Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playable aquatic races in Fortress Mode.  (Read 1158 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Playable aquatic races in Fortress Mode.
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:38:05 am »

Hi, all.  I'm wondering if it's possible to add in an amphibious race that doesn't treat water as dangerous terrain when finding a path through it.  A quick search on the forum suggests it's impossible, but I'd like to get a confirmation, please!
Also known as Zuhayr.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Playable aquatic races in Fortress Mode.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:10:50 am »

From what I experienced, controlled creatures in fort mode only path through water if there is allready a path to where they are going that doesnt require them to path through water. They do seem to give dangerous terain cancelations. I didnt test this extensively, its just what I saw when testing some creature with innate swimming ability.

Perhaps there is a way of overcoming this though, I sure would like to hear it. That same race I made to able to swim in magma, but the idiots keep dragging items through it that burn or melt, and spam me with job cancellation untill they find a non-magma path by coincidence.

I allso found out that my critter can still drown in magma... Shouldnt have had it chase a fire man.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Playable aquatic races in Fortress Mode.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:26:59 am »

Unfortunately like flying creatures in fort mode there is a chance that the creature's brains will turn off while traveling through terrain that a surface creature wouldn't be able to path through.  With water it's not quite as common as flying, as it won't turn off the pathing if there is a ramp or something that can let them out, but it still happens from time to time, if you expect them to climb in and out of water without ramps(which dwarves apparently don't know how to do).

You can't build anything on tiles with more than 2/7 water either, no matter what race you are playing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!