Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prepare to pull lever  (Read 1020 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prepare to pull lever
« on: January 01, 2016, 06:31:33 am »

Similar to "prepare to fire" at a ballista, it would be useful to have a dwarf stand at a lever, but not do anything. When you issue a Pull the Lever job, it gets pulled normally. This would be useful if you need to operate something at a particular time, and you can't afford any delays (such as a lever-based trap).
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prepare to pull lever
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:03:40 am »

I swear I thought about this yesterday. It should be a job that assigns a dwarf to it with a "mandatory presence" tag or something so that the dwarf will stay there - regardless of sleep, hunger, thirst or going on break - until another dwarf comes to replace him.

Also when you give the order to pull lever now! they should run.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29:10 am »

Also when you give the order to pull lever now! they should run.
That's actually a good idea to implement on all tasks that have "Do it now!" priority. When a dwarf goes to do a task that has this priority, they should at least jog to it. Preferably sprint if they can.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:02:16 am »

I'd love prepare to pull. I waste so much time just watching for one thing to be completed so I can put in the order for a lever to be pulled, to prevent the lever from being pulled prematurely.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:18:07 am »

I think this is a great idea and would love to see a more general "Prepare" feature for nearly every building

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:41:21 am »

I think this is a great idea and would love to see a more general "Prepare" feature for nearly every building

Me too.

Also I do think, a do immediately task should get higher priority on the general to do list of a dwarf, especially when it is connected to levers.

After the attack of a wereelk 18 of my dwarves were injured, most of them only slightly. But that meant I had 18 possible infections. I dug out 18 small rooms with 18 levers inside. Each of them had a door to lock once the dwarf is inside. I assigned each of those 18 levers to one of the dwarfs, set the order Pull the lever immediately and on repeat. It took two full weeks till each of the dwarves was, where he should be and pulled the lever except one dwarven child. Especially praying and studying books seemed much more important. And those are very time consuming activities.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:43:00 am by Urist McGoombaBrother »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:40:04 am »

It seems to me that burrows would work as a 90% solution.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:54:37 am »

The problem with burrows and no job in it is that the dwarf you brought in to be prepared to pull the lever/breach the wall/whatever finds there's nothing to do, and decides to take a nap, so when the horrible threat rolls in your lever puller is soundly asleep.