Medieval 2: Total War Grand Campaign
Medieval 2: Total War Americas
Medieval 2: Total War Britannia
Medieval 2: Total War Crusades
Medieval 2: Total War Teutonic
Other ( Medieval 2, Please Post )
Other ( Rome, Please Post )
Other ( Please Post )

Author Topic: Let's Play: Total War! ( Choice between Medieval 2 and Rome )  (Read 2566 times)

Pathos

So, yep, I've finally found something I can play on visit that actually works ( in fact, works BETTER ) in a windowed game.

Let's Play: Total War!

Basically, the Total War games are a series of games in which you control a faction which you can use to conquer, diplomacy-ise and convert everyone else. Just so you don't become surprised later on, I'm pretty awful at these games, so you will see much hilarity occur due to my blunders.

Rome: Total War is the third game in the series, and it's based on the expansion of the Roman Empire across Europe. It's probably the best game to start out with, the unit choices are very interesting ( if not historically accurate ) and it's not unnecessarily cluttered down. It's also a very bright and colourful game, compared to Medieval 2.

The Barbarian Invasion expansion pack deals with the time period where the Roman Empire has split into two, and the Huns and other nomadic factions are moving across Europe. It's a bit more complex and difficult to play, but still very good.

Medieval 2: Total War is the fourth game in the series ( and a sequel to an earlier Total War ) is set during the medieval period, upto the discovery of the New World and gunpowder. It's a bit more complex, darker in terms of setting and has quite a bit of fun politicking. It's probably the best strategic game out of these here. This is the "Grand Campaign".

The Kingdoms expansion adds a few new campaigns ( Conquering of England, Exploration of America, Crusades, Teutonic Order ) which are quite nice to play on their own. You can read more on the wikipedia page.

I'd rather not play Empire ( the early weakness of gunpowder units is hilariously annoying ) nor Napolean. I'm pretty bad at these games in general ( very rusty ) but those two are my worst.

Pick which three we should most likely play, now!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:21:03 am by Pathos »

Pathos

Re: Let's Play: Total War! ( Choice between Medieval 2 and Rome )
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:16:36 pm »

And I didn't include Alexander because that was a terrible expansion.

Alexander? Never heard of it.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »

I vote for Medieval 2 Middle earth mod, which makes the game more lord of the rings-like. It's pretty fun, even though I only played it once, but the start is terrible...

Linkly: http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

EDIT: Oops wrong link
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:44:54 pm by DFNewb »
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:22:42 pm »

http://www.europabarbarorum.com

Sweboz for naked men painted pitch black.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Pathos

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:52:52 pm »

We need more votes! Also, we need people to realise they can vote for three options!

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:01:52 pm »

I also vote for Europa Barbarorum, but any version of Rome will do.  :)
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »

Seriously considering Europa Barbororum.

I think I'll leave the votes until tomorrow morning.

Pathos

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:45:49 am »

It's really sad how few massive mods there are for the games. Are they really that non-conducive to modding?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:49:26 am »

Rome and Medieval 2 are actually pretty mod friendly iirc.

With Empire however, Sega must of put a gun to CA's heads and said "MAKE GAMES UNABLE TO BE MODDED SO WE CAN SELL CRAPPY STAND ALONE EXPANSIONS, Oh yes and promise the fanbase that we'll give them tools to be able to mod Empire but then never release them so we can captivate them with a thin veil of hope so we may steal it away from them and feed on their anger"
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:51:13 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Pathos

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:35 am »

Rome and Medieval 2 are actually pretty mod friendly iirc.

With Empire however, Sega must of put a gun to CA's heads and said "MAKE GAMES UNABLE TO BE MODDED SO WE CAN SELL CRAPPY STAND ALONE EXPANSIONS, Oh yes and promise the fanbase that we'll give them tools to be able to mod Empire but then never release them so we can captivate them with a thin veil of hope so we may steal it away from them and feed on their anger"

Did anyone even buy Napoleon? I mean, wow, what a load of crap.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:34:15 am »

Rome: Europa Barbarorum is indeed awesome. Pick already so we can decide the factions!
Edit: We need to be Pahlava, mainly because Pahlava is horse addicted. (HORSES!) Just gotta love winning battles with 100 kills for every loss. If we play Pahlava, look at this reform guide for them: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=290099
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:50:32 am by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:56:58 am »

RTW.

We will be Rome or Greece.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:57:30 am »

Just testing whether or not R:TW runs on this PC.

Locked, go to this thread instead.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:24:36 am by Pathos »