Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trade suggestions: furniture, and shipping charges  (Read 1333 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trade suggestions: furniture, and shipping charges
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:46:14 pm »

I would like to be able to buy miscellaneous furniture -- mechanisms in particular, but also beds and whatever else.  The impetus is building fortresses on aquifers in the desert: unless I can buy these things, I have to remember to embark with a bunch of stone and wood.

However, their prices would need some adjusting or else it would be impossible to use up my wealth.  Perhaps a shipping charge of 1 per weight?  It always feels weird to me that the caravan is willing to trek miles across the dangerous desert carrying a grand total of a dozen logs, not even getting enough revenue out of it to feed themselves.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: trade suggestions: furniture, and shipping charges
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »

If you demand wood at the highest priority, it'll be about 180% pricier.
Besides, the traders are from the king/queen him(her)self. They'll be fed anyways. How else do they have endless cash?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:31:52 pm »

One should be able to embark with affordable, quality furniture as well. Having to haul in logs instead and process them on-site seems pointless.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:37:25 pm »

Sooner or later trade needs to get redone altogether... I think we need functioning currency, or at least credit, sooner or later.

Me, I want to see more trade agreements, not just trade. Like "We'll deliver a hundred units of grain once a month for a year, and we'll expect to pick up a hundred units of booze every three months from (trade depot, stockpile or new building altogether)
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »

If you demand wood at the highest priority, it'll be about 180% pricier.
Right, so it'll cost 6 instead of 3.  That's still free.

One should be able to embark with affordable, quality furniture as well. Having to haul in logs instead and process them on-site seems pointless.
I like the idea.  Of course dwarves are going to bring their great-grandmother's favourite rock chest when travelling a hundred miles to establish a new colony in a hostile land.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:45 am »

I doubt anyone sane would bother bringing big hunks of carved rock with them when starting an outpost somewhere halfway across the world. Lighter materials make more sense.