Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Channel Designation + Engraving safety  (Read 3778 times)

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Channel Designation + Engraving safety
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

I know that digging out a space next to an engraved wall has a small chance to destroy the engraving, sending the artist into insanity.  But I'm about to channel out the 2 levels above my kings' enormous throne room, and I'm worried about the hundreds of engravings below.

Will digging a channel from the level above destroy an engraved floor below?

Will falling rocks possibly destroy these engravings?

What about channeling a space that is above and one space over from an engraved wall, since that's technically mining out a space next to a wall?

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Channel Designation + Engraving safety
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

I think your last idea was the only safe idea. I'm a little confused as to what your trying to do. Are you channeling -under- a room? Or -above- it? Also, engravers only go insane if a "masterpiece" engraving is destroyed. They don't lose it on every engraving that goes away. Worst case scenario, you crack a hole in your kings room, and you can just fill it up with a -[C]-[f] floor. It won't be as good as an engraving, but better than a hole in the room.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Basically, I'm building a 3-high room for my king, with a border around the edge of the upper levels like many nice hotels.  I already have the first floor, which I've foolishly engraved already, including several walls within the room itself.  Now that it's time to build the channels to knock out the floor above and open it up, it occurs to me that since channels technically try to dig out the "wall" space below it, I could possibly end up destroying some engravings below thanks to the weird "engravings can be destroyed by digging near them" rule.

And since more than 50% of my engravings are masterpieces (my engravers are probably 5xlegendary by now, since I detail everything) losing even one engraved wall is extremely dangerous.

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: mwoody450 ]

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mwoody450:
<STRONG>I know that digging out a space next to an engraved wall has a small chance to destroy the engraving, sending the artist into insanity.  But I'm about to channel out the 2 levels above my kings' enormous throne room, and I'm worried about the hundreds of engravings below.

Will digging a channel from the level above destroy an engraved floor below?

Will falling rocks possibly destroy these engravings?

What about channeling a space that is above and one space over from an engraved wall, since that's technically mining out a space next to a wall?</STRONG>

I think you're fine except for the last case.  Removing the ceiling above an engraving won't affect it.  I don't think falling rock will cause a problem unless you cause a cave-in, which can certainly crash through and destroy your engraved floors.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Booze those guys up ecstasy, build them big bedrooms, and they won't care that much.  If it's like most things, they will be equally annoyed about art defacement whether you destroy one or fifty masterworks of theirs.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>Booze those guys up ecstasy, build them big bedrooms, and they won't care that much.</STRONG>

Uh-uh.  The penalty for art defacement swamps every other thought modifier except artifact creation and being released from prison.  Art defacement will always make a dwarf miserable.