Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002187 times)

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2745 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:48 pm »

I'm new at graphics, usually i just modify the tileset, so how do I make the sprites on the bottom apply to a berserk dwarf?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is my code, am I doing it right?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:04 pm »

Is it possible to make mounts that are immobile untill mounted by using a harmless attack with a syndrome to remove the token and vice versa.
I intend to make many mods one day! If only I had more time to learn and my siblings stopped deleting my work whenever I refuse to be blackmailed.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: October 04, 2012, 10:28:28 pm »

Is it possible to make mounts that are immobile untill mounted by using a harmless attack with a syndrome to remove the token and vice versa.

I've had no luck adding or removing immobile, but you can change it to another creature that isn't immobile.  You'd have to make it wear off over time and reapply it to keep the creature moving.

I've also never managed to actually ride a creature either, even when hacking tags with DFHack.  One modder has made dwarves turn themselves into mechanized armor, you could turn whoever you want to ride a mount into a new creature, that's '*something* mounted'.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:30 pm »

I have more questions and they may be newbish :D

1.Is it feasible to have a weather effect cause death then transformation? Example being: Dwarf A is caught in the mutato cloud. Dwarf A is suffocated. Dwarf A has been killed. Dwarf A has become a Mutato.
2. I've yet to see any race eat eggs. Do eggs in DF have to be cooked before being eaten? And if so, can eggs be used in interactions to say make a meat called Omelet?
3. How would i make a metal material that is nigh indestructible, and resists blunt, slashing, and piercing damage?
4. How would i set up a clay material that can be used to make metal, but cant be used to make say clay pots, jugs, and other clay items?
5. I'm setting up a soil type that is to resemble metal and can i restrict this soil to only allowing metal plants to grow on it? I doubt this is feasible but its worth an ask lol
6. Lastly, and this is my odd question of the day lol, but is it possible to have a material be created and act like water? i feel this has been explained somewhere but im not sure lol.

Welp, thats all my questions I have for now.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: October 04, 2012, 11:23:36 pm »

Dwarfs can't use mounts; it's hardcoded. I'm making custom creatures/entities and such. Although the wearing off thing could be used to simulate something needing to be fed or refueled. Wait does transforming repair limbs and what not?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:31:56 am by Droid15243Z »
I intend to make many mods one day! If only I had more time to learn and my siblings stopped deleting my work whenever I refuse to be blackmailed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: October 05, 2012, 12:25:56 am »

3. How would i make a metal material that is nigh indestructible, and resists blunt, slashing, and piercing damage?

Indestructable -- do you mean as armor? DF implements a system which is based on a probably linearized model of material stress/strain dynamics.  You want high values for impact (blunt) and shear (cutting) yield and fracture, and probably a low value for strain at yield.    Strain-at-yield defines the slope of the stress/strain curve although in odd units; if you make it small then the wearer won't be damaged as much as the armor deforms.  Compressive, tensile, torsion, and bending are defined but I think are not really used.  Toady posted about this I think in Future of the Fortress long ago.

6. Lastly, and this is my odd question of the day lol, but is it possible to have a material be created and act like water? i feel this has been explained somewhere but im not sure lol.

Only water and magma can act like proper fluids.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: October 05, 2012, 12:59:21 am »

Indestructable -- do you mean as armor? DF implements a system which is based on a probably linearized model of material stress/strain dynamics.  You want high values for impact (blunt) and shear (cutting) yield and fracture, and probably a low value for strain at yield.    Strain-at-yield defines the slope of the stress/strain curve although in odd units; if you make it small then the wearer won't be damaged as much as the armor deforms.  Compressive, tensile, torsion, and bending are defined but I think are not really used.  Toady posted about this I think in Future of the Fortress long ago.

Only water and magma can act like proper fluids.

I should elaborate more i guess lol. for the material it has to be fireproof, able to withstand any kind of blow that is dealt to it(keeping the wearer safe) but still being able to cut through itself.

and i thought as much with the water lol

EDIT: Lol i wasnt thinking. Ok i know how to make the material protective thanks to me actually reading :P
now i need to know: how do i make it able to cut through any metal like butter?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:08:16 am by Sanure »
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: October 05, 2012, 03:08:45 am »

Is there a way to make a custom item that is used to tame a specific creature. Like a pokeball to a pokemon. Wait, theres a way to make a pokemon defeated even after transformation! IndigoFenix just made a creature that dies by over heating because even though transforming fixes limbs and stuff it retains its temperature. So you could probably make a custom workshop or something to cool down the pokeball so when you send out a pokemon it won't die! :D
I might make a pokemon mod when I get some decent modding experience.

Kellnaved

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Dwarfs thouger
« Reply #2753 on: October 05, 2012, 06:21:57 am »

Greetings from Austria!

I like to play my forts with relatively few dwarfs and so the dead of even 1 or 2 might be of bigger impact than normaly. So I would like to know if it is possible to make my dwarfs more able to survive injuries like a severed hand or foot a lost eye or a puctured lung  and make lethal injuries like on the heart or brain much less likely (or impossible). I guess I´m looking for ways to:

make dwarfs far less likely to die from:

-) bloodloss
-) infection
-) damage to vital organs

They should not be immortal but if injured the time you have to get them to the hospital and tend to their injuries should be greatly increased before they would die. The idea is to have old veteran soldiers that have lost an eye, an ear a few fingers during their long service but are still able to fight.

Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:19:47 am by Kellnaved »

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:34 pm »

You can mod them tuffer edit some tokens and increase healing rate. I'm not an expert. The wiki should help with.  :)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: October 05, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »

Question about werebeasts would it be possible to morph into one when you become enraged? or is it hard coded?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »

If I wanted to modify a metal to be sharper, what values affect this? I.E. Is is MAX_EDGE the one that affects sharpness, or no? What does?

If I wanted the metal to have a syndrome, how would I do that? Would I have to create a custom syndrome, or can I just define the symptoms in the metal, without making a syndrome?

How would I create a syndrome?

How would I change the color of the metal to a bloodish red color?

If I was holding a metal with a syndrome, would gloves protect me from it?

If I was carrying a metal with a syndrome in a container, would that protect me from the syndrome?

If I had a syndrome metal that boiled at super low temps, would the metal form a syndrome gas cloud?

Also, is Necrosis a fast happening thing, or is it a slow, over time thing? I.E. Would it be a viable weapon in combat, or would it just suck for the victim later?

Thanks for your time answering these.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: October 05, 2012, 05:37:17 pm »

I have more questions and they may be newbish :D

1.Is it feasible to have a weather effect cause death then transformation? Example being: Dwarf A is caught in the mutato cloud. Dwarf A is suffocated. Dwarf A has been killed. Dwarf A has become a Mutato.
2. I've yet to see any race eat eggs. Do eggs in DF have to be cooked before being eaten? And if so, can eggs be used in interactions to say make a meat called Omelet?
4. How would i set up a clay material that can be used to make metal, but cant be used to make say clay pots, jugs, and other clay items?
5. I'm setting up a soil type that is to resemble metal and can i restrict this soil to only allowing metal plants to grow on it? I doubt this is feasible but its worth an ask lol

Welp, thats all my questions I have for now.

1. Not really; materials can't have interactions, only syndromes.
2. Yes, they have to be cooked. Yes, they can be used in reactions.
3. See adamantine? Like that.'
4. If it's clay, it has to be able to make clay items, due to the way the game recognizes clay.
5. Plants can't be restricted to certain soil, so no.
6. Magma and water are the only fluids in the game. None more can be modded in.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: October 05, 2012, 05:58:20 pm »

-snip-

1. Not really; materials can't have interactions, only syndromes.
2. Yes, they have to be cooked. Yes, they can be used in reactions.
3. See adamantine? Like that.'
4. If it's clay, it has to be able to make clay items, due to the way the game recognizes clay.
5. Plants can't be restricted to certain soil, so no.
6. Magma and water are the only fluids in the game. None more can be modded in.

Thanks Putnam :D

I have another set questions that pertains to milk.

1. Can milk have a syndrome attached to it?
2. How do I go about using a specific type of milk in a reaction?

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: October 05, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »

I've just started delving into modding the raws, and I have a question - one that the search didnt help with (its possible I just didnt search for the right thing, but regardless). So Im asking here, cause it just makes sense :D

If I were to go into the reaction_smelter RAW and, say, delete the info for making, say, lay pewter (cause who ever uses that anyways?) will that break the game, or just remove it from ever being produced? Mostly want to do this to unclutter the smelter menu from stuff I never use (lay pewter, black bronze, etc).

also, if I wanted to change the way adamantine is produced from Raw -> thread -> wafer to Raw -> wafer - >thread (which makes more sense to me as well as avoidiing the thread stockpile problem) how would I go about doing this?

hopefuly in answering these two question I will glean enough knowledge to further help myself with future endeavors! (teach a man to fish, etc)

EDIT
I decided to poke around the wiki while I waited to see what people might reply with, specifically the reactions bit; I was comparing the info in the reactions section of the wiki to what I was seeing in  the reactions_smelter file and  am a bit confused..

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:make adamantine wafers]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:15000:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

for the Reagent line..
A is the name
15000 is the quantity (or, since its thread, the size)
thread:no_subtype is the item token?
Metal:adamantine <-- is this the material token, or the material token and modifier, or m odifier?
I followed the link to the "full list" of material tokens and didnt see one called just "Metal".. I did see a "Metal_Ore" under modifiers though.

Guidance needed!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:16:54 pm by lwCoyote »
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 544