Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002273 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2895 on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:34 pm »

What happens if I do "put the weapon in the entity file?" Will the game crash or will that just mean that chainswords could show up outside of player made fortresses, like being genned in worldgen and showing up in towns in adventure mode?

Well it means two things:
1. You will be able to make it in Forge (The reason you don't put it in the entity file is because that would allow you to make it in the forge, which you asked to make it not do)
2. Chainsaws will show up in world gen, trade caravans, etc.

The only reason you don't put it in the weapons part of the entity file is because you would be able to make it in the forge.

*EDIT*

Now for my question....Is it possible to make all tissue one material, except for one material?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:31:15 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Nukarama

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: adorable stupidity]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: October 21, 2012, 01:23:19 am »

One question.
What effect does velocity have on weapon effectiveness?
For example:[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250], what would happen if I set 1250 to 9000? Or 9?
And when the site infiltration feature is done, we can do that thing where two short people disguise themselves as one tall guy in a trenchcoat. Except the two people in question will be halves of the same person.
The perfect disguise.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2897 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:39 am »

Well, in physics it is Force = Mass * Velocity, so a higher velocity in DF will result in more froce being applied. The weapon should do more damage. To what exact degree, no one can figure out precisely, because the sourcecode is unknown, only arenatest will help you there.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: October 21, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »

I have a few questions,
I used spoilers so it wouldn't take up over half the page.
Spoiler: First (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Second (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Third (click to show/hide)
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: October 21, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »

1. No.
2. Yes, exact same way as booze, just put the syndrome on the structural material instead of the drink.
3. Define "spore" first.

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: October 21, 2012, 03:17:06 pm »

By spore I mean have children.
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: October 21, 2012, 03:26:31 pm »

No.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: October 21, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »

I made a reaction to produce chain-swords. Testing it out in fort Mode, and it works, except for the fact that the dorfs won't use the materials the reaction calls for, they just pull chain-swords right out of the air. There's no defining material in the product's name; rather than say something like "iron chainsword" the stocks screen instead simply says "chainsword."

I had to hijack a smelter reaction, since I had genned a world and spent half an hour setting up a volcano fort only to realize I hadn't given the dorfs permission to use the original reaction, and I didn't want to have to regen a world and start over, but as far as I know, that shouldn't be the problem.

Spoiler: Here's the reactions: (click to show/hide)

What'd I do wrong?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »

You named all of your reagents "A", for one.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 21, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

...Huh. I'm probably gonna go look at more reactions on the wiki then. Herp derp.

EDIT: The wiki isn't terribly clear as to how reactions work. I understand that the reaction is done at a workshop and all, that works fine, except for getting dorfs to use the required materials. I don't get the whole "naming reagents" thing. Does this define what objects are needed for dorfs to perform the reaction? By "naming reagents" do I have to add the tags for the reagents, like TRAPCOMP_LARGESERRATEDDISC in place of "A" for the corresponding reagent?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:35:36 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: October 21, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »

The reagent name doesn't have to be anything at all, it just has to be there and be different from all the other reagents. It's arbitrary.

EDIT: In the raws, I've only seen ROOT used for TLCM_TIMING, but the string dump shows that FADE is another valid option. Anyone know what the difference is?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:50:41 pm by Putnam »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: October 21, 2012, 07:28:51 pm »

The reagent name doesn't have to be anything at all, it just has to be there and be different from all the other reagents. It's arbitrary.

Ah, now that explanation makes sense. It's basically like defining variables in Java; having different variables all named the same thing screws up the code. Thanks for the help!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

Did that work? I could try fixing it, but I have only been at it a day.

But in any case, the best teacher is experience. I usually just fiddle around with stuff until they work. I tried to fix it a little, and point out what I thought was wrong. Good luck!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 21, 2012, 07:38:44 pm »

Ah, now that explanation makes sense. It's basically like defining variables in Java; having different variables all named the same thing screws up the code. Thanks for the help!

It's like defining variables in pretty much every programming language that uses them, which is pretty much every programming language :P

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 21, 2012, 10:48:25 pm »

It's like defining variables in pretty much every programming language that uses them, which is pretty much every programming language :P

Heh. I figured it's in all programming languages, I just couldn't state that as a fact since at the moment all I'm really familiar with is Java, as a part of my high school's computer science class. I know some HTML, CSS, and Javascript, but that's more for web site design, blah blah blah, basically I didn't want to assume something and end up getting corrected.

...but then it happened anyway, so eh.  :D

Did that work? I could try fixing it, but I have only been at it a day.

But in any case, the best teacher is experience. I usually just fiddle around with stuff until they work. I tried to fix it a little, and point out what I thought was wrong. Good luck!

I think the main problem I'm encountering is due to my setting the GET_MATERIAL from the trap component, not the steel bar. I assumed that the game could process what materials the trap parts were made of and set the item to be made from the same material like using green glass disks to equal a green glass chainsword, since that would be what the actual saw part is made of. In retrospect it makes sense to set it to the bar instead, if only to get it to work right.

More than likely I'll have to fiddle with it for a while. Dorfs still will just make the swords out of thin air, and I can't seem to find the job listing in either the forge menu or from the manager, thought once I jack a smelter reaction I can find the job fine. I might make my own workshop instead and take it from there. I'm betting there's just a bunch of little errors in the reaction that add up.

The pointers are much appreciated though, everybody. The wiki explains tokens and such, but it's not much help at explaining what tokens go where to do what, and that's when I turn to you guys!

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 544