Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002257 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3120 on: November 14, 2012, 08:36:58 am »

Anyone know any good walkaround to do stuff with water? I was hoping to have a fishing boat that acted like a cat (except with fish), but I can't seem to actually get them in the water to do their thing.
If you 'make' these creatures on land just make a pit zone and pit them into the water. Whether they'll even hunt vermin in the water remains to be seen.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: November 14, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »

Would it be possible to make a workshop somewhat like a Magma Forge except it uses water and produces fish?

Maybe, thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure if you can designate it over water, or what you would do to do that, though.

[Would NEEDS_WATER work for this? Does anyone know what wells use?]

Couldn't you make it a creature with [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN]?

Yes and no. That would make them naturally spawn there, but the AI makes it run to land still. So if you brought them as a pet, they would be useless.

If you 'make' these creatures on land just make a pit zone and pit them into the water. Whether they'll even hunt vermin in the water remains to be seen.

It has not been working so far. They just keep running out of the water every time you push them in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:13:44 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Admiral_Aorta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »

Sounds like an issue with secrets/curses.
I haven't added any new secrets or curses yet, could interaction on creatures be causing it? Several of the castes in the new entity I added have interactions.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:29 pm »

I haven't added any new secrets or curses yet, could interaction on creatures be causing it? Several of the castes in the new entity I added have interactions.

Unlikely. As far as I know, they don't actually use interactions in world gen. Like I said, I would assume FPS error, if you minimize the window it might help.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: November 14, 2012, 11:45:59 pm »

Is it just me, or is CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION really damn weak? I mean setting SEV:100 on a creature's brain doesn't even harm it in the slightest.

EDIT: Upon further testing, I've found that for this syndrome
Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:BUFF]
[SYN_NAME:Brain Impairment test]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:<severity>:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:START:0:END:20]

<severity> must be at least 9900 to completely impair brain function, even 9899 doesn't cause an "impaired" status. Can anyone confirm this in the arena? This is on a clean copy of DF by the way.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:53:23 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: November 15, 2012, 12:03:13 am »

I'm not sure if brain impairment actually does anything other than cause some weird instant death oddities involving combat.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: November 15, 2012, 12:46:44 am »

I'm not sure if brain impairment actually does anything other than cause some weird instant death oddities involving combat.
Yeah, the idea was to find the threshold of "Alright if you get this much you're screwed" and put that onto some syndromes so if you had too many you'd die almost instantly. Still though, 9900 is a bit much, but now as I'm testing it ON said syndromes and not alone, it seems to be impairing fine... I don't even.

EDIT: Alright what the tits. Now 100 is enough to kill some poor idiot who I forced to drink bogeyman ichor.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:51:07 am by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: November 15, 2012, 12:56:08 am »

Interactions are a lot less strong in terms of severity than any other syndrome, remember.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:45 am »

Interactions are a lot less strong in terms of severity than any other syndrome, remember.
I would think that when adding a syndrome via interaction the syndrome should be the same strength as it would be when acquired from ingestion, but whatever. INT/100 = SYN so 33 should probably do the trick (still testing).

So have you even gotten custom bogeymen to work without having number of bogeymen set to 1? Whenever I set it to 0 my custom ones don't spawn.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

Can anyone figure out anything wrong with this tissue layer color thing?

[CV_NEW_TAG:SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:WING:ALL]
[CV_NEW_TAG:TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:TYRIAN_PURPLE:1]
[CV_NEW_TAG:TLCM_NOUN:wings:PLURAL]

Here's the code for the color:

[COLOR:TYRIAN_PURPLE]
[NAME:imperial purple]
[WORD:PURPLE]
[RGB:119:0:60]

EDIT: I know this may be an odd question to ask, but... is there... some sort of limit for how many creatures/castes can be added to the game? I doubt there's a soft one, but... it appears I've hit a hard one :(

EDIT 2: NVM. However, I have officially hit memory usage problems in my mod due to having over 5000 castes. Any help with that?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:00:46 am by Putnam »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: November 16, 2012, 12:11:06 am »

EDIT 2: NVM. However, I have officially hit memory usage problems in my mod due to having over 5000 castes. Any help with that?

Remove some casts?

In other words, ITS OVER 5000! >:( >:( >:(!!!!!!!11$!

Maybe something no body uses in that mod? Animal men?

Snow Gibbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:39 am »

I gots another question for you gurus again:

Is there a way to change the name of the material made when a hide is tanned? i.e. is there any way to make a "Wolf Fur Cloak" instead of a "Wolf Leather Cloak"?

Additionally, is here an easy way to make an animal not have a tannable hide at all? I am quite tired of Swan and Peacock leather clothes.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:58 am »

I gots another question for you gurus again:

Is there a way to change the name of the material made when a hide is tanned? i.e. is there any way to make a "Wolf Fur Cloak" instead of a "Wolf Leather Cloak"?

Additionally, is here an easy way to make an animal not have a tannable hide at all? I am quite tired of Swan and Peacock leather clothes.
Make them use a skin template which doesn't have the material_reaction tag (copy the template with the material_reaction_product [?] removed)
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: November 16, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »

For question 1 just create a copy of the Leather Material template and change this:
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:leather]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:leather]
to this:
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:"whatever you want"]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:"whatever you want"]
The top line determines what it is called as a stand-alone item (i.e. 'pelt' would give you "wolf pelt" instead of "wolf leather") and the second line determines what is used to describe items of that material (i.e. 'fur' would give you "wolf fur coat" instead of "wolf leather coat"). Then just assign the animals that you want to have 'fur' or whatever to use the new type of leather.

For number 2 ArkFallen is right, just remove the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:XXXXX] line from a copy of the skin material template and then use that as your new skin.

(Since leather and skin are assigned in the STANDARD_MATERIALS body detail plan, especially if you want to do it to several creatures, it will probably just to be faster to make a copy of the body detail plan with the new materials instead of the old ones titled STANDARD_MATERIALS_FUR or something similar and then go through the raws changing STANDARD_MATERIALS to your new ones on the creatures you want to apply it to.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: November 17, 2012, 12:31:59 am »

More stupid questions about creature modding.
I have been wondering if the "[WINGS]" attachment to the "[BODY:]" token would give creatures flight...
I know the "[FLIER]" token exists, but I am wondering if wings would give the creature flight, but only while the wings are attached.

A completely different question, can you make a creature permanentally count as a different one using syndromes? For example:
Spoiler: before (click to show/hide)
(The ASCII is just demonstrational)
Could you, say make a creature turn from that, To:
Spoiler: after (click to show/hide)
Permanentally, and it count as that creature (the "#" in the demonstrations), no longer counting as "Human" (the "U")?
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 544