Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002274 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3810 on: January 24, 2013, 04:10:00 pm »

Which set of raws are you editing? If you are editing the save raws nothing new will show up in the arena and if it's a new object it won't show up in the game. If you are editing the normal raws then it won't show up in a current game but it should show up in the arena running the default raws.

Are you putting these things in new files or in old ones? If it's a new file make sure you have the "filename.txt" and the "[OBJECT:WHATEVER]" at the top of the file or it won't read it. Also your filenames should start with "creature_" or "plant_" or whatever type of file you are creating.

If it is in an old file did you make sure that the [CREATURE:XXXX] or equivalent is all in capitals? You should try to avoid lowercase letters and spaces in object names.

Is your errorlog.txt showing anything?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: January 24, 2013, 04:20:59 pm »

It was a new file, and I guess I was missing the name of the file on the top. Oops. It's fixed now and they work fine, though.

Thank you!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:22 pm »

I want to implement skill_learn_rate from modest mod's optional configuration files, it uses

but masterwork mod uses
skill_rate

what's the difference between these
skill_learn_rate
skill_learn_rates
skill_rate
skill_rates

as found on the wiki here
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Creature_token
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:39:14 pm by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: January 24, 2013, 07:41:07 pm »

The article you linked tells you exactly what the difference between those are.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:40 pm »

not really

skill_Rate
As SKILL_RATES for individual skills. Requires CAN_LEARN or INTELLIGENT to function.
 (looks like it's related to skill_rates, i.e. the "As")

skill_learn_rate
The rate at which this creature learns this skill. Requires CAN_LEARN or INTELLIGENT to function.

I can read, I need help in understanding the difference

update:
are some of these related to each other?  I mean, I see not all 4 are needed to define skill rates, but are some tied to another?  Like in pairs, and what pairs are they to be used in?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:44:30 pm by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »

SKILL_RATE is literally SKILL_RATES, except for only one skill.

SKILL_LEARN_RATES is like SKILL_RATES, but only learning, nothing involving rust. SKILL_LEARN_RATE is for only one skill. The wiki says as much.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: January 26, 2013, 02:52:05 am »

I've been trying to find a relatively simplistic manner to add a "magical shield" to a creature, which should basically behave as a bubble around them.  As far as I know, I can approximate this by adding a new tissue layer on top of the skin with whatever material I want (iron, perhaps), although I assume that won't cover their eyes (not a big deal).  Supposedly there's also a way to set this up so that the creature can't be killed by the shield being damaged.  I'm having a bit of a time figuring it out though.

I hear there's a mod that does something like this already.  Is it in Masterwork?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:58 am »

I've been trying to find a relatively simplistic manner to add a "magical shield" to a creature, which should basically behave as a bubble around them.  As far as I know, I can approximate this by adding a new tissue layer on top of the skin with whatever material I want (iron, perhaps), although I assume that won't cover their eyes (not a big deal).  Supposedly there's also a way to set this up so that the creature can't be killed by the shield being damaged.  I'm having a bit of a time figuring it out though.

I hear there's a mod that does something like this already.  Is it in Masterwork?

Just put a tissue layer of a strong material on top; it'll cover everything and, if you make the tissue right, it shouldn't cause any issues with pain or dying or anything like that.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: January 26, 2013, 03:00:45 am »

Right, so do I need to define all new templates for that, or is there a simpler way?  I see that you can define tissues locally at least, at least from the bronze colossus' raws.  This is why I was hoping there was an example.  :)

If not, I'll just make new templates and plug away at it until I figure it out.

Edit: I mean more about tissue layers than actual tissue and material definitions.  Kind of annoying to have to create a new tissue layer definition for just one creature, but if it's necessary it is what it is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:05:15 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: January 26, 2013, 03:17:02 am »

The bronze colossus raw is the perfect example; in fact, you could literally copy+paste that and use it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:57 am »

Iron Men have a layer of gas around their bodies that works likes that (though not very protective). Just replace that with a better material.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: January 26, 2013, 11:46:34 am »

I'm trying to give a creature a shallow layer of shelling around their body, to simulate toughened skin or... something like that. It's supposed to be over the skin. I don't get any errorlogs, but I can't tell any real difference in the combat logs (I anticipated 'tearing the shell' or something like that'), and I'm not sure if that's because of the fact that the layer is too thin or I'm doing something wrong.

This is my body detail plan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And while I'm here, is there an easy way to make these layers not cover an area of the body? I'm thinking soft bellies, specifically.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: January 26, 2013, 01:13:00 pm »

I'm trying to give a creature a shallow layer of shelling around their body, to simulate toughened skin or... something like that. It's supposed to be over the skin. I don't get any errorlogs, but I can't tell any real difference in the combat logs (I anticipated 'tearing the shell' or something like that'), and I'm not sure if that's because of the fact that the layer is too thin or I'm doing something wrong.

This is my body detail plan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And while I'm here, is there an easy way to make these layers not cover an area of the body? I'm thinking soft bellies, specifically.

If you want toughened skin, it would be a lot easier to just toughen the skin... You can make the tissue out of something stronger, like bone or iron, if that is what you are looking for?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:01 pm »

Iron Men have a layer of gas around their bodies that works likes that (though not very protective). Just replace that with a better material.

Iron men have a layer of gas under their bodies, not around.

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »

If you want toughened skin, it would be a lot easier to just toughen the skin... You can make the tissue out of something stronger, like bone or iron, if that is what you are looking for?

Well, the original intent was to creature creatures with tough backs and arms and such, and softer underbellies/necks or whatever. If that doesn't work like I want it to for whatever reason, then I guess that's what I'll do.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 544