Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999487 times)

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6390 on: November 10, 2013, 04:36:34 am »

I have a custom material intended only for armour, but civs still bring finished goods made of that material. Is this because of some error on my part in the raws? If not, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Here's the raw for the material.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Metal_template, for reference (all it really adds is [IS_METAL], I think?)

And the reaction the civ gets to have access to the material, which does not occur naturally.

Is the problem here that IS_METAL implicitly allows the material to be used for crafts and tools? If I remove it, will the civ be unable to bring armour made of that material?

Or is it that ITEMS_ARMOR also allows crafts, and I'm shafted either way if I want that armour?

Does nobody have an answer for this?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #6391 on: November 10, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »

Hey! \o/ I got finally question!

How to you create drinks which gives temporal interactions, like let's say firebreathing?...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6392 on: November 10, 2013, 05:16:07 pm »

Hey! \o/ I got finally question!

How to you create drinks which gives temporal interactions, like let's say firebreathing?...
Yes. Give it syndromes with CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION... see the wiki on syndromes and interactions for examples. You add the syndrome in the drink material of the plant. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

spikeof2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: November 10, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »

Where do I install plugins for DFHack?

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: November 10, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »

I have a custom material intended only for armour, but civs still bring finished goods made of that material. Is this because of some error on my part in the raws? If not, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

And the reaction the civ gets to have access to the material, which does not occur naturally.

Is the problem here that IS_METAL implicitly allows the material to be used for crafts and tools? If I remove it, will the civ be unable to bring armour made of that material?

Or is it that ITEMS_ARMOR also allows crafts, and I'm shafted either way if I want that armour?

This is a catch 22.

IS_METAL is indeed your problem.  Because your material is qualified as metal, many hard coded reactions will use the material, such as making things like bins or cages, that don't have a requisite ITEMS_XXX material usage token.  IS_METAL also means that your material (Carapace) can be melted down at a smelter.

If you remove IS_METAL, then your material won't be used by or brought by outside entities unless they use wood weapons / armor, in which case you must have your carapace derive from wood.  This is because the game only has entities use METAL equipment.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: November 10, 2013, 06:54:55 pm »

Where do I install plugins for DFHack?

Plugins go in the plugins folder. Scripts go in the scripts folder.

If it's a .so or a .dll, it's a plugin. If it's a .lua or .rb, it's a script.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6396 on: November 10, 2013, 07:00:14 pm »

This is a catch 22.

IS_METAL is indeed your problem.  Because your material is qualified as metal, many hard coded reactions will use the material, such as making things like bins or cages, that don't have a requisite ITEMS_XXX material usage token.  IS_METAL also means that your material (Carapace) can be melted down at a smelter.

If you remove IS_METAL, then your material won't be used by or brought by outside entities unless they use wood weapons / armor, in which case you must have your carapace derive from wood.  This is because the game only has entities use METAL equipment.
Sorry, I didnt see your question before.

You have two solutions for this:
The metal gets the SPECIAL tag, which will stop it from being traded. Its best to test this, if you still see it at embark, it will still appear in caravans. If its missing, it worked, and its only locally available.

Remove your reaction that produces bars, and replace it with reactions that directly make the item (armors) instead of bars. As soon as your civ gets access to bars (through mining and smelting, or a reaction like you posted) they will trade all HARD_MAT items made from this material.

These two are the only things that work. The first removes it completely from trading and embark, and you can locally use the material, although your metalcrafters will still make tools/crafts/furniture from it, if you want to.

The second solution removes it from embark and trading, and you can only generate armor with it, but requires custom reactions.

See the volcanic foundry in MDF for an example, I had the same problem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

spikeof2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: November 10, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »

What exactly IS a secret?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: November 10, 2013, 08:15:29 pm »

Secrets are magical abilities or knowledges that are given to mortals by the gods, or passed down from supernatural creatures or others who possess a secret to those looking to learn from them.

At the moment, it is just necromancy, but new ones can be modded in through interactions. There is a sample interaction for secrets in the raw files, as well as examples of evil weather, vampirism, and were-beasts.

spikeof2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: November 10, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »

How would I go about adding a new secret?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: November 10, 2013, 08:35:46 pm »

new ones can be modded in through interactions. There is a sample interaction for secrets in the raw files, as well as examples of evil weather, vampirism, and were-beasts.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6401 on: November 11, 2013, 02:43:38 am »

Is it possible to make a plant first spawn in the first cavern layer, then get more common as it gets closer to hell? Or is the rarity uniform?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: November 11, 2013, 02:51:03 am »

You can't distinguish frequency between layers or biomes, no. You could juke the system by making slightly different versions of the same thing that only start appearing in the later layers, but that also has its crinkles.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6403 on: November 11, 2013, 03:00:43 am »

Okay, well it's good enough to just have it spawn in the lowest layer I suppose. Thanks much!

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: November 11, 2013, 05:38:19 am »

-snip-

This is a catch 22.

Sorry, I didnt see your question before.

You have two solutions for this:
The metal gets the SPECIAL tag, which will stop it from being traded. Its best to test this, if you still see it at embark, it will still appear in caravans. If its missing, it worked, and its only locally available.

Remove your reaction that produces bars, and replace it with reactions that directly make the item (armors) instead of bars. As soon as your civ gets access to bars (through mining and smelting, or a reaction like you posted) they will trade all HARD_MAT items made from this material.

These two are the only things that work. The first removes it completely from trading and embark, and you can locally use the material, although your metalcrafters will still make tools/crafts/furniture from it, if you want to.

The second solution removes it from embark and trading, and you can only generate armor with it, but requires custom reactions.

See the volcanic foundry in MDF for an example, I had the same problem.

I see. Thank you for the responses. I guess the only solution is to remove it altogether from trading as loose pieces, as much as I dislike that. Although since the actual soldiers of the civ still predominantly bring armour made of low-tier metals under the current scheme, I guess it doesn't make much difference.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 544