Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!  (Read 102990 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:09 am »

Hi all, I'm TinyPirate, you may remember me from some Dwarf Fortress tutorials.

Well, I'm currently working on a pretty awesome new project, which I can't speak to in detail just yet...

I'm writing a book on Dwarf Fortress!

...but which offers a pretty cool opportunity for Dwarf Fortress players: I'm looking to get a half-dozen, maybe more, cool DF anecdotes illustrated by Tim Denee, the guy behind the awesome Oilfurnace and Bronzemurder DF comics. Yes! Your name could end up attached to some story artifying by Tim!

If you'd like a shot at having a DF story of yours illustrated you need to:
- Write a reply here telling Tim and I your awesome, funny, sad or silly anecdote from DF. I'm talking things like your fortress being terrified of a giant who, it turns out, is armed with a sock, your fortress being destroyed by zombie mussels, that sort of stuff.

- Tim and I will be the final arbiters on 'cool stories'. Tim will turn the ones we chose into one-page panels of art and text.

- You can tell me about stories that aren't yours, but I can only use them if I can get hold of the owner of the anecdote.

- Be prepared to receive a PM from me if chosen so I can grab your real (or not real) name for an acknowledgement line.

- Get your anecdote here in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm happy to answer any questions or provide any clarification and in a month or so I'll be able to announce the project the art is part of more fully. Until then, I hope to read some awesome contributions soon!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:54:41 pm by TinyPirate »

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:45:17 am »

This is not really a story but, i store some of the blood of each of my victims in waterskins... and drink from a random one before sleeping.

I just had to get that out there.

Sorry.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Glandouze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:12:53 am »

Humm...my severed hand killed me when a mummy reanimated it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:12 am »

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:23:56 am »

A few from Deathgate. A story about the conquest of hell.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:31:31 am by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

walkwithoutrhythm

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Spice]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:25:01 am »

The story of my all time favorite fortress Riverwalled

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:42 am »

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?
Not quite the same :P

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:52 am »

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?
Not quite the same :P

Haha! Indeed :P
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:34:15 am »

I unfortunately don't have any stories worth drawing. BUT i have to say thank you for your tutorials! They're the ones i learned to play dwarf fortress with!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:05:29 am »

Already mentioned it on another thread here, but this made me laugh.

My dwarfs are all hiding out in the food stockpile, safely burrowed from an invading forgotten beast, when a vampire, disguised as one of my immigrants, decides to take that exact moment to attack, kill and drain the blood of one of my dwarfs.  Due to the crowded location, there are plenty of witnesses.

I check the justice screen and see 10 witnesses.  9 of them accuse the same dwarf, we'll call him Urist McVampyfangs.  The 10th "witness" turns out to be Vampyfangs himself, who cunningly tries to lay the blame for the attack on someone else.  Less cunningly, he tried to blame a goose.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:55:41 pm »

Heh! Already some cool stories here! Thanks and I hope folks keep them coming :)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »

I have one.  My partner's fort (she was just learning to play, and had neglected food issues) had a starvation issue going on.  suddenly, the armorsmith gets a bright idea--a mood--and goes and creates a platinum boot.  I help her sort the food issue, but the best friend of Urist McMiserable dies of starvation.  All is well, but then suddenly, he goes berzerk!

He charges off after Urist McAwesomeArmorsmith...and beats him to death with the boot he just made.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:34:59 pm »

Oh wow!  This is an AWESOME idea!  Here's my mini-tale!

When I was still new to the game, a dragon appeared right after a goblin ambush.  I thought everyone was inside the gates, but nooooo, I had a straggler still out there.  He was a swordsman by the name of Adil Bootmirrors.  The dragon went after him immediately while I scrambled the military again.  Unlike the goblin ambush, which they set upon in a flash, they took AGES to get in gear!  Finally, they gathered their weapons and set out.  They soon surrounded the beast but refused to attack.  I couldn't find Adil anywhere and feared the worst.  I kept thinking, "no, not Adil Bootmirrors!"  He was one of the first non-original 7 dwarves I knew by name due to being a sword dwarf in a military dominated by axe and hammer wielders. 

Well... surprise, surprise, I located him alive and well in the "U" menu and zoomed in.  He was back at home!  While his lazy buddies were taking their sweet time he had already slain the dragon!  I checked the combat log to find that Adil had dodged the monster's opening charge, causing the dragon to fall.  He then got lucky and stabbed it in the head, killing it with a single strike!  Well done, Adil Bootmirrors of the Crazed Syrup, hero of the fortress Greatestbodice!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:46:51 pm by VerdantSF »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »

I have a few... They're not exactly "funny", but some of them would make for good pictures.

One is the story of the ill-fated fortress Incestchained, a cozy little hellhole beside a river.

The other was the story of Felgoth the Dragon (wasn't actually his name, but I don't remember it).

The story of Lethiirecu.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:03:48 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

timdenee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »

Hey thanks guys, this is awesome stuff. Without revealing any details, I can only assure you that is a legit project and a pretty cool opportunity...

I will be watching with interest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15