Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287296 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »

This is the worldgen I've been working with. (in 34.05 or 34.06)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It creates a flat swamp world with 150 volcanoes, and generally more goblins than dwarves.  This is what I need to test with, and it's worked well.  Generally I get at least one embark out of any random gen that has magma at embark-1 or embark -2, both of which are ideal.

So, the problem.  Even making this world 100% flat (which is the case without the volcanoes) as soon as I start adding volcanoes, they start extruding themselves all over the map, making mountains where there were none.  In general, this is fine, but it gets tedious looking through several dozen maps to get another embark that I want.  I would prefer it if i could make an entire map with every volcano "top" (embark-1 or embark -2) was where I wanted it.

I have tried erosion.  This doesn't work as there are no elevations high enough for rivers, and thusly, no rivers, and thusly, erosion does nothing.  Even if it did/does work, the volcanoes evidently appear after erosion runs, and so aren't affected by it.

I have tried adjusting the volcanism and rain meshes, and they do not appear to have any effect.  I have tried a wide variety of numbers of volcanoes and overall minimum and maximum volcanism as well as volcanism x-variance/y-variance, to no effect.

I have tried using a world elevation of 100, 200, 299 and everything in between, to no effect.

So I'm looking for specific suggestions regarding how to get more volcanoes that have their "top" at embark -1 or embark -2.  Thanks!

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »

I've been trying to generate a world where there *were* a lot of civilizations, but all or almost all of them have died out. I wanna be an archeologist.

I've had some luck with pocket islands with very long histories (2-3000 years), but still can't get down below about 30% of sites abandoned. Any tips on how I can get to the age of emptyness, or get mass die-off in larger worlds?

Spinal232

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2012, 04:23:34 am »

Seed in previous post.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)
Bah, didn't get the x's:

EPIC canyon.  When the embark screen says major river, it's not shitting around.  It's a monster river that's nearly the width of an entire embark square (47 tiles wide) at the bottom of a 30 z-level deep canyon with sheer cliffs straight down.  Up at the very top, there's also a stream that empties into the river, so when the water thaws, there's going to be one hell of a waterfall here.  As you can see from the IsoWorld screenshot, this river has created a huge canyon across the land.

Course the stupid dorfs embark right smack dab in the middle of the damn thing.

I found this spot last night and I embarked one tile to the right.  That cut off almost the entire part of the map to the left of the river except for a single strip of cliff 1 tile wide.  That was a better setup since the dorfs embarked at the top of the cliff instead of the middle of the bloody river.

No iron here either.  The embark has tetrahedrite, sphalerite, and galena (bah).  There is plenty of sand though, and kaolinite rather than clay.  There are some kimberlite veins but unfortunately, no diamonds.  Top level of the map is 140, river is at 110, bottom is 71.  Two aquifers, a small one over on the left side, and a larger one underneath the river at the south end of the map.  There are no magma pools extending into the caverns, you'll have to dig all the way down to the sea.  However, the bottom of the map is only 40 levels under the river, so it's not too far.

I used your embark to make my fortress, eventually lost it to clowns but had fun with it. Was an awesome site!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11137-canyoncrossedthebridgeofimpunity
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:26:34 am by Spinal232 »

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2012, 07:38:54 pm »

I've been trying to generate a world where there *were* a lot of civilizations, but all or almost all of them have died out. I wanna be an archeologist.

I've had some luck with pocket islands with very long histories (2-3000 years), but still can't get down below about 30% of sites abandoned. Any tips on how I can get to the age of emptyness, or get mass die-off in larger worlds?

Killer beasts in the raws... viral plagues (maybe now with syndromes) lol, its been done before, someone did a whole succession fort were they had no immigration and 7 dwarves with just their babies. They had mutated bunnies for livestock. Everything else in the world was Nevil-esque.
I voted for BANANA!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

Seed in previous post.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)
Bah, didn't get the x's:

EPIC canyon.  When the embark screen says major river, it's not shitting around.  It's a monster river that's nearly the width of an entire embark square (47 tiles wide) at the bottom of a 30 z-level deep canyon with sheer cliffs straight down.  Up at the very top, there's also a stream that empties into the river, so when the water thaws, there's going to be one hell of a waterfall here.  As you can see from the IsoWorld screenshot, this river has created a huge canyon across the land.

Course the stupid dorfs embark right smack dab in the middle of the damn thing.

I found this spot last night and I embarked one tile to the right.  That cut off almost the entire part of the map to the left of the river except for a single strip of cliff 1 tile wide.  That was a better setup since the dorfs embarked at the top of the cliff instead of the middle of the bloody river.

No iron here either.  The embark has tetrahedrite, sphalerite, and galena (bah).  There is plenty of sand though, and kaolinite rather than clay.  There are some kimberlite veins but unfortunately, no diamonds.  Top level of the map is 140, river is at 110, bottom is 71.  Two aquifers, a small one over on the left side, and a larger one underneath the river at the south end of the map.  There are no magma pools extending into the caverns, you'll have to dig all the way down to the sea.  However, the bottom of the map is only 40 levels under the river, so it's not too far.

I used your embark to make my fortress, eventually lost it to clowns but had fun with it. Was an awesome site!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11137-canyoncrossedthebridgeofimpunity

Glad you enjoyed it.  Good name for the fort.

My computer probably wouldn't have been able to handle it what with all the flow from the waterfall and river itself, plus the freezing and thawing.  But this is somewhat along the lines of what I would have done with it, have bridges and such spanning the canyon, making full use of both side of the river.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:35:32 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 11:59:01 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6090

For 34.07, vamps and werebeasts are set low.

Some Really cool wasteland embarks. The noted as "DOOM" is a nice flat first cavern, deep pit, hematite, cassitrite, flat treeless surface. The wildlife is even a bit nasty if you aren't careful, had a giant bat kill my surface embark once.

There are a ton of other great flux + shallow metal + deep metal embarks nearebye that general area as well a little more to the east and north is rocky wasteland without trees (instead of badlands).

There's tons of other embarks too, ice, forest, lots of grassland, mountains, and probably a volcano (but I didn't look for any volcano's, so not sure).

Its, civ lite, but has towers, and one of every civ at least, it will take awhile for your outpost liaison to reach you if you like some peace and quiet in your embarks )

Here's the world gen if you want to gen some similar ones or tweak it yourself.

I voted for BANANA!

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:48 am »

Ladies and Genteldwarves, It is my honor to present to you a (rather large, 11x12) small isolated island! (0.34.07)

Before I post the link to the world gen settings, there are a few minor issues with this one:
1.) Due to the size of the landmass, if you try to use dfhack to reveal it, it crashes. This CAN be fixed with the Large Adress Aware patch (I'm now using it)
2.) Its a big landmass so you'll lag. its spikey though, not constant, and seems timed with the forming of ocean waves.
3.) It's isolated so though elves goblins and humans are alive you'll never see them. It was discussed in another thread in 2011 that it might be possible for them to arrive via caverns, though not sure if it was ever tested. You could use JustEmbark to make crumbling ocean forts from the main continent out to the adjacent region to test this.
4.) No undead unicorns. It's got savage oceans, but no evil/good biomes.

Download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6092

Includes:
-Dwarf Fortress.exe modified for Large Address Awareness
-Just Embark.exe for those who want it
-World Gen Parameters
-location pic

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to gen a 5x5 or smaller volcano island. Stay tuned!

Credit and Thanks to:
Grax-Original world gen files
Vattic-Updated world params for DF2012 here
Captain Mayday & Anticheese-Posting the link(to the link) to the LAA tool
FordGT90Concept-Made the LAA tool here
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:07:42 am by kenpoaj »
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:57 am »

7x7 Island volcano
Warm, Calm Heavily Forested land with calm oceans on the east, south, and west. North ocean is Untamed Wilds.

Has Sand and Fire Clay.
Has a few small Aquifers that will be easy to use/avoid.

Metals Include: (in order of estimated most to least)

Download Parameters Here
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2012, 07:43:27 am »

Embark request:

I'm looking for a 3x3 embark, with the following three criterias:
 - Flat Volcano
 - River/Ocean
 - Untamed Wilds

Caves, !!FUN!! and other features welcome!

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

I've been playing around in .06 trying to increase how many necromancer towers I get, but I never seem to get more than 2 or 3.

Have you guys got any advice on increasing the number of necromancer towers?

Thanks in advance.  8)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

Been trying to gen a world with a flat volcano on a glacier.
But to no avail.. so I am hoping to see if anyone been luckier than I.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:41 am »

Been trying to gen a world with a flat volcano on a glacier.
But to no avail.. so I am hoping to see if anyone been luckier than I.

Here you go:

I found two 4x2 (at least) embark sites with zero elevations including a volcano at embark level, in the southeast region.  Specifically, the prospect report above includes the volcano named "The Fires of Omen" on "The Slick Frost" glacier, southeast of the Dwarven hall of "Horn of Crests"

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:11 am »

Embark request:

I'm looking for a 3x3 embark, with the following three criterias:
 - Flat Volcano
 - River/Ocean
 - Untamed Wilds

Caves, !!FUN!! and other features welcome!

This is close, in that it's a brook, not a river, but the volcano does not extrude above ground level, and it is in untamed wilds.
You may find other embarks on the map that are better/similar.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »

-snip-

Thanks, altough.. I am not used to playing in such small worlds.. So few civs..

ah well, I may as well try it out.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »

I've tried a lot to get my ideal generation: A good volcano (of any degree, although i'd prefer Mirthful or Joyous Wilds), with some fresh water source (preferably a large river or even a lake), with either clay/sand, flux, and shallow+deep metals. I've always been short one factor; i'm not sure if anyone else would have a better chance at getting me this kind of generation. I have about 7x7 or 49 tiles to work with for decent FPS constraints.

If anyone can help me out, that'd be great, but I can understand that this is a bit of a demanding generation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62