Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286311 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2012, 03:15:00 pm »

I have a challenge for y'all:

A volcano with flux, with a lake biome, a sandy desert biome, and some moderately tree-bearing biome. Good aligned, although I could easily fix this myself. I'd prefer it to be a moderately sized world, so I can interact with some civilizations, but I can understand larger worlds take longer to generate, and are harder to isolate the right embark.

I myself have become very close to attaining this with PerfectWorldDF, but i'm always missing one variable.

Voila!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »

The site under discussion has one flaw.  That big river begins to go stagnant by the second spring.

Unfortunately, a temporary "universal" problem, depending on how you use your embarks and/or how they are laid out naturally.

From the wiki:
There is currently a bug that if stagnant water and a river or a brook share a wall, the river or the brook will become stagnant.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »

What do you suppose the chances of finding a world with this is? I use Legends of Forlorn Realms, so i'm trying to run my own gen of it so I get the civs it adds.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2012, 06:19:48 pm »

What do you suppose the chances of finding a world with this is? I use Legends of Forlorn Realms, so i'm trying to run my own gen of it so I get the civs it adds.
Dunno, with mods, all bets are off in terms of being able to reproduce it.  It could work perfectly, it might never work.  I used vanilla 34.07 to ensure it would work with the defaults.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »

Civs can affect worldgen that deeply? That's interesting.

Also, I might be blind, but I don't see a volcano on that embark screen.

And finally, what would you recommend for search settings for finding these? I'm using Flux=yes, River=Yes.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but you definitely seem to be the best person to ask.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:54 pm »

The site under discussion has one flaw.  That big river begins to go stagnant by the second spring.

Unfortunately, a temporary "universal" problem, depending on how you use your embarks and/or how they are laid out naturally.

From the wiki:
There is currently a bug that if stagnant water and a river or a brook share a wall, the river or the brook will become stagnant.

Yes, I'm aware of the bug.  My point is that the embark site I was discussing with Major SNAFU apparently has a layout that causes the problem to occur.  It's important to know that ahead of time, before spending the time and effort to start a fortress there using the river for a water source.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »

... So I confess that what I play DF for (mostly) is the SimCity aspect.  I turn invaders off, etc.

I am just reaching the point where I think I might be interested in turning invaders on after a 4-5 years and seeing what happens.  I have yet to do anything that looks remotely competent with the military screens, organization and I have no plans to fiddle with burrows.

I mostly want all of the goodies to build and experiment as I feel like it.  At some point I will probably grow past this and want to try one of these mind-boggling hard embarks that I read about - but for now that is simply too much *fun* for me.

So yes,  all of those in a 4x4 or 5x5.  I don't care if it is terrifying, happy, etc, etc.  I would prefer lots of trees, but I can work my way around that in other ways.

Ok, this should do the trick...

Many thanks

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:59 pm »

Civs can affect worldgen that deeply? That's interesting.

Also, I might be blind, but I don't see a volcano on that embark screen.

And finally, what would you recommend for search settings for finding these? I'm using Flux=yes, River=Yes.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but you definitely seem to be the best person to ask.
flux yes, shallow metal multiple, deep metal multiple, clay yes, soil <= little, aquifer (up to you).  with 800 rivers in the worldgen, you're pretty much going to get a river, brook, or stream in every region.

With 100% volcanism, there's generally LAVA_STONE in every embark, you just have to go down deep enough to find it.  But you're right, in that case, it doesn't show it, because it's not above the embark level.  Volcano's only show on the map that are at or above the embark level, as far as I've seen.

There's ways to get what you want, but you may not like them.  You can make it so humans and elves will embark and support desert biomes.  it's a single line change in entity_defaults.txt.  But it's a deviation from the norm, so up to you if you want to go down that path.  Or, like I mentioned you can create a world with the full range of rain and drainage to get deserts , hills, and forests, but you wanted deserts to embark, so that's why it's all 99% deserts in the worldgen I made.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

I'd like to make a final request: I'd like to see a world_gen that can get me a lake with volcano, with flux, and multiple shallow and deep metals, in a good-aligned biome. I'm not specifying any biome, as i'm hoping it'll be able to give me a variable there.

I wish I had the knowledge to specifically make what I want, but alas, it isn't that simple, and i'm still learning.

Much thanks as always.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »

I'd like to make a final request: I'd like to see a world_gen that can get me a lake with volcano, with flux, and multiple shallow and deep metals, in a good-aligned biome. I'm not specifying any biome, as i'm hoping it'll be able to give me a variable there.

I wish I had the knowledge to specifically make what I want, but alas, it isn't that simple, and i'm still learning.

Much thanks as always.

Try this one..

What this makes is worlds with volcanos, lakes, rivers, dwarves, elves, humans, goblins, with far more good regions than non-good regions.  It generates rejections, but not many.

I haven't looked for an embark, but that's the worldgen I would start with.  To reduce the time it will take to find what you want, you could try manually changing (as in with a text editor outside the game)
   [VOLCANO_MIN:200]
to something like
   [VOLCANO_MIN:400] or    [VOLCANO_MIN:600]
to get more possible embarks with what you're looking for.

However, this will vastly increase the amount of igneous extrusion going on, and generally screw with elevation throughout the world in possibly unappealing ways.  But it will save time.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:19 am »

Yeah, I know the manual changing trick. Much thanks, as before.

I've become good (enough) with tweaking things, but I still don't know enough to make up my own worldgen from scratch.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:56 am »

This... Might... Hurt...

Think this one might be a challenge:p

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6265

10,000 year history, 50-100 savage world... Basically a zombie apocalypse. 12 towers, and from a good chunk of this pocket world, they're all close enough to show up.

Lots of copper, a little tin, haven't noted any iron yet... I tried an xml dump for legends... 2 gb. The actual save is 89 meg. Pretty sure elves are dead... Save is above, in case you don't feel like spending a few hours letting it gen yourself;) Thought it was interesting enough to warrant sharing :-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2012, 05:02:06 pm »

... So I confess that what I play DF for (mostly) is the SimCity aspect.  I turn invaders off, etc.

I am just reaching the point where I think I might be interested in turning invaders on after a 4-5 years and seeing what happens.  I have yet to do anything that looks remotely competent with the military screens, organization and I have no plans to fiddle with burrows.

I mostly want all of the goodies to build and experiment as I feel like it.  At some point I will probably grow past this and want to try one of these mind-boggling hard embarks that I read about - but for now that is simply too much *fun* for me.

So yes,  all of those in a 4x4 or 5x5.  I don't care if it is terrifying, happy, etc, etc.  I would prefer lots of trees, but I can work my way around that in other ways.

Ok, this should do the trick...

Thanks!

napancux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2012, 04:54:03 pm »

:-[
So I decided to try the new version (haven't played DF for a while) and want to build a bridge fortress.
Can anyone help me with a site with large, broad, awesome and dangerous major river?
I tried to do it myself, but I either get a world without any major rivers, or with them located in cold regions being frozen whole year and stuff.
No need for any other features.

Thank you!

P.S. I tried the settings from the first page with deep canyon river, but got different world.
There's no choice. Only will.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »

:-[
So I decided to try the new version (haven't played DF for a while) and want to build a bridge fortress.
Can anyone help me with a site with large, broad, awesome and dangerous major river?
I tried to do it myself, but I either get a world without any major rivers, or with them located in cold regions being frozen whole year and stuff.
No need for any other features.

Thank you!

P.S. I tried the settings from the first page with deep canyon river, but got different world.

I'm on my phone right now, but if you look at my post a couple up, there's a link to DFFD. One of my saves uploaded is a major river Canyon with 20z waterfalls (plural), pretty nice site. 0.34.03, but it's save compatible, didn't have any issues with it in 0.34.06. 07 should be fine, as well.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 62