Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287300 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »

:-[
So I decided to try the new version (haven't played DF for a while) and want to build a bridge fortress.
Can anyone help me with a site with large, broad, awesome and dangerous major river?
I tried to do it myself, but I either get a world without any major rivers, or with them located in cold regions being frozen whole year and stuff.
No need for any other features.

Thank you!

P.S. I tried the settings from the first page with deep canyon river, but got different world.

This should work...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The world map:

and a random sample 4x4 embark on that big river..

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2012, 06:22:44 pm »

Dear lord, that's huge... FPS death on embark, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »

That river is enormous!

If anyone is up to the task I have a request. I'd like a hot, humid jungle world. Maximum savagery, preferably with good and evil areas on the same site. More than  one evil biome would be awesome as I want many types of face melting rain and mist. Also a volcano... and a river. Minerals are irrelevant. Any takers?  8)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:49:08 pm by feralferret »

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2012, 06:55:32 pm »

I'm looking to get back into the game. Would someone mind helping me find a cliff face or mountain next to a merfolk-inhabited ocean with the usual good stuff (magma, flux, metal, sand)? My eventual plan for the cliffs is to fill it with obsidian to build a castle that still counts as underground. Oh, and to set up a Merperson zoo, with flooded, furnished rooms.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:41 pm »

That river is enormous!

If anyone is up to the task I have a request. I'd like a hot, humid jungle world. Maximum savagery, preferably with good and evil areas on the same site. More than  one evil biome would be awesome as I want many types of face melting rain and mist. ;) Also a volcano... and a river. Minerals are irrelevant. Ant takers?  8)

I didn't think it was possible... but it apparently is..

(still working on getting everything!)

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »

Similar to feralferret's request, I'd like a temperate forest bordering a swamp, both maximum savagery, swamp evil, and forest good, with a river (Stream or brook), flux, iron, and if possible volcano. Not at all necessary, but if it bordered a tropical set of the same biomes or just a tropical biome, it would be amazing. 

That river is enormous!

If anyone is up to the task I have a request. I'd like a hot, humid jungle world. Maximum savagery, preferably with good and evil areas on the same site. More than  one evil biome would be awesome as I want many types of face melting rain and mist. ;) Also a volcano... and a river. Minerals are irrelevant. Ant takers?  8)

I didn't think it was possible... but it apparently is..

(still working on getting everything!)
I played around with those for a while, but I could never get the minerals I wanted with both, or the layouts I liked, so I eventually gave up on both and just went all good to get my *Unicorn Tallow Roasts*.  ;D

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »

:-[
So I decided to try the new version (haven't played DF for a while) and want to build a bridge fortress.
Can anyone help me with a site with large, broad, awesome and dangerous major river?
I tried to do it myself, but I either get a world without any major rivers, or with them located in cold regions being frozen whole year and stuff.
No need for any other features.

Thank you!

P.S. I tried the settings from the first page with deep canyon river, but got different world.

Sounds like you tried the second embark I put up.  And yes, it was broad (47 tiles), awesome (30 z-level cliffs) and dangerous (waterfall at the top).  The worldgen parameters I used lowered the minimum ocean edges (to get more of a large continent rather than islands, this tends to make rivers bigger, since they're longer IME), upped the erosion cycle count (makes rivers bigger), and turned off periodic erosion of extreme cliffs (so there's more sheer drops).  You might want to tweak drainage too.

Anyway, the seeds should still work with 34.07 (I just tested it), but some of the good/evil biomes are in different places.  The evil mountains just to the north are now neutral, for example.  However, the local area map still has the exact same names.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:46:09 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »

That looks really promising, vjek! It really is kind of the perfect storm of embark conditions and it's very rare to come across everything all at once on the same site. I've tried what seems like  hundreds of embarks but I never get it quite right. Then again... I'm less than amazing at using advanced worldgen params so that may have something to do with it.

I recently managed to create a totally (minus the cold pole) warm and wet world without constant rejections so I'm pretty stoked. I still dream of a time when I can settle in a jungle infested with ravening undead unicorns, lit by the glow of an angry volcano. I'm not sure exactly what that says about me or my mental state but.. meh. Tiki dwarves FTW! :D

Sounds like you tried the second embark I put up.  And yes, it was broad (47 tiles), awesome (30 z-level cliffs) and dangerous (waterfall at the top).  The worldgen parameters I used lowered the minimum ocean edges (to get more of a large continent rather than islands, this tends to make rivers bigger, since they're longer IME), upped the erosion cycle count (makes rivers bigger), and turned off periodic erosion of extreme cliffs (so there's more sheer drops).  You might want to tweak drainage too.

I will use this technique and see if I can't come up with some better cliffs in my game. Thanks, learning lots from this thread! In my own attempts I always end up with dull, too-flat landscapes unless I embark in the middle of the mountains.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2012, 10:30:19 pm »

I might use this map for a megaproject.

Spoiler: World Gen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Some nice variation here.  Mostly flat map with a large volcanic spike in the south central part for easy magma, a stream up in the northwest for water, and a splotch of ugly evil terrian in the northeast for !!FUN!!  A small selection of metals, should be enough for a typical fort's needs, though you will need to import flux for steel.

Prospector report:
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2012, 11:44:51 pm »

That river is enormous!

If anyone is up to the task I have a request. I'd like a hot, humid jungle world. Maximum savagery, preferably with good and evil areas on the same site. More than  one evil biome would be awesome as I want many types of face melting rain and mist. Also a volcano... and a river. Minerals are irrelevant. Any takers?  8)

Well, I found it, three evil biomes + joyous wilds all with forests and warm/hot in a 4x4 embark.  It has a stream, and a volcano, but the volcano is at level 99, and embark is at 146.  Good enough? Or do you want something more specific?  I'll check back in the morning!

napancux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:21 am »

I'm on my phone right now, but if you look at my post a couple up, there's a link to DFFD. One of my saves uploaded is a major river Canyon with 20z waterfalls (plural), pretty nice site. 0.34.03, but it's save compatible, didn't have any issues with it in 0.34.06. 07 should be fine, as well.
Well I'd use it if I had no choice, but I prefer to gen world myself and embark with my dwarfs. Thanks anyway!

This should work...
Yup, that did it! Thank you! Found a nice spot with metals and interesting scenery)

Anyway, the seeds should still work with 34.07 (I just tested it), but some of the good/evil biomes are in different places.  The evil mountains just to the north are now neutral, for example.  However, the local area map still has the exact same names.
Yes, it was yours) I dunno, but for some reason that worldgen resultet in a world with only brooks and one minor river.
I'll save your advice for genning worlds with large rivers for future use, though  ;) Thank you!
There's no choice. Only will.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »

Well, I found it, three evil biomes + joyous wilds all with forests and warm/hot in a 4x4 embark.  It has a stream, and a volcano, but the volcano is at level 99, and embark is at 146.  Good enough? Or do you want something more specific?  I'll check back in the morning!

Sounds great to me, thanks!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

... Sounds great to me, thanks!

Alrighty then!  This one below is a bit different than the original one I found, I was tweaking things to get larger regions adjacent rather than small regions adjacent. 

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

Anyone able to give some advice on mine, on how to get high ground next to the ocean (preferably with a river)?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »

Anyone able to give some advice on mine, on how to get high ground next to the ocean (preferably with a river)?

Check out this save/embark/region.

It is by the ocean.  It has a river/waterfall, and at least 20z of cliff due to the waterfall.  Is this the type of thing you're looking for?  The worldgen parameters are in the save dir.  The minerals are lacking on this particular embark, I'm just trying to figure out if this is in the ballpark, elevation-wise.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62