Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286319 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »

What variables should I change to get lots of major rivers with deep canyons and many small freshwater lakes?

Try something like this to start..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That basically raises the minimum elevation, increases rainfall, increases drainage, increase erosion, lowers temperature to reduce evaporation.  Seems to produce one major river minimum per map, with dozens of lakes.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »

Yeah, that's the approach I'd use for making major rivers, in fact I have similar parameters for my standard custom world gen to get lots of canyons and some decent rivers.  Like I said above, getting rid of the ocean edges gives bigger continents and less islands, so the rivers have more room to flow.  That then gives them more tributaries, and they end up being wider.

Also, make the map as big as you want, a 257x257 map seems to gen a lot of big rivers (likely again because there's just more room for them).  I go for 129x129, and even with that, there's often at least two major rivers on the map somewhere.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:55 pm »

Excellent, Thank You!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »

Morul requests a special location of the cartographers.

Site must have:

Sand
Clay
Flux
Flowing water
Magma at or near surface
All civs, and several dark towers in world

Site should be relatively flat with at least some trees in a 4x4 or 5x5 embark. No evil, but good is okay. One quite open cavern layer. There needs to be at least 20 solid layers below the lowest surface and the top of the cavern. No special metal needs otherwise. He's never seen a map without bees, but it has to have bees. A geologic survey is requested.

Morul realizes this is a difficult request but has faith in dwarven cartography.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54:02 pm »

When you say "dark towers" do you mean goblin dark fortresses or necromancer towers?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2012, 12:52:42 am »

Necromancer.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2012, 04:30:03 pm »

I'd like to pitch a request for an ocean embark, with my typical request of deep and shallow metals, flux, and volcano. I'd like it to not be on an island, or be scorching or freezing

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »

I am curious if anyone is able to find worldgen parameters to generate a world with at least one embark with the following properties:

-- Magma pipe (or near enough to surface magma [~50z] without inhibiting cavern exploration)
-- Huge amounts of clay/soil/sand/etc under the 'surface' z level. This is to allow creation of underground tree farms and easy pasturing.
-- Magnetite/hematite/limonite. Flux is not as important as it can be traded for pretty easily.
-- River/stream/brook or a small overlap with an aquifer-containing biome.

Salt/fresh isn't a huge deal as that can be easily managed with pumps. I mainly just want to be able to seal myself off from the outside except for a trade depot airlock and be able to have reasonably active wood/metal/animal industries.

Bonus points if it can also contain good biomes for sun berries.

Edit: I should also mention that I like savagery quite a bit and you will make me happy if there are many beasts in this world.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:34:07 pm by fakechuck »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2012, 02:50:30 pm »

I am curious if anyone is able to find worldgen parameters to generate a world with at least one embark with the following properties:

-- Magma pipe (or near enough to surface magma [~50z] without inhibiting cavern exploration)
-- Huge amounts of clay/soil/sand/etc under the 'surface' z level. This is to allow creation of underground tree farms and easy pasturing.
-- Magnetite/hematite/limonite. Flux is not as important as it can be traded for pretty easily.
-- River/stream/brook or a small overlap with an aquifer-containing biome.

Salt/fresh isn't a huge deal as that can be easily managed with pumps. I mainly just want to be able to seal myself off from the outside except for a trade depot airlock and be able to have reasonably active wood/metal/animal industries.

Bonus points if it can also contain good biomes for sun berries.

Edit: I should also mention that I like savagery quite a bit and you will make me happy if there are many beasts in this world.

Well, this fits
But I think you could find better if you look around that world or a few other similar worlds. (specifically, something with flux)

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2012, 04:32:29 pm »

This is good but not quite the amount of clay I was hoping. Which options would you recommend tweaking to adjust that, or should I just remove the seed and gen some similar worlds?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2012, 05:30:17 pm »

I've been trying to get a 4x4 embark with a volcano and a river (not brook or stream) or lake with a sheer cliff next to it, and am having no luck. This is what I've got so far.

I'm thinking more volcanoes. What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:31:55 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »

This is good but not quite the amount of clay I was hoping. Which options would you recommend tweaking to adjust that, or should I just remove the seed and gen some similar worlds?

Heheh, there's 35k soil tiles. :)  But if it's plain "clay" you specifically need, rather than "silty clay" soil, you'll definitely need another embark.  Yep, I would just remove the seeds and go for it.  There will be few, if any, rejections, and many suitable sites per world, from what I saw.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »

I've been trying to get a 4x4 embark with a volcano and a river (not brook or stream) or lake with a sheer cliff next to it, and am having no luck. This is what I've got so far.

<snip>

I'm thinking more volcanoes. What do you think?
Some clarifying questions...

How many z-levels of cliff do you want?  And will a canyon work?  So the embark has a river at the bottom of a very steep canyon, the width of which is exactly as wide as the river?  Or are you looking for a cliff that is NOT adjacent to the sides of the river?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2012, 05:49:46 pm »

If anyone else wants the oceanside mountains as I did, here's a refined version of Vjek's offering. It's weighted more strongly towards the forests, mountains and good biomes I was looking for, but it still supports all civilisation types. The biggest difference is that vampires have been turned off, so you might want to change the [VAMPIRE_NUMBER] token to put them back in.

One word of warning: I haven't actually seen any large ocean creatures yet, including Merfolk.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2012, 05:51:42 pm »

cliffs next to fresh water is very much what I'm looking for. I don't need to many z levels, just 3 or so, though more is always nice. What I'm more concerned about is width, I'd like the river to be at least six tiles wide.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62