Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287310 times)

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »

When I was generating a world for my bridge-gatehouse-fortress look what I found.

Worldgen
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark - it's place marked as bridge over brook (Where a road crosses The Mess of Fear brook :D)

It's flat, warm, woodland, moderate vegetation, wilderness, brook, clay, some soil, shallow metals, deep metals, no aquifier. (sadly few murky pools)

Neighbours: Dwarves, goblins(---), elves, humans. No tower on whole island.

But now the interesting part. On 3x3 embark (141 z-levels) it has 9129 adamantine from 10 to 87 level. And it is safe to mine from level 68. Visible from one of the caverns.
As usual it has tons of silver but it also has 37000 units of native gold (for golden fort?)

On the other hand map goes like 2 levels of clay/soil then 2 levels of stone and then first cavern. Only good for aboveground fortress.
Also there is "only" cca 2000 of iron ores located only on 3 levels. (Maybe that is not that bad if you count in 100000 of marble)
Magma located only on levels 19-23.

And note that I stopped generating that world after 545 years if it has any effect.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »

So I have what may be an interesting problem, or may be impossible, or may just be me being needy. You be the judge.

I'd like to have a fort where I can catch Giant Lions, Giant Tigers and Gigantic Pandas (oh my). That means some sort of Tropical Savanna/Grassland/Shrubland, some sort of Tropical Forest/Shrubland/Swamp and a Temperatre Forest. All high savagery for greatest fun.

(Ideally it'd also have flux, iron, a flat volcano, sand, a brook and a pony, but I'd settle for "metals that don't suck" and leave my perfectionism at the door.)

I haven't had a lot of luck with this, partly because I'm not sure how to search a map for this. So, world gen questions:
  • I want some fairly varied regions next to each other, how much variance should I pump into rain and drainage? Would the mesh be better?
  • When generating for this kind of thing, do you go for many small worlds or one big world? Does that change when you're aiming for a volcano embark?
  • While temperate and tropical biomes coexist? What sort of temperature gradient should I be looking at to make that work?
  • How much mineral scarcity should I aim at before flux stops genning properly?

Any help you can give me here is hugely appreciated. I love looking at the stuff that shows up in this thread. :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:02 pm »

So I have what may be an interesting problem, or may be impossible, or may just be me being needy. You be the judge.

I'd like to have a fort where I can catch Giant Lions, Giant Tigers and Gigantic Pandas (oh my). That means some sort of Tropical Savanna/Grassland/Shrubland, some sort of Tropical Forest/Shrubland/Swamp and a Temperatre Forest. All high savagery for greatest fun.

(Ideally it'd also have flux, iron, a flat volcano, sand, a brook and a pony, but I'd settle for "metals that don't suck" and leave my perfectionism at the door.)

I haven't had a lot of luck with this, partly because I'm not sure how to search a map for this. So, world gen questions:
  • I want some fairly varied regions next to each other, how much variance should I pump into rain and drainage? Would the mesh be better?
  • When generating for this kind of thing, do you go for many small worlds or one big world? Does that change when you're aiming for a volcano embark?
  • While temperate and tropical biomes coexist? What sort of temperature gradient should I be looking at to make that work?
  • How much mineral scarcity should I aim at before flux stops genning properly?

Any help you can give me here is hugely appreciated. I love looking at the stuff that shows up in this thread. :D

Nothing too bad there except (as always) the volcano.

Try this worldgen a few times, and modify the volcanos value to see if you can get what you want.
First gen of this world I found a 4x4 site with sand, 155k marble, and 21k limonite, along with 48k tetrahedrite in Untamed Wilds.  It also had 62 gigantic pandas, 21 giant tigers, and 6 giant lions, world-wide.  So, I think a step down the right path.

In answer to your four questions..
1) 3200 if you want the max
2) I go for a 65x65 region.  Volcanos mess with underground layers and aboveground elevations, so they impact smaller worlds more that larger ones.
3) yes.  I went with 50 to 78, but you can certainly reduce the minimum if you're not getting enough temperate.
4) 1000 seems to be fine, for me, but I've also found flux in 10/10 worlds generated with 500 mineral scarcity, in the form of marble.  If you want to use something other than marble, I'd stay above 1000.  But this is an area where the results are far more random than predictable, for many players.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2012, 09:27:06 am »

When generating for this kind of thing, do you go for many small worlds or one big world? Does that change when you're aiming for a volcano embark?

I just poke around whatever world I have genned and look for interesting sites.  For volcanoes, I have the minimum cranked up to 50 on a 129x129 map, that usually gives me some variety of sites, though they tend to form chains and it's annoying as hell when the chains are high up in the mountains or out at sea.

My other changes are a reduction in ocean edges to form a large continent rather than several islands, no erosion for more kickass canyons, tweaks to the caverns to make them more open, slightly increased savagery, and mineral scarcity at 500.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2012, 10:01:25 am »

Would anyone be interested in a medium island world with all default settings that goes to the age of legends then heroes every time it's generated?
I like sushi.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »

Thanks for the help. :D Some of that's new, some of it it's just good to see I'm not insane for think about.

Regarding variance, and something I forgot to include in that earlier post:
When I last tried to set this embark up, I ran into a couple of biome issues. Rather than the (pretty trivial) "too many subregions" issue, DF was consistently failing to place enough of every single biome. Consequently, a given set of parameters would run around a thousand failed worlds before suggesting something was wrong, since it wasn't failing any given check regularly. So what's the deal there? I remember there was some other error that cropped up even if I completely nuked the minimum region and square numbers. Obviously I'll do science to it, but if anyone else has confronted this in the past I'd love to hear what you did to fix it. :)

One last quick question: are there any tricks to generating magnetite over the other (apparently more common) ores of iron? There's just something about enormous piles of ore that's so tempting...

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2012, 05:15:34 am »

Any words on how to get loads and loads of wars in the world gen? I'm willing to mod the entities, if that's what it takes. Sadly making all the civs live in cities in the plains didn't seem to work =/
Oh, well.

Civilized World Population

24 Dwarves
   6203 Humans
   4963 Elves
   25 Goblins
   521 Kobolds
   11022 Orcs

Total: 22758
Finis sanctificat media.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:31 pm »

Does anyone have a world that has lots of spots where a river either becomes an underground river at the base of a mountain or has it's source there, with vertical cliffs on all sides? For example like this:

Code: [Select]
With trees around the river, and with a high chance of iron?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:20:54 pm by guitarxe »
Feeling down? Click Here!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »

where a river either becomes an underground river at the base of a mountain

Is it real at all?
Finis sanctificat media.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2012, 01:13:09 pm »

where a river either becomes an underground river at the base of a mountain

Is it real at all?

I don't understand your question, but I'm talking about something like this:

Feeling down? Click Here!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:54 pm »

I don't understand your question, but I'm talking about something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/guitar_xe/dfriver.jpg

Fck, i thought there's a new worldgen features.
But alas. It's just river that cleaves a mountain.
Finis sanctificat media.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2012, 05:44:19 am »

I have a request if anyone have created a world with a long bridge (created in wordlgen from a road). A bridge across a grand canyon (bonus if there is a river few levels below). The longer bridge the better. And if possible with paved road.
All I get so far is bridge over 4 tile wide river.

dracobs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »

Would be interested in flat embark, with a volcano that rises above the flatness. Ideally the volcano should be slim, just the lava tube would be best and it should rise 3-10Zs.

Is it even possible, or would it require too much searching.

Dreaming of making a fort around magma tube which would be breached so the fort would be surrounded by a lava moat ( sea ).
Thanks!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2012, 08:33:31 am »

I have a request if anyone have created a world with a long bridge (created in wordlgen from a road). A bridge across a grand canyon (bonus if there is a river few levels below). The longer bridge the better. And if possible with paved road.
All I get so far is bridge over 4 tile wide river.

That might be tricky.  Civs don't seem to build roads with bridges across very wide rivers, but rather they try to parallel them.  And a big important river with a road network seems to often have a ton of human settlements around it.  I haven't seen too many canyons that didn't have rivers, but even then you'd need a canyon where a civ feels the need to build a bridge to connect settlements.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Vivio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2012, 09:30:52 am »

Hi, I'd like to request a world in which a dwarf civilization is not present (is this even possible?). Basically, I don't want any migrants or traders, and that my starting 7 (and the two waves after) are the last dwarves left alive.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62