Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286310 times)

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »

@Ai Shizuka, interesting, I just tried to find a spot like you were saying and I noticed some oddities. Every ocean embark I tried there was a massive gap between the surface and the first cavern level despite me setting the minimum to 1. The magma sea started around level 0 so 100 Z levels below the embark. Then I tried the same map but up in a mountain (all the cavern level gaps set to 1) and the magma sea was only 40 z levels below embark at level 109!

This is quite odd, maybe you've discovered a phenomenon here, even on the same map the level of the magma sea can be higher or lower but around the ocean it seems to be at level 0.

Did you want magma and an ocean? I did find a volcano by the sea but it was an island. 

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2012, 02:21:23 am »

Anyone interested in this fine world:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the seed.

I almost aborted when I started this up, because the world name came up as "The World of Dawns".  So inappropriate for what I was going for here.  But then I decided to keep it for the twisted irony, and let's face it, it IS a world of dawns.  They just happen to be Romero-style dawns.... 

I reduced all good square counts to 0 (after my first attempt gave me a big ass good swamp in the middle of the map), bumped evil square counts WAY up, and for good evil measure increased evil rains and clouds to 500 and nearly doubled the amount of night trolls and bogeymen types.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2012, 03:57:06 am »

For my next project I'm trying to create a valleyish world with
 1) crapton of mountains which are
 2) pierced by valleys that
 3) have rives and
 4) volcanoes.

I was wondering how should I edit the world-gen in order to archieve such a world?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:03 am »

THIS is the most badass site I have ever genned:

Good, neutral, AND evil, ALL savage, all on the same 4x4 embark.  And if pitting fluffy wamblers against giant desert scorpions against whatever horrors that forest of doom will vomit up is not enough, well, just check out the prospector report:

That's right: 11k coal, 3 types of flux, magnetite and limonite.  Surface steel.  Oh, and toss on 3 types of sand, fire clay, and gypsum.  Lots of copper and gold, with a nice amount of silver from that tetra and galena.  If that wasn't awesome enough, there's a nice big candy cane poking up into cavern 3 that goes down pretty deep before it gets hollow.  Big aquifer under the evil and neutral parts, but there should be enough space to dig down to the northwest.  Only real flaw is there's no diamonds in that kimberlite.

Now, I found this in a world I genned up with 34.10 (actually the original was 34.05 but I like this seed).  I genned it again in 34.11 to make sure it genned the same.  It did (the ASCII embark was taken from 34.11).

And just to make things more !!FUN!!, the game spawned some undead ravens right as I embarked.

Oh yeah.  You guys want the seed.   :P

Have fun with Armok's playground.

Strange. I tried this and got the exact same world, but with good/evil regions in different places.
Is it because I use a mac?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:01 am »

3) have rives and
 4) volcanoes.

I was wondering how should I edit the world-gen in order to archieve such a world?

I'd turn off the rejection parameters, that's the region counts and ranges (looks like ELEVATION_RANGES etc), then turn up minimum volcanoes to 200, then put the elevation mesh on to it's highest setting (16x16 for a medium map for example), set the 0-20 range and the 80-100 range to 1 and set the rest to 0. Finally set the river counts to 400. See how that looks, if it's too up and downy try smoothing out the mesh ranges a bit like 3.2.0.2.3 maybe. Also you might want to turn off the oceans and possibly set the minimum elevation to 90 or 100 so the bottoms of the valleys are dry land not fjords.

Here is a similar recipe I did you might want to use as a starting point, look out though because it has a lot of good/bad biomes and titans.

Good luck, let me know how you get on. 

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:48 am »

3) have rives and
 4) volcanoes.

I'd turn off the rejection parameters, that's the region counts and ranges (looks like ELEVATION_RANGES etc), then turn up minimum volcanoes to 200, then put the elevation mesh on to it's highest setting (16x16 for a medium map for example), set the 0-20 range and the 80-100 range to 1 and set the rest to 0. Finally set the river counts to 400. See how that looks, if it's too up and downy try smoothing out the mesh ranges a bit like 3.2.0.2.3 maybe. Also you might want to turn off the oceans and possibly set the minimum elevation to 90 or 100 so the bottoms of the valleys are dry land not fjords.

Here is a similar recipe I did you might want to use as a starting point, look out though because it has a lot of good/bad biomes and titans.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Very much appreciated!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

Strange. I tried this and got the exact same world, but with good/evil regions in different places.
Is it because I use a mac?

Maybe.  I've read different OSes can read the seeds differently.  Still, if the world geography is the same, and the only significant difference is the good and evil placements, you might still have the same mix of minerals and ores, just not as much excitement.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:44 am »

It seems that I have a problem with the titans and megabeasts surviving the worldgen, currently I only get to the Age of Heroes. Any idea of making the more survivable? Increase the amount of caves and the number of titans?

I also seem to have the problem that, when creating the valleys, the worldgen traps some of the civs inside ' small valleys' which are surround by mountains. Any way of remedying this without losing the valleyishness of the world?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:13:38 am by HraTaika »

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:45 am »

It seems that I have a problem with the titans and megabeasts surviving the worldgen, currently I only get to the Age of Heroes. Any idea of making the more survivable? Increase the amount of caves and the number of titans?

That information is outdated, recently updated the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Advanced_world_generation#Set_Megabeasts , you can just pump up titans and megabeast to make the world longer. Don't worry too much about them, I've had it set both to 360 and only see one every couple of years. 

I also seem to have the problem that, when creating the valleys, the worldgen traps some of the civs inside ' small valleys' which are surround by mountains. Any way of remedying this without losing the valleyishness of the world?

Hmm, try turning the mesh size down a notch or try a different spread of elevations to give more medium ones, 2.4.3.3.3 maybe? OR what I do sometimes is interrupt world generation really early on, check that I like the general lay of the land i.e. no closed of valleys, and if I don't like it I abort and try again until I get a good one.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2012, 04:13:48 am »

That information is outdated, recently updated the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Advanced_world_generation#Set_Megabeasts , you can just pump up titans and megabeast to make the world longer. Don't worry too much about them, I've had it set both to 360 and only see one every couple of years.

Good to know. Will do the same then!

Hmm, try turning the mesh size down a notch or try a different spread of elevations to give more medium ones, 2.4.3.3.3 maybe? OR what I do sometimes is interrupt world generation really early on, check that I like the general lay of the land i.e. no closed of valleys, and if I don't like it I abort and try again until I get a good one.

Hmm.. changing the mesh size and elevation spread doesn't seem to work, they mainly remove around 40% of the more elevated areas. I seem to get the most coherent hits with your first suggestion (32x32, 3.2.0.2.3). The interuption idea is pretty good, will work with that.

Then again, I was kinda wondering if I could do something with the rains and erosion? Maybe get valleys 'walls' which are narrower?

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:56 am »

HraTaika, it sounds like you're getting the hang of the controls, without looking over your shoulder it's difficult to tell you exactly what to do but you seem to be figuring it out!

32x32, so you're using a large map? Yeah, I definitely wouldn't let one of those run for long before interrupting it and checking it out, I'd probably stop it after a few seconds just scroll around and see how it looks.

With the rivers, I assume you mean you don't want so many big wide rivers? As far as I know (and we're getting into 'here be dragons' territory), big rivers are from lots of little rivers running together. The is a parameter for erosion count which is how many times it runs through an erosion cycle. I don't know if this affects how deep chasms are or if it just erodes surfaces but I heard that if you leave it on too long you get a big smooth world which causes more big rivers to form. So you could try turning erosion down but it's a pain to test to see if that's actually helping.

I guess it may be a factor you get with valleys, big valleys mean there is one obvious place for the river to run to, all the rivers converge in the valley bottoms and try to find a way to a lake or sea. What you could try is turning up the elevation X and Y variance to something like 1200 each. This should make the high elevation areas more detailed and less monolithic which might stop the rivers from converging into a few obvious places. Otherwise maybe turn the number of rivers down (there are 2 settings, I keep them both the same), there should still be rivers but they hopefully wont add up so quickly into large rivers. Or I don't know if you took my advice about turning up the minimum elevation but you could turn it down a touch to 80 or so which will let some inland seas form and be an end point for some rivers?

They're just educated guesses but I hope I gave you some ideas.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2012, 10:05:53 am »

@Ai Shizuka, interesting, I just tried to find a spot like you were saying and I noticed some oddities. Every ocean embark I tried there was a massive gap between the surface and the first cavern level despite me setting the minimum to 1. The magma sea started around level 0 so 100 Z levels below the embark. Then I tried the same map but up in a mountain (all the cavern level gaps set to 1) and the magma sea was only 40 z levels below embark at level 109!

This is quite odd, maybe you've discovered a phenomenon here, even on the same map the level of the magma sea can be higher or lower but around the ocean it seems to be at level 0.

Did you want magma and an ocean? I did find a volcano by the sea but it was an island.

Yes, weird stuff happening on ocean sites. I also got got some weird caverns, sort of cut in a straight line at the border between biomes.
I finally got a site with magma around level 40, wich is good enough.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »

HraTaika, it sounds like you're getting the hang of the controls, without looking over your shoulder it's difficult to tell you exactly what to do but you seem to be figuring it out!

32x32, so you're using a large map? Yeah, I definitely wouldn't let one of those run for long before interrupting it and checking it out, I'd probably stop it after a few seconds just scroll around and see how it looks.

With the rivers, I assume you mean you don't want so many big wide rivers? As far as I know (and we're getting into 'here be dragons' territory), big rivers are from lots of little rivers running together. The is a parameter for erosion count which is how many times it runs through an erosion cycle. I don't know if this affects how deep chasms are or if it just erodes surfaces but I heard that if you leave it on too long you get a big smooth world which causes more big rivers to form. So you could try turning erosion down but it's a pain to test to see if that's actually helping.

I guess it may be a factor you get with valleys, big valleys mean there is one obvious place for the river to run to, all the rivers converge in the valley bottoms and try to find a way to a lake or sea. What you could try is turning up the elevation X and Y variance to something like 1200 each. This should make the high elevation areas more detailed and less monolithic which might stop the rivers from converging into a few obvious places. Otherwise maybe turn the number of rivers down (there are 2 settings, I keep them both the same), there should still be rivers but they hopefully wont add up so quickly into large rivers. Or I don't know if you took my advice about turning up the minimum elevation but you could turn it down a touch to 80 or so which will let some inland seas form and be an end point for some rivers?

They're just educated guesses but I hope I gave you some ideas.

All good ideas, thank you!

Turning the elevation X and Y variance up to 1200/1200 resulted into very nice formation, will keep that as a base from now on. Also playing with the erosion and the elevation mesh weights resulted into some very nice formations, though the results weren't as constant. The river to lake idea is interesting because I was planning on doing a (local map) island embark so figuring that out for this world would get two birds with one shot.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2012, 07:52:56 pm »

Ok, guys, I need a 3x3 embark, calm or wilderness, all but one side/corner embark tile (that's much lower than the rest) filled with a MASSIVE glacier. By massive I mean at least 20z thick, and by glacier I mean no pansy stone before at least 20z below the surface of the ice. This is a serious project I have in mind, and it involves nothing but ICE ICE ICE. And cavernous structures, that's why I need a 20z thick glacier. (hey guys can you make mugs out of ice 'rocks'? :D)

Is this even possible, by the way? 'Cause if someone's tried and failed miserably tell me now so I can rework my plans.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:31:48 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2012, 10:40:02 pm »

... Is this even possible, by the way? 'Cause if someone's tried and failed miserably tell me now so I can rework my plans.

It may not be possible.  As far as I've seen (and I could be wrong) ice replaces soil in glacier biomes.  So, 4 Z-levels on a flat embark is about as good as you're going to get, I think.  I've tried a wide variety of parameters, and couldn't do better.  I think that means you'll be limited to ~80k FROZEN_LIQUID on a 3x3 perfectly flat embark with 4 z-levels of ice.

I'm no glacier expert though, so I'm sure someone will correct me if they know better. :)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62