Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why do elves suck so much!!!!?????  (Read 8913 times)

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do elves suck so much!!!!?????
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:07 pm »

Actually, elves can become necromancers.  In a recent world I found this tower.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those purple elves are all necromancers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:12:29 pm by mithosaurion »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »

i think the purple elves are zombies and the human is the necromancer.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 01:02:15 pm »

Looks like it. That's why I don't like graphic packs :C

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:34 pm »

The worst part about elves is that they're small and, unlike dwarves, they don't get a corresponding strength bonus.  As an adventurer, expect to get charged and knocked to the ground by every opponent. 

I assume Toady will get around to balancing them some day, but until then, it's easy enough to mod the RAWS. I used to give them a minimum natural skill in dodge to make them tougher opponents.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »

The worst part about elves is that they're small and, unlike dwarves, they don't get a corresponding strength bonus.  As an adventurer, expect to get charged and knocked to the ground by every opponent. 

I assume Toady will get around to balancing them some day, but until then, it's easy enough to mod the RAWS. I used to give them a minimum natural skill in dodge to make them tougher opponents.

If you look in the RAWS where Toady used +s and -s to show which races are better in which attributes, dwarves beat elves in strength and toughness by one +, where as elves beat dwarves in agility by two +s.  Agility is basically the most important stat, because once you hit someone once they're at a disadvantage, and agility is tied both to who hits first, who is more likely to hit, and how often you can act.  Elves also just have better attributes in general (more +s, and every Elf has literally perfect memory), which is balanced out by dwarves' [TRANCES] tag, which lets them make artifacts and enter martial trances.

In theory, the elves are balanced with the other races.  They have reasonable stats in the RAWS and in legends.  The problem is that in actual gameplay their wooden weapons can't even penetrate clothe, and they have no tactics besides running up and smacking you with them.  In the art rewards and threetoe stories, the elves have used poison, their alliances with various animal peoples, magic, friendly spirits, stealth and forest based tactics like attacking from positions atop trees, but none of these things are possible in game yet.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

that means goblins have been demoted to kobold class enemies... the only difference being that they wear armor.
Greenskin Masterace here.
Kobolds don't have whips and scourges, Elven Whelp.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »

elves dont suck, elven weapons and armor suck.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »

Elves can become vamps though, just saw one in hamlet. He was bragging about how he was a hunter once and has killed 74 humans. How.. inconcpicious.

As for racial advantages, Elves' perfect memory is useful for cave crawling.

mnemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »

Just killed a dozen or so elven wererhinoes, so atleast the npc's can become werecreatures.

They also stop sucking right after they join a human civ and get metal weapons, so far the hardest fight in this adventure was an elven spearmaster armed with an iron spear.
Pages: 1 [2]