Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Safe Magma Tapping in 0.34  (Read 10762 times)

graklyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Safe Magma Tapping in 0.34
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:57:55 pm »

Experimented with a couple methods today, seems I found a way to breach the magma tube that consistently keeps me from having to sacrifice valuable copper picks miners to the lava gods. It's also cheap, requiring only 6 magma safe stone either mined out or embarked with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Point to note: Standing in the doorway and mining diagonally seems to be the safest.  Anything else occasionally toasts miners.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Safe Magma Tapping in 0.34
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:15:46 pm »

Dorfy way:

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:28:12 pm »

I don't think I've lost a miner when digging out a diagonal tile to tap into the holy liquid. Sometimes a low skill/clumsy dwarf will get a little melted if hitting a non diagonal stone.. but smoothing and carving a fortification works fine for those times :)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:36:33 pm »

Dorfy way:

^^^Deranged Fanatic ^^^

Ya dig it? :P

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:01 pm »

Although I've not tested it in 0.34, I believe that naked miners will be much more likely to survive than clothed miners. This is because burning clothes will kill a dwarf even if he escaped dying to the direct heat.

However for magma tapping, I've started just using a dwarf powered screw pump. Fills the magma plumping nice and quickly and to 7/7, while moving the magma up one z-level. Digging the inlet tile (if tapping the magma sea) is completely safe, and if the inlet is grated over nothing can come up through it (other than magma). Screw pump doesn't need to be made of magma-safe materials, I do it with silly stuff like silver corkscrews and lead pipes. Apparently wood doesn't work, if it did, I might consider it a bit too cheesy to use anyway. But in any case a stone block/metal pump never comes to any harm.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:27:09 pm »

Can someone confirm the validity of this plan?  This is well worth tossing into the knowledge center.

Jarlaxle212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:30:15 pm »

By Armoks bloody halls you figured it out thanks for sharing!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:25 pm »

Where are the 6 magma-safe stones used? I see one for the floodgate, one for the mechanism in the floodgate, and maybe one for the door.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:30 pm »

If all items were magma safe door, gate, lever, 2 mechanisms still only 5

Jalapeņo Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:44:09 pm »

I don't know what's been changed that relates to this, or what the conventional method was for the previous release, but I've always used this method (since I started DF again last year) for liquid transfer, and it seems to work fine, despite its aesthetic faults.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:03 am »

Huh, that actually looks pretty nice. It's not as quick and easy as the old "Poke a hole" way but... it certainly seems it would work. And stop me having a miner, calmly walk out in the world and burn it down.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:15:44 am »

Where are the 6 magma-safe stones used? I see one for the floodgate, one for the mechanism in the floodgate, and maybe one for the door.

2 more for mechanism attaching floodgate to lever. Thats 5.
He used a second door. 6

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:28:15 am »

Huh... it makes sense. You've come up with a completely obvious solution that will be used forever by dwarves. You deserve a medal.

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:42 am »

I found that if the "poke hole" is also a 1x wide channel with the slope wall that leads to a floor one zlevel up which is the preferred exit path, even a moron miner/mason will be able to escape unharmed.

This is how I got magma out of the volcano and into my magma glass furnaces safely.

Personally, as an addendum to this plan above, instead of diagonal mined tile next to the floodgate, turn it into a fortification. This will keep fire imps and magma crabs from pooping bassalt and flaming flatulence on your furnace operators.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:51 am »

I found that if the "poke hole" is also a 1x wide channel with the slope wall that leads to a floor one zlevel up which is the preferred exit path, even a moron miner/mason will be able to escape unharmed.

This is how I got magma out of the volcano and into my magma glass furnaces safely.

Personally, as an addendum to this plan above, instead of diagonal mined tile next to the floodgate, turn it into a fortification. This will keep fire imps and magma crabs from pooping bassalt and flaming flatulence on your furnace operators.

Better idea:  Forget that, and instead build the impassable tile of your workshops over the channel to power them.  But *GASP* this means you have to plan ahead and build your workshops in an efficient pattern or you need a very large room - with magma under it all for them.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.
Pages: [1] 2