Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244388 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:34 am »

~Snip
I'm pretty sure that applying a few of those to anybody would be offensives...

Anyway, short of knowing what people prefer to be called, I have just tried to refer to people who view themselves as a girl as girls, and those who view themselves as boys as boys. Guess I may have been onto something... Your a girl from my perspective Truean.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:18 am »

While different people have different feelings on what they feel they should be addressed as, it is generally bad to address people by subgroups, as it's inherently based in othering, even if unintentional.  Someone who has transitioned from male to female is a female, and someone who has transitioned from female to male is a male.  That's my feeling, at least.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:51 am »

~Snip
Your a girl from my perspective Truean.

[appreciative hug] :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:39 am »

I always go with the quote I got a while back from a story I read.

"If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and is trying damn hard to look like a duck then if you call it a duck it'll love you forever."
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2012, 01:09:27 am »

Please don't misunderstand what I was saying, I was commenting on a definition in use on the internet and touching a subject that is a big flame subject on many hentai places on the net.

I have the exact same opinion as Max is expressing when it comes to this.

~Snip
I'm pretty sure that applying a few of those to anybody would be offensives...
I pretty much agree, but they're used on the internet, hence they belonged in my arguement.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2012, 01:11:33 am »

Ah, I see... I do my best to avoid mass meme culture, not exactly my cup of tea, you know. Seems a lot like somebody thought of something funny, then it got spread and over used to the point of being annoying, and at that point it becomes a meme.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:02 am »

I worked in a coffee shop with a gay owner and probably 98% gay customers for about 2 years. Of course I was the token straight guy, but it was usually a blast. Met some really cool trans people while working there as well. That job (plus the side-effect of ending up with a lot of friends in the LGBT community) definitely helped to shatter some of my preconceptions about LGBT people in general.

As for internet memes, they definitely get annoying after a while. I think they're sort of comforting, though, in that they provide a common point of reference for almost everyone. It may be lame humor, but at least there's a 99% shot that the other person will 'get it', which is probably why they've become such a popular phenomenon.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-obamas-transgender-ex-nanny-outcast-070907242.html

And I've heard similar things in the US, minus the military dictatorship, plus police beatings.
Don't read the user comments unless you're looking for intolerance to prove my point.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2012, 01:27:22 pm »

Apparently here in the UK many Teens dont understand what constitues rape and assault.Some of this article makes troublesome reading regarding the casual attitudes some young people have to sexual violence.
This is a blank sig.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-obamas-transgender-ex-nanny-outcast-070907242.html

And I've heard similar things in the US, minus the military dictatorship, plus police beatings.
Don't read the user comments unless you're looking for intolerance to prove my point.

I'll never understand why people waste so much time getting so angry about how others live their lives.  It boggles the mind.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »

I'll never understand why people waste so much time getting so angry about how others live their lives.  It boggles the mind.

Same.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/03/sen-john-mccain-calls-on-us-to-lead-effort-for-air-strikes-on-syria/1#.T1UwAIE9VJE

I'm sorry, what? Let's say he's correct about all the facts:there is a major problem in Syria that needs dealing with militarily etc.... Why exactly do we have to lead the whole airstrike thing? What exactly happened to the UN, which doesn't appear to be doing a whole lot, despite there being numerous humanitarian disasters in the world? Haven't we come close enough to bankrupting ourselves with the whole "world police" thing, yet? I'm just so sick of a never ending state of undeclared war against whatever idea is the political hot topic this week. Used to be we fought wars against countries; those could end. Now we seem to fight wars against ideas, drugs, terrorism, whatever, and those can never end.

We just seem to always have money for the next war undeclared war conflict operation, "effort" but nothing else.... No problems coming up with cash for that.... Domestic issues, too expensive....

Please don't quote me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »

"Time is running out,"  [...] "The Arizona Republican said the Syrian government's crackdown on its political opposition has resulted in war crimes and that its neighbors in the region will intervene militarily, with or without the U.S."

That's the crux of the matter right there. If things happen "without the U.S." then U.S. loses the whole "the world will fall apart without U.S. intervention" meme, which justifies neo-imperialism, plus the chance to force in a group of pro-U.S leaders into an interim government of an oil-producing nation (think: exclusive oil drilling contracts for Texas companies like in the Kurdish part of Iraq). "Time is running out" to enforce U.S. military as the final arbiter. If the region solves this, time will have run out.

Same reason they prop up warmongering Colombia in South America (manufactured crises etc, bombing their neighboring countries then acting all hurt that other countries don't trust them).

Bankrupting the government, yes, but this is about private interests. You need to see it from their perspective. It'll never make sense from a "police the world" sense because that's only a pretext.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:11:34 pm by Reelya »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »

I agree with most of that actually.

Unfortunately they've screwed the the system over to the point that we're losing relevance. Now, for the first time in a long time, the most powerful country in the world will be one that can't trace itself back to Rome. Namely, China, which is quickly closing the gap between the US and themselves with newly constructed infrastructure and rapidly expanding industrial output while both of these rot in our lands....

History repeats itself. The British Empire fell.... Its Leaders (Royalty) became largely trivial, though much of the population still likes them. Now America's leaders, the elected politicians shall become as irrelevant as well. Just as elected government replaced the royalty, so to shall corporations replace the elected government. O, the elected government will live on, as a shadow of its former self and subservient to the corporation, just as the British Royalty is subservient to their government.

It's getting to the point where people question the government at every turn, don't like it, and demand it explain everything it does. A corporate policy however, is absolute and rarely questioned. By virtue of being "private" they can do whatever, including buying the government with "Campaign contributions."

We're already fracturing like Britain has between the Royalists and Non Royalists. We're the governmentists and the corporatists.... Elections and Primary Elections are media events much like a royal wedding.... The issues? What issues? News, especially political news, is now "entertainment."

I might be the first to compare the President of the United States and the rest of the Elected American Government to the present, declined state of the British Royalty and our governments replacement by corporate interests to the Royals being replaced by elected government. If I'm not then I haven't heard anyone else do it. [shrugs].

An elected government had voice to the government by right. Now it's voice for sale. You can't afford it....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:25:51 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:29 pm »

Yep, China may be half the current U.S. GDP but they doubled that in only 5 years. So looks likely that China's GDP will surpass USA very soon.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 759