Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247364 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #645 on: March 18, 2012, 12:24:37 pm »

Are you guys shitting me? People think that? That's the same thing they've been doing since Eisenhower and arguably FDR. Basically:

If the Soviet Union or Communists China or Terrorists start something and it's for real, then we ramp up the military industrial complex....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »

And why would Obama go to war with Iran for the sake of Israel exactly?  Isn't that what the conservatives want to pull off someday anyway to protect Israel?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #647 on: March 18, 2012, 01:12:50 pm »

And why would Obama go to war with Iran for the sake of Israel exactly?  Isn't that what the conservatives want to pull off someday anyway to protect Israel?

Yea... I thought they were blasting Obama for not unilaterally and unconditionally endorsing Israel attacking Iran by any means necessary up to and including a nuclear strike on Iran?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 18, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »

God, Obama. He hates Israel so much that the only thing that would make him support it is if he could manipulate it to gain more power.

Also, that lying discussion was dropped precisely when I was about to tell you guys to drop it. Good job there.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 18, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »

So my insane Tea Party fundamentalist co-worker (who doesn't have a clue as to my political leanings) breathlessly regales me this morning with stories of how Obama has passed a new executive order that makes him God-Emperor for Life.
*Insert mandatory Warhammer 40k joke*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:15:32 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 18, 2012, 11:07:43 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-host-call-monday-morning-002450673.html

Slave labor made products.
Expensive products.
Overpaid executives.
$600/share stock price.
$98 Billion cash on hand surplus....

I've said it once and I'll say it again, somehow, tax the shit out of these corporations already. Tax cuts won't do anything but give them even larger piles of money that they admittedly don't need. Regulate away some of that slave labor. Raise working wages. Bring down the cost of the products, reform some of the more egregious and unnecessary contract provisions, something.... Anything....

I'm sorry; you have enough. This is asinine. "Give them even more money," isn't the answer. People, real... real... people, living beings, need money in order to buy all that crap companies produce. <--- This is the cause for sluggish sales and thus the recession. Home prices, student loan debt, none of it would be an issue, if everyone were making a decent wage, because then, they could afford it....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:16:58 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 18, 2012, 11:17:02 pm »

"But Truean," opponents will reason, "what if they don't deserve that money? What if they haven't worked hard for it? Truth be told, most Westerners live a life of incomparable luxury. Complaining about that is just self-centered whining!"

Completely failing to see the hypocrisy there, or question why the use of slave labor is apparently morally right if it justifies obscene profit margins because of the invisible hand's infallibility, or that hardship is necessarily relative due to that whole human psychology thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #652 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »

98 billion could give 1 million people 98 thousand dollars. That is something like 4 to 10 years wages at the US poverty line depending on size of household and local cost of living. *Note that this is a very rough estimate.

And it could be used to set up their hundred thousand + Chinese laborers an solid middle class income (by Chinese standards) for the several decades, possibly their entire lives.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #653 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »

Give every person in the world 10 dollars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 18, 2012, 11:23:51 pm »

People often say this about Western nations, but I think that the true collapse of the global economy will come when China's workforce starts to retire. Assuming the PRC has not internally collapsed by then, anyway.

Come on, post-scarcity nanofabrication....
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 18, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »

"But Truean," opponents will reason, "what if they don't deserve that money? What if they haven't worked hard for it? Truth be told, most Westerners live a life of incomparable luxury. Complaining about that is just self-centered whining!"

Completely failing to see the hypocrisy there, or question why the use of slave labor is apparently morally right if it justifies obscene profit margins because of the invisible hand's infallibility, or that hardship is necessarily relative due to that whole human psychology thing.

If "most Westerners live a life of incomparable luxury," then give it to their third world factory slave labor.... What's that, o corporate tool? You don't ... want... to give it to your third world slave labor factory workers? I thought something was said about "working hard" for it...?" [Note: I know Bauglir isn't the aforementioned corporate tool]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:30:33 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:42 am »

"Well, sure, but they don't have that kind of luxury so obviously they don't deserve it."

There's no mental dissonance here at all, I'm sure. Clearly, the belief that hard work is all you need to succeed (and therefore if you haven't succeeded, you aren't working hard enoguh) is consistent with the belief that some people have it too easy when compared to all those people who work hard and still haven't succeeded.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:10 am »

"Well, sure, but they don't have that kind of luxury so obviously they don't deserve it."

There's no mental dissonance here at all, I'm sure. Clearly, the belief that hard work is all you need to succeed (and therefore if you haven't succeeded, you aren't working hard enough) is consistent with the belief that some people have it too easy when compared to all those people who work hard and still haven't succeeded.

Thinking the world is fair and just lets us do our two most favorite things: look down at other people, and praise ourselves. Simply, "we worked hard; they didn't, so screw them."

It's all crap. Yeah, there's clearly something to be said for merit, but people have no idea how much luck really factors into it. Did you graduate college or high school in a good or bad economy? In an area with plenty of jobs around? Was your dad an alcoholic who beat the living shit out of you every chance he got? Was your mom addicted to meth? Was your high school's funding cut denying you a decent education? Did you or your parents get sick and have to declare medical bankruptcy? Were your parents able to help pay for college and reduce or eliminate that student loan debt you'll be paying for at least 10 years, if not many more than that...? There's a lot of stuff.

Should you be rewarded for merit: absolutely.
Should you look down on people: not normally.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:57:10 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 19, 2012, 01:33:26 am »

In that discussion I had with my dad/uncle, I brought up that the free market was flawed because people don't care about things like slave labor in china. To which they responded, "Those people wouldn't have jobs at all otherwise." This is stupid, so of course I said there would be someone else to make use of the available labor and their response was that it was the government's fault for being corrupt and making it really hard for businesses to start up in China, requiring bribes and stuff. I have no clue why that justifies sweatshops, but apparently it does.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 19, 2012, 01:39:36 am »

I hope that's your dad AND your uncle not your "dad/uncle". J/K
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 759