Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247276 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #765 on: March 23, 2012, 03:23:37 pm »

If an arrest were made, and the system did its thing and it turns out that actually there was a just cause for Zimmerman's actions, then fair enough. But for the state to apparently dismiss it and for there to be material that appears to be evidence suggesting his actions were illegal circulating in the worlds media just smacks of something wrong.
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 23, 2012, 03:26:19 pm »

Whole thing is just sad.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:59:17 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 23, 2012, 03:33:19 pm »

I remember when they passed this law, cause we were heading down to Disney World a month or so after that. Perusing the text of the law, I surmised it was basically "You are entitled to shoot first if threatened, or if you feel threatened. No questions asked."

So once we got down to Kissimmee, I stayed in the condo as much as possible, and when we went out, I didn't so much as make eye-contact with anybody. Fuck that noise, I'm not going to get shot because Bubba thinks I was giving him the stink-eye.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 23, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

I remember when they passed this law, cause we were heading down to Disney World a month or so after that. Perusing the text of the law, I surmised it was basically "You are entitled to shoot first if threatened, or if you feel threatened. No questions asked."

So once we got down to Kissimmee, I stayed in the condo as much as possible, and when we went out, I didn't so much as make eye-contact with anybody. Fuck that noise, I'm not going to get shot because Bubba thinks I was giving him the stink-eye.

Legalese trying at justifying murder? Like I said, whole thing is just sad.

Edit 1:
http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-warns-employers-dont-ask-passwords-163806953.html

What did I say? Violates terms of service....

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/03/23/wisconsin-lawmaker-you-are-being-beaten-just-remember-things-you-love-about-your

So I don't know what to think about this.... "Instead of leaving an abusive situation, women should try to remember the things they love about their husbands," Representative Don Pridemore said. "If they can re-find those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help," he told a local news station.

???

So let me see if I have this right. Ladies, if your man is beating you, remember why you fell in love with him. That'll help.... Your esteemed state senator says so.... Same one who passed a law making them consider being a single mom a factor in child abuse.... I don't get what this guy is going for. Is he joking? Please say he's joking, and even then it isn't funny.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:03:40 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 23, 2012, 10:23:19 pm »

I am still waiting for those feminazis the Republicans think are hiding around every corner to come out of the woodwork and do a number on these bastards.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:37 pm »

I am still waiting for those feminazis the Republicans think are hiding around every corner to come out of the woodwork and do a number on these bastards.

Not sure how to respond to that, but yeah, the demonization doesn't seem to be holding up to reality. How dare females want equal rights.... :P

Ladies and gentlemen, the Amish are running amok, again.

Yet more proof that "traditional" or "conservative" values do not equate to "social stability...." Moreover, I can't believe I'm seriously quoting but, "So if I understand correctly, they are claiming Amish-on-Amish violence simply cannot be a hate crime." Yes, that's a legal argument....

It's the heart of progressiveness v. stagnation. Standing still doesn't mean you won't lose. It's the Red Queen's Riddle.

Relevant....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:51:58 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 24, 2012, 03:50:17 pm »

That picture is too huge to not be spoilered.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 24, 2012, 03:51:36 pm »

Your monitor and/or resolution is too small!

In serious, aren't drones that go over civilian areas (for surveillance and the like) unarmed?

EDIT: I should clarify, civilian areas on US soil. Civilians getting shot elsewhere by them I know isn't totally uncommon.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »

In serious, aren't drones that go over civilian areas (for surveillance and the like) unarmed?
For now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »

That picture is too huge to not be spoilered.

K

For now.

Until they start loading them, yes. The USA, land of the free and home of the brave, a scared police state that can kill anyone, anytime anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:54:16 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

Got a reason to believe they will be later?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »

Because TERRISTS ATTACKING ARE FREEDOMS, of course.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 24, 2012, 03:55:39 pm »

Got a reason to believe they will be later?

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2012/03/ag-sort-of-explains-when-and-why-the-president-could-drop-a-bomb-on-you.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinunderhill/2011/12/07/you-say-indefinite-military-detention-of-citizens-like-its-a-bad-thing/

If the government thinks you are a "terrorist," (an undefined term) based on "evidence" no one can see or question, then without any real due process, they can kill you, according to the Attorney General of the United States. But, don't worry, they won't abuse this power, they promise.... They also don't need checks and balances to make sure of that, scout's honor...? Pinkie swear?

This is not good.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:04:52 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 24, 2012, 04:02:16 pm »

I'm trying to see how you're not using a slippery slope fallacy, so pointing to non-drone related things isn't helping.

Closest to relevant that I found was this, linked from the first humor article you linked:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinunderhill/2012/03/05/attorney-general-explains-why-its-okay-to-kill-u-s-citizens-without-a-trial/

It specifies "in a foreign country." So I don't see any evidence of drones killing US citizens on US soil anytime soon. Outside, maybe. Under weak suspicions, sure. But not with the drones we're talking about.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 24, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

I mean, we've been using armed drones in the middle east, so we have the capability to. I'm not sure if that's going to lead to it. All it could take would be some McCarthyism, sure, but we're a little more protective of our own people than the brown ones over there (i.e. the whole "it's not okay to hold US citizens without trial" yet finding no problem with holding non-citizens).
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 759