Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247250 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #855 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:55 am »

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/miss-universe-canada-disqualifies-transsexual-contestant-she-born-192000420.html

Awww. I'm not really getting the rationale behind any of this.  Also don't read the comments. I made that mistake. I was kind of of the impression that you couldn't do this sort of thing in Canada? No? I mean I sorta thought GLBT people were more protected there than here. I remember watching a documentary about women's downhill bike racing that tried to exclude a transgender woman (MtF transsexual), and for whatever reason, they didn't disqualify her.

Whatever else you wanna say, you've sorta gotta (or should at least) give her credit for getting as far as she did. Being a national beauty pageant contestant is a hell of a thing, and not easy. I'm not saying being in a pageant is some sorta awe inspiring thing, because if the last few Miss America winners are any indication, they can say some pretty nutty things. I'm just saying, that's a heck of a long road to go from being a transgendered kid to a contestant in a beauty pageant.

I dunno, when if ever could someone just be considered a normal girl in that situation? That's kinda that goal....

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Transsexual+allowed+compete+Miss+Universe+Canada/6400095/story.html

She was un-disqualified.  :)  Nice to see a happy ending to one of these stories for once.

[Hugs] Thank you for finding that. :) Really.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/arizona-bill-could-criminalize-internet-trolling-184547052.html

It's clearly an election year, because Arizona is pretending to know what it's doing again while ignoring the real problems. Or do they do that all the time? Not sure.

Sad.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:40:56 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 03, 2012, 08:27:46 pm »

Arizona is so politically divergent that if I had to pick a candidate for "first secession from the Union" it would be them, if not for the fact that Arizona is rather lacking in domestic resources.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »

Maybe they all have heat stroke.

In serious, people have a right to be douchebags. No one has to like them for it, but so long as it doesn't constitute harassment, punishing people for "mean words" is ridiculous.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:48 pm »

Does this mean the trolls win?

Atleast against Arizona?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33:50 pm »

Does this mean the trolls win?

Atleast against Arizona?

I think so actually.... :(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:41:32 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 03, 2012, 08:34:08 pm »

All I know is that Anon will have a field day when this law gets to them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:50:37 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #862 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-student-sues-ohio-school-district-over-t-201525784.html

Boy wears shirt saying "Jesus isn't a homophobe" to school and isn't allowed because of its "sexual nature". He/his mother are suing for violation of his right to free speech. They are asking for the right to wear the shirt and unspecified damages. There are also a few thousand horribly homophobic asshat comments.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:09 pm »

Because referencing heterosexuality is standard fare and referencing homosexuality is always perverted.

Excuse me while I try to ascertain the level of eye-rolling this requires.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »

Yay Ohio, we're not nice at all.... :(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:42:38 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 03, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »

Since when do kids have free speech?

Sit down and shut up is the usual response to violations of free speech for students.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:43 am »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/04/11013517-30-people-pepper-sprayed-at-santa-monica-college-course-fees-protest

"What are you kids so upset about? We're just starting a trial program with tuition at 4x the current rate. First it'll run alongside the current program, but then we all know if we can charge four times as much for the same shit we give you now we will. The state cut our funding. What's your problem with making tuition four times as expensive. We've been explaining this to you for four hours and you're not understanding us...."

What's to fucking understand? 4x tuition cost for an education in a system that gets you no job and tons of debt. Of course I guess you don't "have" to go to school.... Then you still won't have a job and people will yell at you to go to school and get a job.....

So basically we can tax college kids (which is what this amounts to) but of course not the rich.... Taxes on college kids are great and they'll pay it through loans so their taxes will be taxed with interest to investors. It'll take them at least 10 years to pay off if they get a job. It's entirely possible it might take them 20 or 30 years to pay off at an extended payment plan. YAY.......

Really? Really people? This is ok? What he hell? Let's say your landlord just raised your rent to four times what it was before. $800/month. Screw you, now it's $3,200/month.... You wouldn't be the least bit upset? O you could move somewhere else or just not live there? Yeah, except you've been there for years and it's your home and you're sorta invested in the area etc....  Just wow. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but it's about the best you're gonna get.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:40:49 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #868 on: April 04, 2012, 09:40:11 am »

Since when do kids have free speech?

Sit down and shut up is the usual response to violations of free speech for students.

Usual and wrong.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 04, 2012, 11:12:34 am »

Well yeah, kids should probably come up with a reason why free speech should not be violated rather than telling whoever does it to shut up.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 759