Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244393 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #945 on: April 06, 2012, 08:36:57 am »

Conservative Christian groups engaging in organized campaign against anti-bullying laws under the pretext of religious freedom. You know, because Jesus said "Love thy neighbor, unless he's gay, in which case thou shouldst totally beat up on that f*g."  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:29 am »

Huh. I wonder how they're planning on spinning "Let the children be punched!" as they usually do. Normally they're all shouting, "protect the children!", but now they're doubling back. Bunch of weirdos, I say.

Quote from: A Christian Hard Rock Band
"They told these kids that anyone who was gay was going to die at the age of 42,"
Wha.... I don't even...?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 06, 2012, 10:36:06 am »

Quote from: A Christian Hard Rock Band
"They told these kids that anyone who was gay was going to die at the age of 42,"
Wha.... I don't even...?
I don't.
What.
Huh.
Who.
Why.
Okay seriously, how does that even make sense? How is that even supposed to make any sense?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:03 am »

It's just one of those things they throw out there to scare kids. "If you make faces it'll stick that way."  "If you masturbate you'll go blind." "If you're gay you'll die when you're 42."

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 06, 2012, 10:47:23 am »

Being gay is the answer to life, the universe, and everything? Damnit, I'm doing it wrong.

On a serious note, they were probably referencing a statistic on the life expectancy of a subset of the homosexual population that was largely infected with HIV. At least that's my guess if they have ANY credibility behind their statements. Granted it's assuming a little much to think they'll have sources for such nonsense.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 06, 2012, 10:54:38 am »

It's very simple. The number of the Beast is 666=(6+6+6)=18. The life expectancy of an American male is 78. Subtract the number of the Beast from that lifespan TWICE (because teh gay is just that evil) and you wind up with 42.

God has clearly spelled all this out through the holy texts of a man who was munching psychotropic mushrooms two millenia ago. WHY WONT YOU BELIEVE??!?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 06, 2012, 10:55:31 am »

WHY WONT YOU BELIEVE??!?
My tinfoil hat protects me from your mind control rays.

Weirdo.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #952 on: April 06, 2012, 11:16:59 am »

http://www.securityweek.com/former-cia-officer-indicted-sharing-classified-data-journalists

http://www.whistleblower.org/blog/42-2012/1894-the-truth-about-the-espionage-act-prosecution-against-whistleblower-john-kiriakou

The wistleblower who revealed torture in US detainment facilities to the press has been indicted and faces decades in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines. This is the 6th instance of the Obama administration prosecuting wistleblower under the espionage act and is the only person even remotely involved in the torture in detainment facilities to face prosecution.

Fuck you Obama and the Democratic party. You are as traitorous to the principals that America is supposed to strive towards as the republicans and conservatives.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:04 am »

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/04/yale-to-everybody-else-stop-scamming-people/

Sad.

Conservative Christian groups engaging in organized campaign against anti-bullying laws under the pretext of religious freedom. You know, because Jesus said "Love thy neighbor, unless he's gay, in which case thou shouldst totally beat up on that f*g."  ::)

http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html

And the response, which unfortunately ends badly more often than not:

http://www.danoah.com/2012/04/a-teens-brave-response-to-im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html/2/

People do not get how sucky it is being gay in America. Jacob's story is the norm more often than not. Your "friends" with very few exceptions just disappear once they figure it out. Damned if you can keep it secret forever too cause when you're 30 and have never had a girlfriend, and aren't looking for one, people figure it out. You'd be surprised how many say they are cool with it, but then suddenly chose not to associate with you.... :D ....:(

Being gay is the answer to life, the universe, and everything? Damnit, I'm doing it wrong.

On a serious note, they were probably referencing a statistic on the life expectancy of a subset of the homosexual population that was largely infected with HIV. At least that's my guess if they have ANY credibility behind their statements. Granted it's assuming a little much to think they'll have sources for such nonsense.
It's very simple. The number of the Beast is 666=(6+6+6)=18. The life expectancy of an American male is 78. Subtract the number of the Beast from that lifespan TWICE (because teh gay is just that evil) and you wind up with 42.

God has clearly spelled all this out through the holy texts of a man who was munching psychotropic mushrooms two millenia ago. WHY WONT YOU BELIEVE??!?

This is another stereotype: "there are no old gays." :D [bursts out laughing]. It's a mixture of "there weren't any gays when I was a kid," from old people (because they were terrified you'd arrest and imprison or just plain old lynch them), and  "o you grow out of it/ it's just a phase."

Response: :D

Pictured: a guy who's been treated worse than most.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:09:12 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 06, 2012, 01:15:24 pm »

Response: :D

Pictured: a guy who's been treated worse than most.

I don't know what his history is, but that picture is absolutely adorable.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 06, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »

Actually homophobia as a whole can be considered a phase humanity goes through.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »

It's not a phase. It's a long-standing attitude from older western culture (and some others, but for the most part western culture). The West just happened to collectively take over most of the world after the end of the middle ages. Europe, Africa, the Americas, Austrialia, and about half of Asia have been under western control at some point, and all but Africa, Asia, and arguably South America still are.

It is thus no surprise that homophobia became so wide spread. I actually remember reading about some groups in Africa that found homosexuality culturally acceptable until the European powers took over the entire continent (minus Ethiopia).

It just so happens that these days the West itself has lost and is losing it's acceptance of homophobia and other forms of intolerence in general.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:15 pm »

I actually remember reading about some groups in Africa that found homosexuality culturally acceptable until the European powers took over the entire continent (minus Ethiopia).
Well obviously that acceptance was just proof that they needed "civilizing".

Transvestitism used to be reserved for the priesthood, too. (at least in Near Eastern cults like that of Dionysus, El-Gabal, and a number of goddesses)
It's been theorized that some of the most strident anti-homosexual and anti-female language used by St. Paul was designed to draw a sharp distinction between early Christianity and these other cults, many of whom would have been existing side by side with Christians in Asia Minor.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:29 pm »

A petition that just went up a few minutes ago. The White House responded to the last anti-PATRIOT-Act petitions without actually saying much, so another one has formed. (The plan being to keep a constant presence. If they have to keep writing responses, they might one day think of an alternative.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #959 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:42 pm »

A petition that just went up a few minutes ago. The White House responded to the last anti-PATRIOT-Act petitions without actually saying much, so another one has formed. (The plan being to keep a constant presence. If they have to keep writing responses, they might one day think of an alternative.)

Yea. The response to he last anti-patriot act petition was some bullshit about how awesome the patriot act is.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 759