Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247350 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #975 on: April 13, 2012, 08:29:46 pm »

Naaah. We've got an entire industry already bypassing that limitation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 13, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/resolution_amend_constitution_banning_corporate_personhood_vermont_20110124/?ln

Dunno if it'll go anywhere, but it really should. The real problem with "corporate personhood," is that they aren't really people and can't have the limitations of people. They're immortal, you can't imprison them for their crimes, etc.

I have an interesting argument I'm certain would never fly:

If slavery is unconstitutional and slavery is the ownership of people, which apparently includes corporations, then no one can own a corporation, because doing so would be owning a person.... Slavery. The number of owners of a person is irrelevant as is the division of ownership. The existence of ownership of a person is sufficient to establish slavery.... He'll it's ownership of a person expressly for profit....

That's right Scalia, you insufferable hack, look at the shit you just stepped in.... You short sighted moron.... It's kinda on you rather than me if the result is entirely impractical and stupid, huh?

Logically, corporate ownership is slavery for profit if corporations are people.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:21:49 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 13, 2012, 09:05:24 pm »

Somebody needs to make a "Is Scalia Dead Yet?" site in the vein of "Is Thatcher Dead Yet?" His leaving the Court, one way or another, will be a great victory for justice.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »

That's right Scalia, you insufferable hack, look at the shit you just stepped in.... You short sighted moron.... It's kinda on you rather than me if the result is entirely impractical and stupid, huh?

I don't believe he can hear you. He's too busy pissing on the words 'Conflict of Interest.'
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »

If slavery is unconstitutional and slavery is the ownership of people, which apparently includes corporations, then no one can own a corporation, because doing so would be owning a person.... Slavery. The number of owners of a person is irrelevant as is the division of ownership. The existence of ownership of a person is sufficient to establish slavery.... He'll it's ownership of a person expressly for profit....

Logically, corporate ownership is slavery for profit if corporations are people.
They'd probably just argue that slavery is the ownership of human beings rather than people, and that human beings and people are different things.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 13, 2012, 09:29:26 pm »

They'd probably just argue that slavery is the ownership of human beings rather than people, and that human beings and people are different things.
Exactly. It's a crazy distinction. That's why I said it'd certainly never fly. The argument you said would win, probably with 99.9% certainty. Yet, it doesn't make sense.

Corporations are people when they want to be and not people when they don't want to be is roughly the effect of it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:35:17 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

Got another email from the Christian ministry I signed up for years ago.  This email so completely misses the point o_O  It's like they absolutely must disagree with the GLBT community at all costs, even if they're essentially fighting on the same side.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't even.... AUGH.  Gays are driven into silence because honest dialogue doesn't occur.  And now they're blaming gays for being driven into silence... almost like they believe gays make up stories about being bullied, then go around NOT talking about being gay, and somehow make things worse?

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 16, 2012, 02:25:03 am »

Got another email from the Christian ministry I signed up for years ago.  This email so completely misses the point o_O  It's like they absolutely must disagree with the GLBT community at all costs, even if they're essentially fighting on the same side.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't even.... AUGH.  Gays are driven into silence because honest dialogue doesn't occur.  And now they're blaming gays for being driven into silence... almost like they believe gays make up stories about being bullied, then go around NOT talking about being gay, and somehow make things worse?
I'm having the same issue, except it's from a bible college that I've been getting calls and emails from. I keep getting scripture sent to me that's similar to that in nature. Frankly, this hatred of a group of people due to sexual orientation is sickening. I don't care what your orientation is, as long as you're a good person, no problem here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 16, 2012, 03:15:38 am »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:23:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:55 am »

"Yeah, because having someone on the internet who's never met me hate me without even knowing me isn't supposed to bother me."
Admittedly, you're on the internet. This is probably true whoever you are. The difference is mostly in quantity rather than kind.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:03 am »

There's an actual person making those comments, though. It's really no different than a random passerby on the street insulting you for no reason. In both cases, you have no idea who the person is and will probably never meet them again... you just can't walk over and punch them in the face on the internet.

I'm not sure advocating apathy is a proper response to people being jerks, no matter the communication medium. "Grow a thick skin" and "serious business" puts the blame on the target of the insult, not the person making it, as if throwing insults is fine and dandy but responding to them is not. Of course, a hypersensitive inappropriate response can make the target guilty of being a jackass as well ("they started it" is a pathetic mindset), but it won't absolve the instigator.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:48 am »

Oh right.  Speaking of which:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/12/anti-gay-adverts-boris-johnson

Essentially some extremely homophobic adverts well pulled from appearing on London buses at the last minute.  The reason cited were that they were offensive, which is true, although I don't think that's the core issue.  The core issue is that the study they're citing as their scientific evidence is bullshit, meaning that they're simply falsely advertising.  I guess this will turn into a debate about censorship and whether you're allowed to straightup lie to people through adverts, but hey.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

Oh right.  Speaking of which:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/12/anti-gay-adverts-boris-johnson

Essentially some extremely homophobic adverts well pulled from appearing on London buses at the last minute.  The reason cited were that they were offensive, which is true, although I don't think that's the core issue.  The core issue is that the study they're citing as their scientific evidence is bullshit, meaning that they're simply falsely advertising.  I guess this will turn into a debate about censorship and whether you're allowed to straightup lie to people through adverts, but hey.
It has always been illegal in almost any sensible country to quote false sources and use them as advertisements, I do think, no one really complained about this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:18 am »

It's really no different than a random passerby on the street insulting you for no reason.
I actually hate when this happens. Fucking assholes. But I'm not advocating apathy here, and I don't think anyone else is either. But what can you do? You're going to rage against the wind, or wrap yourself up a bit tighter to cut the bite?

Mind you I would pretty much advocate stabbing the wind if it were possible, but you're not allowed to do that to the people either. So we should definitely find ways to make this sort of thing less common, if possible, but we also need to focus on giving people (and not just gay people) the sort of support and acceptance they need to weather the brunt of verbal assaults from strangers. Because if there's one thing that makes something like this better, it's having a group of people agree about what a dick that guy is.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:30 am »

You could also creep them out by being unusually kind to your insulters, might work.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 759