Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247392 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1275 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:16 pm »

Sorry for double post but really in this case:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/politics/north-carolina-marriage/index.html
The North Carolina Constitutional Amendment defining marriage between a man and woman passed. [sigh].

I keep hearing about "progress" in the attitudes towards gays/same sex marriage.... :( When people vote though....
I apologize on behalf of my state. Seriously. I will never be ashamed of being a North Carolinian, but I'm incredibly disappointed with about 61% of its population right now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:39 pm »

re: progress.

This stuff is reactionary. Whenever change is happening, those who don't like it aren't going to take it sitting down. Like GlyphGryph said, they're doing this because they feel threatened, and all this should be seen as the gears creaking as they move.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 08, 2012, 09:41:32 pm »

re: progress.

This stuff is reactionary. Whenever change is happening, those who don't like it aren't going to take it sitting down. Like GlyphGryph said, they're doing this because they feel threatened, and all this should be seen as the gears creaking as they move.

61% of the voting population though.... You gotta admit that's a valid concern. Ohio had about the same percent in 2004 when this happened here. It may eventually change, but I'm thinking in about 10... maybe 20 years.... That's a long time. Transsexual rights are even further behind gay rights too....

I dunno. My personal experiences. I really hope they aren't the norm. People say they are for gay rights so they don't get some funny looks (and I wonder how many people only give those funny looks because they are "supposed" to) but when they're alone.... I've had straight guys between the ages of let's say 22-32 ish not be cool with a gay guy hanging around their girlfriend. Sometimes they push it into a "your gay friend or your boyfriend" choice for her. Guess which one she picks....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:46:52 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:32 pm »

But the thing is? Look just at the last ten years. Sure theres a bunch of states that have said this is double-plus ungood, but thats functionally meaningless. Meanwhile, you have other states that actually HAVE allowed full marriage rights. Where you couldn't get married before.

Thats progress.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 08, 2012, 09:51:58 pm »

Also, remember, that's 61% of primary voters; turnout was somewhere in the 30% range.  Perhaps if it was during the general, it may have been closer.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »

And its more popular among the younger voters who have a significantly harder time trying to vote. (I didn't vote last election because I had no residency, for example)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1281 on: May 08, 2012, 10:34:04 pm »

Gotta love those constitutional marriage bans. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those who cannot learn from history....
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 08, 2012, 10:47:29 pm »

Also remember just because on the ballot people are against it, doesn't mean it's an all out "everyone hates gays" thing. Plenty of people might be perfectly fine with gay people, but just because they aren't gay themselves, the measure doesn't directly affect them and they don't end up caring, being informed, or otherwise finding their own reason to go out and vote against stupid stuff like this.

It matters to me, but I can't believe with certainty that ever would have been the case if I didn't have so many friends that it does affect.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 09, 2012, 06:23:31 am »

Also remember just because on the ballot people are against it, doesn't mean it's an all out "everyone hates gays" thing. Plenty of people might be perfectly fine with gay people, but just because they aren't gay themselves, the measure doesn't directly affect them and they don't end up caring, being informed, or otherwise finding their own reason to go out and vote against stupid stuff like this.

It matters to me, but I can't believe with certainty that ever would have been the case if I didn't have so many friends that it does affect.

This. People have a history of being apathetic, and if the anti-gay people become threatening enough it doesn't matter how many people believe in rights if they're afraid to vote that way.

But I have no idea about the latter :P

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:47 am »

I apologize on behalf of my state.
Same here.
On the marginally less terrible side, the votes percentage supporting the amendment is quite likely inflated compered to the proportion of the actual population that supported it, because the amendment was voted on during the primaries, which last I heard had less priority for democratic voters (though that may have changed with the various drop-outs from the presidential race).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 09, 2012, 12:24:37 pm »

So, apparently Richard Mourdock supports repealing the 17th Amendment, the one that allows direct elections of senators.

Campaign event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdTEtqiNqFc

The stupid, it hurts.  PLEASE MAKE IT STOP :'(

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 09, 2012, 12:39:30 pm »

The only comment so far is a conspiracy theory...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 09, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »

So, apparently Richard Mourdock supports repealing the 17th Amendment, the one that allows direct elections of senators.

Campaign event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdTEtqiNqFc

The stupid, it hurts.  PLEASE MAKE IT STOP :'(
Sooooo... why exactly might he want that to happen?
 ???
Doesn't seem like he'd get a TON out of it. Unless he figures that smaller groups of people are easier to influence. (Which is probably true.)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 759