Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247219 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1500 on: May 23, 2012, 06:33:48 am »

Hey, at least hopefully it'll show the states why such laws are bad ideas. Anyone up for a betting poll on how long it takes for North Dakota to realise it was a stupid idea?
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 23, 2012, 09:04:53 am »

Well, it really depends on how it's enforced, since I don't think a "compelling interest" is well defined.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:45 am »

How do law enforcers determine what beliefs are both religious and sincerely held, anyway? I'm not entirely sure how you'd identify either, unless you discriminate based on organization size in the case of the former and just take people's word for it in the latter case (which would be hilarious, in a sense.). "Why yes, your honor, it is my sincerely held belief that employees should not receive benefits, safe working conditions, or a living wage."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:14:29 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1503 on: May 23, 2012, 09:17:19 am »

Think of the old school mormons who will be allowed to express their deeply held religious convictions regarding the pimping of 11 year old girls.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:15 am »

So basically, the church can overrule the state...? No literally, that's what this is. It's a broad based attempt at a theocratic takeover. Simply, all the state can really do is pass laws and with this, all religious people have to do is have a "sincerely held religious belief" and none of those laws apply anymore. Same with regulations and pretty much everything. They're almost becoming citizens of their religion where the state is subservient by the plain text of this law, because it becomes clear who trumps who.... 

That doesn't even get into the practical impossibilities of implementing this law. Starting with the big one, if someone starts a satanic cult can they perform human sacrifices? If someone believes religiously in "honor killings" (indian or islamic) can they do those. Or, if I'm a hard core christian can I literally put Leviticus into effect?

Hey, it's in the bible man, so you know that's legit....  ;) You wore mixed fabrics, ate shellfish and pork, have a tatoo, and like 10 other things that book of the bible prohibits so clearly you get stoned to death and it's on your own head....

This law is completely impractical and just.... Nuts really.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 23, 2012, 10:05:32 am »

"Honour violence" is a religious thing, Truean, it's cultural. It's just as prevalent among Middle East Christians as it is among Muslims, and not just "fundamentalists" either.

On satanists though, it would be funny if those "satanist" "religions" that basically just comes down to getting a mandate to be douchebags to people use this law as an excuse to constantly be, well, douchebags to people.
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:47 am »

"Honour violence" is a religious thing, Truean, it's cultural. It's just as prevalent among Middle East Christians as it is among Muslims, and not just "fundamentalists" either.

On satanists though, it would be funny if those "satanist" "religions" that basically just comes down to getting a mandate to be douchebags to people use this law as an excuse to constantly be, well, douchebags to people.

Agreed partially, but you know that makes the point more clearly. Moreover, you know or really should know that if someone is accused of a crime and tries to use this as a defense then it will suddenly become religious or they'll turn up some old passage from somewhere to try and fit it into the religious category.....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:03 am »

That doesn't even get into the practical impossibilities of implementing this law. Starting with the big one, if someone starts a satanic cult can they perform human sacrifices? If someone believes religiously in "honor killings" (indian or islamic) can they do those. Or, if I'm a hard core christian can I literally put Leviticus into effect?

Pretty sure with humanity's track record there will be plenty of exceptions. Those being the desires of minority religious groups. Heck, this law itself is giving special rights that won't be granted to the non-religious anyway, so they might as well go the full distance in discrimination and enshrinement of privilege.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:14 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/anti-racists-attack-white-heritage-group-family-restaurant-003220721--abc-news-topstories.html

White supremacist meeting attacked by members of H.A.R.M. anti-racist organizations.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:20 am »

Never thought I'd feel bad for the White Supremacists, just minding their own business.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:16 am »

Never thought I'd feel bad for the White Supremacists, just minding their own business.

I still don't. White supremacists who were actively participating in a white supremacist meeting to actively further their white supremacist goals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:23 am »

They named their organization H.A.R.M?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:25 am »

I still don't. White supremacists who were actively participating in a white supremacist meeting to actively further their white supremacist goals.

Good for you! You are a fascist.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:30 am »

Really? How does that make me a fascist?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1514 on: May 23, 2012, 11:33:56 am »

Steel batons and hammers.

I'm going to put on my thinking hat (tin foil make), and say it's another one of them gummiment conspiracies.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 759