Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244327 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1620 on: May 29, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »

But we don't think it's bad to do that to people who are actually criminals.
Reminding people that America is a place where rape is considered an acceptable punishment for fraud really doesn't make us look any better :-\

Which, hell, might not have been what you were trying for. It's a fair shake to remind folks outside of the states that we're amoral bastards in general when it comes to certain issues, I guess. Anything to help push toward some degree of change for th'fact that our prison system is one of the worst human rights violations/injustices in the first world.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 29, 2012, 08:16:39 pm »

Reminding people that America is a place where rape is considered an acceptable punishment for fraud really doesn't make us look any better :-\

Which, hell, might not have been what you were trying for. It's a fair shake to remind folks outside of the states that we're amoral bastards in general when it comes to certain issues, I guess. Anything to help push toward some degree of change for th'fact that our prison system is one of the worst human rights violations/injustices in the first world.
No, that wasn't what I was trying for. I was trying for prison in general. I can safely say that I don't support prison rape.

I don't even know how you got that out of my statement, honestly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 29, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »

We lock people up in tiny concrete rooms with other people who may or may not be violent, giving them all nothing but the basic supplies to stay alive, for years and years and years.

It's a pretty explicit statement. You can't really say we support that and then say you're against prison rape -- the situation leads to the act, to a large degree.

Even without that. Assault, beatings, etc. -- your statement explicitly states that it's not bad that a non-violent offender be confined with individuals that will in all likelyhood attack them, quite possibly repeatedly.

Now, you could say you're for incarceration, but not for excessively unsupervised incarceration where things like that are allowed to happen -- that would be fine, and I'm a lot less troubled by that position (though I still have issues with it, they're more axiomatic issues than actual functional ones). But, that's not the American prison system, and it's not what our society is largely not bothered by.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 29, 2012, 08:31:45 pm »

Even without that. Assault, beatings, etc. -- your statement explicitly states that it's not bad that a non-violent offender be confined with individuals that will in all likelyhood attack them, quite possibly repeatedly.
My statement does not explicitly state that at all. The threat poised by other prisoners is not something I want, it's just how things are, and that it isn't enough to make prison unacceptable to society.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:23 pm »

Which... is kinda' what I said? I didn't explicitly say you were for it to begin with -- I said that, to wit,

And, as said, I didn't say you want it. You just said you don't want it. You said it's not a bad thing -- that, specifically, it's an acceptable thing (regardless of how immoral it is) -- that it happens to criminals. I'm agreeing with you that that is exactly how the American population in aggregate believes -- and that it doesn't exactly shine us in the best of lights.

Which... yeah. Some international condemnation of the hellhole we've made our prison system might help some. Higher awareness of exactly how badly we're fucking things up might help us fix things up a bit, too. M'all for that.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:41 pm »

Which... is kinda' what I said? I didn't explicitly say you were for it to begin with -- I said that, to wit,

And, as said, I didn't say you want it. You just said you don't want it. You said it's not a bad thing -- that, specifically, it's an acceptable thing (regardless of how immoral it is) -- that it happens to criminals. I'm agreeing with you that that is exactly how the American population in aggregate believes -- and that it doesn't exactly shine us in the best of lights.
I don't know how to make this any more clear to you:

I didn't say that.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 29, 2012, 08:46:32 pm »

I think the point is made if you omit the part about violence and rape and note that we accept putting people in cages for years. Please understand that I do not mean to endorse the point or otherwise take a stance on the matter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 29, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »

I didn't say that.
Then I'm not sure how else to interpret this:
We lock people up in tiny concrete rooms with other people who may or may not be violent, giving them all nothing but the basic supplies to stay alive, for years and years and years. If you did that to someone who wasn't a criminal people would find you abhorrent. Indeed, we find it so abhorrent to do that to an innocent person that if it does happen the level of money they're usually compensated with upon release could be lived off of for many years.

Unless, again, you're for a system which doesn't allow the acts implicit with that set up to occur -- which isn't our system. I'm with you so far as that goes -- like I said, that position does not bother me nearly as much.
Ask not!
Ask!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 29, 2012, 09:14:14 pm »

And backing up just a second here.....

True: All human life is equally valuable, but not all killings are equally blameworthy. Your passion has clouded your eyes. All killings are homicides; not all homicides are murder. Observe:

A.) While driving home, John hits a 7 year old with his car. John immediately stops and calls 911. The child is taken to the hospital but dies 3 days later of her wounds. John was talking on his cell phone while holding a soda pop and trying to tune in his radio: a literally fatal distraction. John is convicted of negligent homicide, serves 3 years in prison with good behavior, has his license suspended, and is sued by the child's family for wrongful death. The judgment is large and though John's insurance covers it, he is effectively unable to drive for several years if ever, due to the rate increases.

B.) Dave comes home, finds his wife in bed with another man and shoots them both in a "heat of passion." He is tried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter, because of the "heat of passion" mitigating circumstance. He serves 10 years in prison.

C.) Tommy wants Joe's car. Tommy doesn't have any money, so instead he gives Joe two bullets in the head, unceremoniously removes his corpse from the car, and drives off in it. The police eventually catch Tommy, who is convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

There are degrees of evil.... Society has less to fear from John than from Tommy. Tommy is far more blameworthy, because he did it, he meant to do it, and if he could, he'd do it again. While John may have killed a child, he sincerely didn't mean to, but he had a duty to drive his car safely. He breached that duty and some kid died for it. He didn't pay attention and negligently killing somebody isn't as bad as planning to and actually doing it on purpose.

I didn't say that.
Then I'm not sure how else to interpret this:
We lock people up in tiny concrete rooms with other people who may or may not be violent, giving them all nothing but the basic supplies to stay alive, for years and years and years. If you did that to someone who wasn't a criminal people would find you abhorrent. Indeed, we find it so abhorrent to do that to an innocent person that if it does happen the level of money they're usually compensated with upon release could be lived off of for many years.

Unless, again, you're for a system which doesn't allow the acts implicit with that set up to occur -- which isn't our system. I'm with you so far as that goes -- like I said, that position does not bother me nearly as much.

The prison system is unsafe, underfunded, overcrowded, and over sentenced for non violent criminals, especially drug offenders. It has definite problems, which need to be fixed. That said, fixing those problems is the issue. Society has a right to protect itself from dangerous individuals and separation/incarceration is the only means of doing so. The problem is with the method of incarceration, namely the, quite frankly, piss poor way in which we do it. Incarceration per se, in and of itself, isn't the problem. It's the fact that the realities of it, as it is currently done, need serious fixing....

That's funny, I heard that so will getting murdered. But I guess your life doesn't matter if you've picked a lock or broken a window.
They made that choice themselves. Sometimes your choices end up costing you more than you intended.

I think it's more, the person who killed in self defense had no other option. Nobody deserves to die, but if it comes down to two people and one of them is going to die, then the person who didn't create that situation shouldn't be the one to die. Rather, they've the right to defend themselves. Though quite frankly, theft is a risky proposition and honestly getting yourself hurt by the person you're trying to steal from, is something every theft should anticipate the possibility of....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:17:17 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 29, 2012, 09:20:22 pm »

That's funny, I heard that so will getting murdered. But I guess your life doesn't matter if you've picked a lock or broken a window.
They made that choice themselves. Sometimes your choices end up costing you more than you intended.
As stated here, this argument would seem be applicable to any punishment for any crime.
A more extreme example of 'they knew the risks and did the crime anyway' would be how a number of historical law systems punished petty theft (such as pickpocketing)  by severing the thief's right hand. Is this a reasonable and appropriate punishment?
Soaplent green is goblins!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 29, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

Unless, again, you're for a system which doesn't allow the acts implicit with that set up to occur -- which isn't our system.
I'm pretty sure that there is no system in which that happens. You can't fully isolate the prisoners, they'll go insane if you do that, but if you let them congregate violence will happen because they're more likely to be violent people.
I'm with you so far as that goes -- like I said, that position does not bother me nearly as much.
Stop agreeing with me on something I don't believe in! Prison violence is an inevitability, not something I see as an acceptable part of prison! Gah!
As stated here, this argument would seem be applicable to any punishment for any crime.
A more extreme example of 'they knew the risks and did the crime anyway' would be how a number of historical law systems punished petty theft (such as pickpocketing)  by severing the thief's right hand. Is this a reasonable and appropriate punishment?
That would require catching the thief, at which point all sorts of standards of humaneness come into play. I'm alright with shooting a thief in a hot-blooded situation, i.e., as the crime is taking place. Torturing, mutilating, or killing them in a cold-blooded situation, i.e., after they have been apprehended, is not acceptable.

Also, they still do that to thieves in Saudi Arabia. No point being made there, just a related fact.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:25:43 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 29, 2012, 09:29:26 pm »

Unless, again, you're for a system which doesn't allow the acts implicit with that set up to occur -- which isn't our system.
I'm pretty sure that there is no system in which that happens. You can't fully isolate the prisoners, they'll go insane if you do that, but if you let them congregate violence will happen because they're more likely to be violent people.
I'm with you so far as that goes -- like I said, that position does not bother me nearly as much.
Stop agreeing with me on something I don't believe in! Prison violence is an inevitability, not something I see as an acceptable part of prison! Gah!

Well now, is it honestly so absolute? If it's an isolation v. congregation thing, then why not have the prisoners congregate in several small room groups with rotating meal times rather than plop them all in one large cafeteria? This would cut down on violence, make gang activity harder to carry out, and make the guards' jobs easier. It's a hell of a lot better to full lockdown 10 prisoners in one smaller dining room than 2000 in a cafeteria.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1632 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »

Would cost more, for one. O_o
Or rather, be more of a pain to do.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 29, 2012, 09:35:38 pm »

Would cost more, for one. O_o
Or rather, be more of a pain to do.

Well, this is true, but I propose worth it. As it stands, prison is graduate school for criminals. A thief goes in, and by the time he leaves in 3 years, he's a member of a gang to survive, has learned several criminal behaviors, has no sense of giving a shit about other people, might have developed or worsened a drug problem, and is hardly "rehabilitated." If anything, he's now more pissed off, more willing and able to do things, and probably more likely to be violent.

Is preventing or lessening that worth it? I'd say probably.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1634 on: May 29, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »

I totally agree that it's worth it, but I suspect it's not feasible at all.
Some jails just want costs at a minimum and don't care about long term effects.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 759