Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247235 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1845 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:36 am »

The Jews don't believe that all the Gentiles are damned to Hell. I'm pretty sure most of the Jewish sects don't even believe in a Hell. They just see themselves as God's Chosen People.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:34 am »

You know who I like? The Jews. It's against their religion to eat pork and shellfish, but do you see them trying to make laws forbidding that? Nope.

You think? Look up the ultra-orthodox quarters in New York or Israel.

That's like pointing to the hardcore evangelicals though.... Most of the Jews I know don't really care what other people do. Being in law, who are we kidding, I know a lot of them.

I don't know any Christians that want to make religion into law either. That's a mark of the religious extremist. You just seem to have a lot of them.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 13, 2012, 11:59:33 am »

The Jews don't believe that all the Gentiles are damned to Hell. I'm pretty sure most of the Jewish sects don't even believe in a Hell. They just see themselves as God's Chosen People.

Ah. Thanks. Sorry. But I think the general idea still stands right? Can't save or help the others, so no point.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1848 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:46 pm »

... But chosen for what exactly?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »

... But chosen for what exactly?
Given the history of the Jews, I'd have to say "suffering". But really, I think it's mostly just a left over of an old school "we're the favorite" attitude from back in the day, which is to say several thousand years ago.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:25:23 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 13, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »

From what I remember, they see themselves as the Chosen to keep the light burning in a dark world. At least, that's the idealized theological notion. In that, they share a lot with the Christian monastics who preserved literacy and culture in the Dark Ages. All the various laws and practices and tendency towards self-segregation is supposed to keep them focused on this purpose and to keep them from being steadily absorbed into the world of darkness. If the Jews stop being Jews, the light goes out of the world.

Of course, I dated a Reformed Jewish girl for a while. When I asked "how reformed?", she answered "We're having pork chops for dinner."  xD

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »

One of my Jewish friends ate my microwaveable bacon. Just when I think my food is safe...
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »

One of my Jewish friends ate my microwaveable bacon. Just when I think my food is safe...
Man, he really jewed you.

(don't hurt me)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:07 pm »

Darn Jews. Always taking your stuff when you ain't lookin'!

Amirite? Amirite?

(are racist jokes bad if they're making fun of racists?)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 13, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »

Especially the Mexican Jew lizards.

(yeah we should probably stop now)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1855 on: June 13, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »

A bar walks into a bar and...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: June 13, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

EDIT: I just re-read this and it makes no sense. The hell, past MSH?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:38:12 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 16, 2012, 03:27:31 pm »

Remember the proposed North Dakota constitutional measure to allow people to claim innocence if something "violated their religion"?
It failed, 64% to 36%.  Also, there apparently was another ass backwards proposal to eliminate property taxes (I guess funding schools and fire departments isn't important to some people.), and it failed 77% to 23%.

Link to results; Measure 2 is the one proposing to eliminate property taxes, and measure 3 is the religion one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 16, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »

I guess both of those lose a lot of votes right off the bat and would probably struggle to find appeal even among strongly Republican voters.  The religion one seems pretty unconstitutional and would allow MUSLIMS to be exempt from some laws (both anathema to hard right voters) while even the most hardcore libertarian would likely see that removing property taxes would cause a horrifying deficit or taxes on everything else to sharply rise.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 16, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »

I don't think you understand the Libertarians. Some of them want there to be no taxes at all.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 759