Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244260 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1905 on: June 20, 2012, 10:34:54 am »

So the HRC did a neat study with LGBT youth (PDF, you have been warned) that has some interesting info. But man did their graphic designer have fun with it. It's almost all wasted space.

And, that's just the ones who would actually take the survey.... Great isn't it? :) [sigh]

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:59:30 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:51 am »

So the HRC did a neat study with LGBT youth (PDF, you have been warned) that has some interesting info. But man did their graphic designer have fun with it. It's almost all wasted space.
I'm pretty sure at least one of those pages was designed to short out optical nerves (the one with cyan text on yellow)...ZE GOGGLES ZEY DO NOTHING

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: June 20, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

Paint 'em orange, that oughta help :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:06 am »

I can't even get it to a state in which the large letters read correctly while keeping the small letters legible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: June 20, 2012, 10:53:07 am »

I can't even get it to a state in which the large letters read correctly while keeping the small letters legible.

Yeah, I understand getting messages out creatively but damn. Also I'm the (secretly) gayest thing you've ever see, and I think it's overdone.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:29 am »

Turkey, who is trying to get in the EU, recently charged a Kurdish man was charged with terror. Because he had half a lemon and was at a PKK rally. PKK is a banned party. It also doesn't help that "expression of Kurdish identity still seems to be perceived as many as, by definition, a threat to the unity of the Turkish state. Two weeks before, a Turkish pianist named Fazil Say was accused of insulting Islam. Turkey doesn't have a state religion, but AKP, the ruling party, is slightly Islamist.

e: Turkey is trying to get into the EU. At this rate, I don't think it'll get in for a long time.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:14 am »

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/671285_Courts-weigh-adult-children-s-responsibility-in-parents--care-costs.html

This is... seriously a thing? Holy motherfucking god, how can this be a thing? How can this possibly ever be a thing?

This is absolutely horrid. Ugh.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/671285_Courts-weigh-adult-children-s-responsibility-in-parents--care-costs.html

This is... seriously a thing? Holy motherfucking god, how can this be a thing? How can this possibly ever be a thing?

:(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:58:50 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1913 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »

There are so many ways this will go wrong.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: June 20, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »

You don't have any say in the costs or where they come from. You don't have any say in the amounts charged, or the decisions made. There is literally no limit to the amount they can charge you, is there? And you don't have any control over the matter at all?

Suddenly, slavery! They get to slowly (or quickly) kill your parents with incompetence and you're on the hook for the costs.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: June 20, 2012, 12:26:56 pm »

There are so many ways this will go wrong.
:(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:57:54 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: June 20, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »

I think the US government is planning to impose a tax on ellipses and this kind of stuff is only happening because they want to milk Truean for all his worth. *tinfoil hat*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: June 20, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »

Hmm...here's an interesting scenario: what if the parent surrendered custody before the child reached majority age?

I can see two potential unintended consequences if this were to become the norm:

1. People having buttloads of kids (and if giving up custody doesn't break the "filial responsibility chain", then pawning them off on someone else to raise), so they have a social safety net.

2. A lot of hunting/hiking/fishing trips with Dad/Mom when they get old and start to have medical problems, which result in a tragic "accident".  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1918 on: June 20, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »

The article mentioned they cant go after kids that were abandoned for 10 or more of their first 18 years.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: June 20, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »

The article mentioned they cant go after kids that were abandoned for 10 or more of their first 18 years.
Seems kind of arbitrary. So if Mom gives you up at age 9, you're still on the hook for her nursing home costs 40 years later? Fuck that shit.

EDIT: Also, that seems to be merely the Pennsylvania implementation of the statute. I looked up North Carolina's and there's NOTHING about an abandonment exemption.

If any person being of full age, and having sufficient income after reasonably providing for his or her own immediate family shall, without reasonable cause, neglect to maintain and support his or her parent or parents, if such parent or parents be sick or not able to work and have not sufficient means or ability to maintain or support themselves, such person shall be deemed guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor; upon conviction of a second or subsequent offense such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

If there be more than one person bound under the provisions of the next preceding paragraph to support the same parent or parents, they shall share equitably in the discharge of such duty. (1955, c. 1099; 1969, c. 1045, s. 3; 1993, c. 539, s. 227; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

The NC version appears to at least address splitting the burden, but it's those terms like "sufficient" and "reasonable" that are the crux of the problem. The nursing home might find me feeding my kids pop tarts for breakfast each day and having $50 a month leftover after expenses to be sufficient and reasonable. I would not.

This is actually for some concern to me. My father surrendered full custody to my mother when I was 3. My mother surrendered full custody to her parents when I was 6. FUCK BOTH OF THEM. My father isn't an issue--he's got more money than I do. My mother, however, is an abject failure with numerous health issues. She's currently living rent-free in the house I grew up in, which I technically own and have no legal right to remove her or sell the property until she dies. Like hell I'm paying one dime for her.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:33:46 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 759