Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247237 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1920 on: June 20, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »

I just wouldn't pay. What are they going to do, send me to debtor's prison?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: June 20, 2012, 01:35:17 pm »

Would much prefer the cost be spread out over the entire society but apparently people think that would be stealing or communism, while forcibly deducting a much larger quantity of money from one's bank account at an unexpected point in time and spending it on the welfare of somebody who needs it is... um... capitalistic justice! Yeah that's it.

Um, yes.

Shitty source but it's the best I could do on such short notice.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: June 20, 2012, 01:37:50 pm »

I somehow doubt the taxes are stealing crowd would find this any more acceptable.

Corporations, of course, are only opposed to taxes that harm them, but thats not exactly anti-tax so much as pro-themselves.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: June 20, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »

Um, yes.

Shitty source but it's the best I could do on such short notice.
Firstly, that didn't take place in my state.

Secondly, that happened for private commercial debts, not my parents demanding that I give them money.

Thirdly, two nights in holding does not equal debtor's prison. Sensationalist article is sensationalist.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: June 20, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »

Secondly, that happened for private commercial debts, not my parents demanding that I give them money.

Actually, this is a private commercial debt. This isn't your parents demanding you give them money - your parents having nothing to do with it. This is a judgement saying that their private commercial debt is, in fact, your private commercial debt. That's why it is bad.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1925 on: June 20, 2012, 01:51:28 pm »

And contempt of court can result in indefinite imprisonment if they put it before a properly bribed judge.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: June 20, 2012, 02:08:30 pm »

I keep saying, find out what you need to do to become a lawyer in Ontario, and DO IT. >:I Or Quebec, even.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: June 21, 2012, 07:57:03 am »

So the HRC did a neat study with LGBT youth (PDF, you have been warned) that has some interesting info. But man did their graphic designer have fun with it. It's almost all wasted space.
e: Turkey is trying to get into the EU. At this rate, I don't think it'll get in for a long time.

Combining those i give you a report about LGBT people in turkey that is way more readable. And here you have one quote out of it:

Quote from: Aliye Kavaf, Minister of State responsible for Women and the Family, 2010
“I believe homosexuality is a biological disorder, an illness and should be treated”
Take notice _who_ is saying that.

and another one:

“In any case you are gay, you are open to rape”
LGBT rights activists in Eskişehir recount statement by a police officer following the reporting of an alleged rape of a gay man –
one of a number against gay men and transgender women in the city
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:21 am »

Wait... so they're saying gay men in the military are "open to rape" by... other men in their military?  They don't see the utter insanity of saying it's wrong for men to sleep with men, but somehow it's ok for men to rape other men?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:53 am »

I recall hearing something before about a cultural attitude in Turkey that there are only certain situations in which something "counts" as gay or not.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: June 21, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

Apparently it's not gay if you're the top.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:47 pm »

State Prosecutors in Illinois refusing to defend the State's anti gay laws.

Not 10 years ago in 2003, sodomy was a felony in some states.... That is, when I was in high school and college, my having sex, at all, was a crime punishable by prison.

Allow me to explain: those prosecutors can be fired for this, for cause. Moreover, this is the worst economy to be looking for a legal based job ever.... One of the main reasons I dismiss most people who claim to be for gay rights as lip service is that their actions are entirely and absolutely at odds with their words. These attorneys are risking their entire careers by refusing to defend this mockery, this mob rule, masquerading as law and demanding silence rather than justice. If appointed or elected, the public backlash on them could be severe.

How can people claim to want immortality when they have only a shifting string of adjectives fading in and out from in front of their names and meaning nothing? There's nothing to preserve for a second, much less for all time.... Simply most people won't even inconvenience themselves in any minor way for this or any other reason, much less risk their careers.....

Of course, it does send quite a message when this ... simply and nothing but this ... risks your entire career. Doesn't it?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:13:54 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: June 21, 2012, 02:24:37 pm »

I think hell froze over and some souls must've escaped in a leak or something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: June 21, 2012, 02:25:19 pm »

I'm going to have to play Devil's advocate on this...the legal system doesn't require an attorney to believe in what they're arguing. You're a defense attorney, you know this better than most. If you're assigned a case as a public defender, you can't just walk in and say, "You know what? My client is totally guilty and an asshole and I'm not going to defend him."

Like it or not, lawyers are paid to argue the interests of their clients, even if they utterly disagree with those interests. In this case, the interests of the state of Illinois is to defend its laws until such time as they have been invalidated by a court of law.

By the same token, if a US District Attorney refused to prosecute a case of anti-LGBT discrimination because they didn't "believe" such people should have those protections....it's the same principle.

I applaud that the personal morality of these two, but I also recognize that this sets bad precedent. I think they'd be better served taking the case and just making a very lacksadaisical defense of the measure.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:46:15 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: June 21, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »

I applaud that the persona morality of these two, but I also recognize that this sets bad precedent. I think they'd be better served taking the case and just making a very lacksadaisical defense of the measure.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe willfully lackadaisical defense is still ground for getting disbarred.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 759