Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247556 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1966 on: June 23, 2012, 10:51:19 pm »

That uploader. Sigh, that uploader.

My favourite scene from Good Will Hunting and pertinent to the principles of liberty in its condemnation of killing people abroad who have done no harm to you personally. Taken to it's logical conclusion this belief should lead anybody who holds it to a pure libertarian position; though most won't, of course.

I've got to ask my dad if he's seen this movie.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 24, 2012, 03:46:00 am »

So, the States don't need any reasons to spy on you as long as one of the parties is believed to be outside of the US? Dafuq! Well, I'm outside of the US, so this thread must be under government surveillance. Let's say hello to that lucky intern at the NSA that got to monitor us rather than monitoring 4chan.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 24, 2012, 03:51:25 am »

Yeah, it's a lot easier to fit in here without arousing suspicion.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 24, 2012, 03:59:37 am »

If I'm decoding the doublespeak right: "It would violate your privacy if we said we spied on you."

Translation: "Aside from the obvious that we don't wanna get caught etc, it would expose you as a public curiousity if we told people we spied on you....The actual fact that we spied on you is a thing that should remain private for your sake...."

I.... It just.... ???

See, Big Brother does care about you!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:02:27 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1970 on: June 24, 2012, 08:15:53 am »

See, Big Brother does care about you!

BIG BROTHER ALWAYS CARES

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 24, 2012, 08:17:03 am »

Am I the only one who think that if the US was a Dwarf Fortress, I'd just flood it with magma and start over? It's just so much of a mess that I wouldn't know where to start to fix it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:47 am »

I'd let it devolve into a tantrum spiral first.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 24, 2012, 10:39:48 am »

Am I the only one who think that if the US was a Dwarf Fortress, I'd just flood it with magma and start over? It's just so much of a mess that I wouldn't know where to start to fix it.
No, no... it'd be pretty easy to start towards fixin'. Just death chamber the nobles and the brokers, then assign people that actually have appropriate skills into management positions instead of  whoever has the higher liar skill. There'd still be problems, but much more manageable ones.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1974 on: June 24, 2012, 10:40:16 am »

No, no... it'd be pretty easy to start towards fixin'. Just death chamber the nobles and the brokers, then assign people that actually have appropriate skills into management positions instead of  whoever has the higher liar skill. There'd still be problems, but much more manageable ones.
Basically, do a Norway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 24, 2012, 03:07:10 pm »

Don't you mean Iceland?
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 24, 2012, 03:09:27 pm »

Pull out the guillotines; it's mass murder time.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 25, 2012, 10:37:22 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/supreme-court-upholds-key-part-arizona-immigration-law-141927514.html

The title is bullshit but yes. The overwhelming majority of the law got struck down, because separation of powers, and you can see the spin doctors are already trying to swing it as a conservative victory.

You lost 95% of your law, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but this counts as a win...? Sure, why not....

So now basically police can ask about your immigration status, but even SCOTUS recognizes that this will lead to more lawsuits as police may perform said askings illegally. The question will be, what must you do to prove your citizenship or status? Do you have to carry your god damn papers with you at all times or something? You know damn good and well that if you're even a bit too tan the police are going to start sniffing around, and if you're actually Hispanic, well....:( This kinda sucks a bit but meh, what're you gonna do about it [sigh].
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

http://news.yahoo.com/wikileaks-founder-wants-guarantee-wont-sent-us-032238148.html

The truth will set you free, unless of course it's a truth the government doesn't want told, in which case screw you. See, the government is entitled to privacy enforced by the court, you and I just aren't. Why, because they stamp everything "classified," especially things that really shouldn't be classified. They need a conveyor belt and a mechanical stamp to just do it easier. This guy didn't reveal troop movements or anything. He just told it like it was and nobody got hurt or killed. Isn't everybody calling for government transparency and accountability these days and complaining how their money is being wasted (especially the right wing)? Well he gave us exactly what we asked for.... Read the comments though, there are people calling for his death by firing squad for treason. He isn't even an American citizen, so how can he be guilty of treason to a country he owes no loyalty to?

The truth will set you free? Is that why they tell you, "you have the right to remain silent?"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:04:35 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 25, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »

The truth will set you free? Is that why they tell you, "you have the right to remain silent?"
Speaking of dealing with the police.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 25, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »

...Dude. I'm completely with the police on that one. If a policeman aren't allowed to check up on you when your carrying of a gun makes people scared, then something is wrong with your laws.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 759