Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246958 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2055 on: June 27, 2012, 12:10:24 am »

They didn't uphold the worst of the law, and that's definitely something. We all know that it's far from impossible for them to have let it stand, and they didn't. It isn't perfect by any means, but I think it's a victory all the same.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 27, 2012, 04:55:03 am »

Agree with Leafsnail about the "road to hell" saying and have a couple of examples from my view of its meaning. Often, it's good intentioned but with ignorance of the true effects of the actions you're doing.

#1 = prohibition: almost the definition of "well intentioned" action which blew up completely into "hellish" conditions, banning stuff has all sorts of unintended consequences: corruption, crime, gangs, murder, black market, unregulated products, disease epidemics.

#2 = welfare: it has been argued that specifics of welfare allocations has caused more families to break up since a single mother and the father leaving can get more welfare than if they "stick together", as well as fostering dependency issues.

#3 = public advocacy campaigns: often due to human psychology, the effects of a campaign may be totally opposite of the desired effect. I heard about a campaign which basically said "everyone's been stealing X, please don't steal X too" actually caused MORE people to steal 'X', since people seemed to rationalize that "if everyone is doing it, it won't matter if I do too.", they later changed the adverts to show a lone person stealing and some other people looking on disapprovingly, these new adverts had the desired effect. (it was actually a campaign to stop people stealing petrified wood fossils from a national park in Canada).

Interestingly the advert in #3, which backfired, was a lot like the Reagan Era's "just say no" campaign against drugs, which basically told kids "everyone else is doing drugs, but you can 'say no' ".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:58:10 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 27, 2012, 07:47:41 am »

I believe another phrase that encapsulates the same idea as "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" is "the law of unintended consequences".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2058 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:23 am »

Federal Government, "Unless he or she committed a serious crime or is a repeat border crosser, we don't give a damn." [hangs up phone]

I see some "serious crimes" being magicked into existence... one way or another.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:06 am »

Federal Government, "Unless he or she committed a serious crime or is a repeat border crosser, we don't give a damn." [hangs up phone]

I see some "serious crimes" being magicked into existence... one way or another.
The people who actually do things in the federal government care much less about illegal immigration than you might think. Outside of the Department of Homeland Security, it isn't a relevant issue.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 27, 2012, 11:59:54 am »

The Texas Republican Party platform is officially against Critical Thinking.

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

I would question how anybody in their right mind could openly say they're against developing critical thinking skills, but I may just be looking at things from a view tainted by critical thinking.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 27, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »

Oh man, challenging beliefs and undermining established authorities. Can't have that. Nope, all children must remain obedient slaves to their parents and what their parents believe.

It's almost as stupid as anti-vaccers.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »

This one's older than radio, actually. Socrates was killed for "corrupting the youth of Athens." Think about that one for a bit....

They don't want you questioning, or exposing kids to anything other than what the parents want. The parent loves this idea, because then they are the final and total authority on everything, despite being simply, objectively wrong. There are people who want to believe that the earth is the center of the universe and that the whole thing is only about 6 thousand years old with dinosaurs walking around with people (See, creationist museums). Fossil evidence, carbon dating? Whatever man, 6 thousand years and no older..... And how dare you teach their kids anything else in school.

[sigh]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »

Makes for a great slogan though:

"The Texas Republican Party: Keeping Texas free of thinking since...uhhhh....ummm...."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:21 pm »

IDE/Theory: Bikini Bottom is located in the underwater Texas of the future.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2065 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:01 pm »

Oh man, challenging beliefs and undermining established authorities. Can't have that. Nope, all children must remain obedient slaves to their parents and what their parents believe.

It's almost as stupid as anti-vaccers.

Almost?

If the anti-vaccers win and eliminate all vaccines, they will only be responsible for crippling and killing millions of innocent children.

If these guys win and eliminate all critical thought, it is the end of western civilization and all technological and social progress it has brought. It dooms the human race to extinction the next time a global critical event occurs.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:07 pm »

Well, let's keep things in perspective. They're only killing critical thought in Texas. Where it was already an endangered species.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 27, 2012, 05:21:39 pm »

Well, let's keep things in perspective. They're only killing critical thought in Texas. Where it was already an endangered species cryptozoological myth.
Fixed for the even more uncharitable.

Being fair, there are some people stuck in that state due to jobs or whatever that's capable of critical thought, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »

Aqizzar and Janet are mad at you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 27, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »

In my case I don't even identify as a Texan or an American. I'm getting my ass out of here as soon as I can learn german well and we get everything in order.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 759