Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247658 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:24 pm »

I watched it in time.  Why would you "show it again without the filter" and then censor it anyway??  Argh.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2101 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:38 pm »

Welcome to America. Don't look the crazies in the eye, they'll start preaching Jesus if you do.
But... there are several quotes in the Bible that are at least arguably actually against homosexuality!  Why would you pick a completely irrelevant one?

take "You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestable."

Remember at the time Women were basically property, almost like cattle.

So maybe what it really means is that when you 'lay' with men, you should treat them with respect, as a fellow man; and not just use them, like with a woman/sheep.

Also, how should Women read that command?, Are women banned from having sex with men, or at least not like they lay with women?, does that mean the bible specifically OKs lesbians?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: June 28, 2012, 05:42:48 pm »

Also, how should Women read that command?, Are women banned from having sex with men, or at least not like they lay with women?, does that mean the bible specifically OKs lesbians?
Strangely enough, go down the first column on this chart and look at the abnormally high number of "Male illegal, Female legal" nations.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:21 pm »

Welcome to America. Don't look the crazies in the eye, they'll start preaching Jesus if you do.
But... there are several quotes in the Bible that are at least arguably actually against homosexuality!  Why would you pick a completely irrelevant one?

take "You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestable."

Remember at the time Women were basically property, almost like cattle.

So maybe what it really means is that when you 'lay' with men, you should treat them with respect, as a fellow man; and not just use them, like with a woman/sheep.

Uh, far simpler explanation: Women were property in the bible. They pretty much didn't matter, and if you were a girl it was an extra special bad sin not to obey your father or husband. Really, the whole book is gender biased from Eve right on down.

As for why he tried to use that quote, cause it was said by Jesus, who you know, seems to be a big deal and people know him or something. I guess it just holds more weight. Fact is, he didn't say anything about it, but truth doesn't seem to stop the particularly crazy ones. The guy quoted here is actually talking about laying down his life for his friends, which has nothing to do with anything in this context, but then expecting a fundie to make sense just ... is a waste most of the time.

At the end of the day, this was somebody who was pissed off over any support of homosexuality. And, you know what's sad? A few years ago, that kinda thing would've worked. It would've massively worked. Opposing a company for supporting gay rights 10 or 20 years ago (and especially further back) would've been a totally legit strategy and very, very effective. These people are at a total loss as to what to do now that this old trick isn't an automatic win. It used to be all you had to say was "Gay? Ewww." That was the end of pretty much anything that had to do with gay rights getting any serious support until very recent times.  With several people today, it's still all they need to 86 something. The notion that gays fit somewhere, anywhere into a family and [fake gasp] a family with children... is unthinkable to many in the US today. That's part of the reason why all the anti gay groups are "family" or "traditional marriage" groups. My response if only I could say it, "You don't wanna talk to your kid about it? So your solution is for me to alter my entire life because you can't have a conversation with your brat? Yeah, well I don't wanna live in a world where I have to explain to anyone not to wear socks with sandals but here you are...." :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 29, 2012, 08:39:53 am »

Another one is that people were homophobic in the past but that's no reason to be homophobic today.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 29, 2012, 10:12:02 am »

Strangely enough, go down the first column on this chart and look at the abnormally high number of "Male illegal, Female legal" nations.
Well, duh. Even most straight men find lesbians HAWT.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:09 pm »

Meanwhile, in Texas: http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/06/texas_gops_2012_platform_accidentally_opposes_teaching_of_critical_thinking_skills.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
How the fuck is that an accident.

The accidental part was how they didn't think of how any sane person would react before they got stuck with it until 2014....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: June 29, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »

On Homosexuality:

We affirm that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society and contributes to the breakdown of the family unit. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle, in public policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction or belief in traditional values.
>_>;

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: June 29, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

Why are Texans so obsessed about other peoples sex-lives?  They should be less nosy and worry about their own genitals!  :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:33:53 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: June 29, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »

Because FAMILY VALUES and UR DIFFERENT SO I DUN LIKE U.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: June 29, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »

Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction or belief in traditional values.
>_>;
So basically, for any reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: June 29, 2012, 06:37:08 pm »

That particular line is rather stupid since it's not saying anything, really. Civil or criminal penalties would come from hate crimes/etc, not simply "opposing homosexuality." No one but the thought police is saying they have to like it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 759