Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244346 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2205 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »

I can't generally tell.  Usually its not what I'm thinking about when I see someone though.  The only times I've been able to guess is when I'm being hit on, and sometimes not even then.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: July 09, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was meh with Anderson Cooper because everyone already knew.
My mum didn't.
She knew. All the women of America knew. They've been in collective denial.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 09, 2012, 02:45:26 pm »

She's Canadian. Well, by citizenship.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 09, 2012, 02:54:03 pm »

You're telling me you didn't think this guy was gay?

Also any time he's ever laughed ever.
I thought he was metrosexual!
DONT JUDGE ME

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 09, 2012, 03:22:32 pm »

In this thread of all places I would have thought the idea that someone could "look like they were gay" or at least fall into an easy to classify crude stereotype would be something people were above or at least would steer clear of. Or maybe it is me who is missing the point... if so, I do apologise.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: July 09, 2012, 03:41:59 pm »

I'd write of the idea of a gay appearance as stereotyping as well, but I can't because....well....it's there. I can see it. Lots of people can see it. Plenty of people believed that Anderson Cooper was gay before he admitted it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »

For any given celebrity there sure are some/a lot of people who think she/he is gay. Also biased memory (conformation bias).
Edit: And see spotlight fallacy if you want an explanation for why there is a gay stereotype and people think it actually is true.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:08:15 pm by lorb »
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »

I have nothing resembling a "gaydar" so... I dunno. I guess it would be silly and rude to guess based on intuition.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: July 10, 2012, 12:39:15 am »

And then you have my 2-year old son, who likes to have his hair tied up in a topknot, pushes dolls around in a stroller and gives his best friends at daycare a goodbye hug and kiss...including other boys. The teachers always have a nervous laugh and say things like, "Oh he's so...nurturing!"

Yeah, you totally think my kid is going to be gay. Frankly, could care less. Gender identity is completely unfixed at this age, and I'm glad he's not overly aggressive and physical. It's a nice balance for all those other times when he's pretending to be a dinosaur or what have you, and wreaking utter havoc.

I don't know how to tell you this, but I think your son might be...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:20 am »

To be fair, in AC's case he was living as an openly gay man in his personal life and simply refused to ever say anything about it publicly. He was named as the second most powerful gay person in the US back in 2007 by Out magazine.

It was less how he looked and acted and just how the fact that he was gay was an open secret already.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:01 am »

True. Lots of people already knew....

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-mayor-cuts-city-workers-pay-minimum-wage-113312907.html

So the mayor cuts the police, fire, and in fact all city worker's pay to minimum wage... in violation of a court order. Enjoy being in contempt of court Mr. Mayor. Really, people think it's a good idea to pay police minimum wage? Same with firefighters? Really?

"It's the only way until the city's finances get in order?"

Ok so what happens when your police, fire and every other city employee goes on strike, because they are literally making less than fast food workers in many cases?

Taxes? I know that's a bad word nowadays, but .... You could tax somebody if you're really that desperate...
Or, you know municipal bonds.... You can borrow the money at incredibly low interest rates that investors love because it's tax free. You then use that time to figure out what you need to do and find ways to generate revenue. Yes, that would probably mean some taxes, fees, fines, etc, but if the city really is going under, then....

Also, hire a financial planner. Really. I know people have this stupid idea about democracy, but then you're really only being ruled by the popular. The captain of the football team is not going to get you out of a $16.8 Million dollar deficit. I'd really think somebody who works with numbers and business would be the guy to call in that situation....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2216 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:39 am »

I was about to post that article...

Truean beat me to it.

By the way, this isn't a republican who signed the Norquist pledge, he is a democrat.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:37 am »

I was about to post that article...

Truean beat me to it.

By the way, this isn't a republican who signed the Norquist pledge, he is a democrat.

Unfortunately the evil behind that stupid pledge is that people are completely adverse to any taxes, even the bare minimum required to support the country they say they love. I've an idea. The government forcibly takes over all rights to sell patriotic themed goods and thus when people buy those little yellow "support our troops" ribbons, the money actually goes to the government and thus the troops. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:32:36 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: July 12, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »

Some good news in the marriage amendment fight in Minnesota.  A group of former catholic priests got almost 100 of them to work for the people working against the amendment.  News article.

The churches who are against the marriage amendment are the Lutherans, the Methodists (bucking the international church's stance on the issue), and perhaps a few others.

I have to say, I am happy with my former church (Methodist) doing what's right and standing up to the bigots.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:48 am »

This... this makes me sad.  Read the text at the bottom.

I'm HIV negative and the last dude I "slept" with was straight.  But because my virginity could be called into question, the FDA could argue that I have no right to give blood.  ._.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 759