Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247090 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2760 on: September 02, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

ron paul is not a libertarian championing for personal liberty. he is an anti-federalist seeking to empower the states in oppressing individuals.

What the we the people act does is prevent the us supreme court from defending the constitutional rights of citizens when a state chooses to infringe on them. But only in such a way that it champions the conservative agenda of enforcing religious mandates and abolishing abortion one state at a time.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: September 02, 2012, 07:47:46 pm »

Protip: Work on using more details. Speaking in generalities makes you come off as slightly insane.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:09 pm »

Protip: Work on using more details. Speaking in generalities makes you come off as slightly insane.

On the contrary, I find anyone who would defend Ron Paul as anything other conservative christian theocrat who believes in pillage and burn economics and is willing to abuse or tear down the federal government to get it is slightly insane.

On DOMA: section 3 specifies that same sex marriage and civil unions are not recognized for any federal purpose, including military spousal benefits and social security survivors benefits and tax returns. Its not just about protecting anti-gay marriage states from being forced to recognize gay marriage and civil unions, it prohibits the us federal government from recognizing gay marriages and civil unions.

It explicitly uses the authority of the federal government, a violation of his anti-federalist position (but its ok because its used against the scary gays) to strip rights and entitlements from people, even when those rights and entitlements are being recognized and protected by states. It protects the "States rights" of states that are banning gay marriage and civil unions, but violating "states rights" for states allowing gay marriage and civil unions.

the WTPA explicitly enables states to enact laws that infringe on privacy, religious and gender issues without challenge or rebuke by the supreme court. If it was passed, it would mean that Utah could pass a law that only Mormons could hold office, or Michigan could make practicing Islam a crime punishable by death. The supreme court of the US is the last line of defense against the passage of unjust law. And the WTPA is designed to break that last line of defense against religious and gender/orientation oppression at the state level. It is basically Ron Paul trying to worm his way around the 14th amendment and the incorporation doctrine, but only for the specific ways that he wants states to be able to oppress people rights. This law really is that bad.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: September 02, 2012, 08:42:21 pm »

On the contrary, I find anyone who would defend Ron Paul as anything other conservative christian theocrat who believes in pillage and burn economics and is willing to abuse or tear down the federal government to get it is slightly insane.

On DOMA: section 3 specifies that same sex marriage and civil unions are not recognized for any federal purpose, including military spousal benefits and social security survivors benefits and tax returns. Its not just about protecting anti-gay marriage states from being forced to recognize gay marriage and civil unions, it prohibits the us federal government from recognizing gay marriages and civil unions.

It explicitly uses the authority of the federal government, a violation of his anti-federalist position (but its ok because its used against the scary gays) to strip rights and entitlements from people, even when those rights and entitlements are being recognized and protected by states. It protects the "States rights" of states that are banning gay marriage and civil unions, but violating "states rights" for states allowing gay marriage and civil unions.

the WTPA explicitly enables states to enact laws that infringe on privacy, religious and gender issues without challenge or rebuke by the supreme court. If it was passed, it would mean that Utah could pass a law that only Mormons could hold office, or Michigan could make practicing Islam a crime punishable by death. The supreme court of the US is the last line of defense against the passage of unjust law. And the WTPA is designed to break that last line of defense against religious and gender/orientation oppression at the state level. It is basically Ron Paul trying to worm his way around the 14th amendment and the incorporation doctrine, but only for the specific ways that he wants states to be able to oppress people rights. This law really is that bad.

I wasn't disagreeing with him. At all. It's just that sometimes it's hard to state an argument convincingly, which you, as a lawyer, have no problems with.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:50 pm »

Im not the lawyer

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51:25 pm »

Im not the lawyer

)_). I could have sworn truean made that last post. Whoops. Teach me not to look at the poster when replying. So, uh, redirect all comments to you, I guess?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: September 02, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »

It's the avatar. It looks like Trueans cat.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: September 02, 2012, 09:10:19 pm »

Im not the lawyer

)_). I could have sworn truean made that last post. Whoops. Teach me not to look at the poster when replying. So, uh, redirect all comments to you, I guess?

I do tend to er on the side of brevity (which is not something that can generally be said for Truean), so the original  tip "Work on using more details." isn't really that far off.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: September 02, 2012, 09:14:28 pm »

It's not that you are wrong, per se, it's that being brief can lead to distrust when the other guy is willing to blather on for half an hour about how "Abortion is murder". THe herd listens to the loudest, after all.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: September 02, 2012, 09:26:09 pm »

Yes I'm wordy and I charge by the hour. :P Lol. Actually no. In real life I hardly say anything by comparison. Here I'm trying to talk though. Here I also throw in some stylistic elements as well. It's a crazy thing, words, somehow you can have two different people say the exact same thing to different people and not get the same message across.

It's about what you say, how you say it, who you say it to, and why you say it, rather than how long you take to say it.

Fine line between too much detail and not enough. When you're trying to stoke a thread from the second page of a message board though.... :)

Scarf, tentacles, tentacles, scarf. Close enough around here. :P [hug]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: September 02, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »

Yay, unsolicited hugs! Those are the best kind... After parcheesi and naked hugs.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »

I never noticed that before, but it is so obvious now...
Soaplent green is goblins!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:41 pm »

Man, I dunno, maybe I'm just too much of a seasoned burnt out vet for this, but I've seen and fought a decent chunk of the world close by and far away. I can't comprehend how the notion of the libertarian ideal of just letting anybody do whatever they want for the most part is supposed to work. Forget that being called anarchy, look at a school playground. The rest of you halfway decent people don't stand a chance against the brutes, the bastards, the bullies without some rules to keep things going. I dunno, to me libertarianism and Paul's ideas just have their head firmly planted in the sand concerning counter corruption measures, which the market will not provide and will in fact discourage. Jaded? Yes. I WANT to believe it, but I don't. Ignoring corruption is like trying to carry on your day with a sociopath pointing a gun at you whenever no one else is looking and imagining it'll be ok.

I should probably clarify that I'm not a Libertarian, nor ascribe to the pseudo-anarchy and anachronistic "Constitutional Originalism" many propose. I was just glad to see that someone stepped into the political arena, and made the deep-rooted problems in our system their focus for a change. The system is sick, and no one wants to diagnose it, or talk about how to fix it... they'd rather blather on about whether or not contraception is murder, or argue how a family of two guys raising an adopted child is not deserving of the same social benefits as a man and a woman raising one... all the while fighting in the popularity contest that is Politics, which they're forced to participate in to preserve their source of income. Those "debates" are crap any sane person could cut with a few minutes of thought, but the more airtime we give "issues" such as these, the more legitimate they seem... and while those preaching them as a political platform are busy playing at their Popularity Contest, the sickness rages on.

Griping about what's wrong or corrupt in the system is all good and fine- vital in fact- but it does nothing if one doesn't have the gumption to address the underlying problems. Do I think Ron Paul was the man with all the answers? Nope, but at least he had the presence of mind to point out the problem for a change.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:36:54 pm by Solifuge »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:39 pm »

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/01/13612739-romney-ryan-vow-not-to-cut-military-budget?lite
Romney and Ryan have promised they will not cut military spending. Yeaaahh. So they aren't raising taxes and they aren't cutting military spending.

I hope they plan on spending money on infrastructure, as there won't be enough bridges to sleep under when they finish cutting everything else in some insane plan to cut deficits.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:42 am »

Goldman Sachs steals billions, is taken to court over it, and despite ridiculous amounts of proof, is let go.

Trillions of dollars were "bailed out" to banks worldwide right out of under the Fed's noses.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 759