Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247776 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2880 on: September 16, 2012, 08:44:19 am »

My understanding is that only a jury is capable of sentencing someone to death, not a judge. In death penalty cases, first the jury determines guilt, and if found guilty if they should be executed. Both decisions have to be unanimous. Unfortunately, the law requires that all jurors in death penalty cases legally affirm a willingness to sentence someone to death before they are allowed onto the jury, so getting that unanimous vote isn't very hard.
Crap, yeah, was still operating under the basis that the judge is in charge of sentencing.

I'd guess that the jury should have been informed of the mitigating factors only after the initial guilty/innocent decision was made to prevent that information prejudicing the initial decision, but I'm also contaminated by the British system that has a far more protective view of the jury and what they can and can't know, so may be bringing some of that into this. Either way they should have known before sentencing. Still seems like a hard thing to correct on appeal though.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: September 17, 2012, 07:28:00 am »

That's one of the prime reasons that the death penalty is almost certainly on its way out in the US. The courts have tried their hardest to balance and objectify it since it was re-instated, and have failed miserably. Quantifiers and stipulations have been piled onto the death penalty so much that it is an entirely different kind of trial from every other criminal trial now, and it still doesn't get enforced well. I'm sure Truean could tell us much more on that, though I don't think she's ever mentioned defending in a death penalty case. Eventually the courts are just going to start ruling that the system had its chance and demonstrated that it cannot handle the death penalty in a constitutional manner at all.
Jesus Christ I hope not, Europe doesn't have Mexico.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:53 am »

First of all, we have Belgium, which is like thirteen Mexicos, and secondly, what? Are you saying that if you don't have death penalties, then... Mexicans?
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:32 am »

No death penalty = MEXICANS EVERYWHERE
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:59 am »

First of all, we have Belgium, which is like thirteen Mexicos, and secondly, what? Are you saying that if you don't have death penalties, then... Mexicans?
Wait, what? Belgium has giant drug cartels that kidnap people and perform bodily flaying and chainsaw decapitations? I just support the death penalty because there are some people which are lost causes and have to be put down.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: September 17, 2012, 07:55:10 am »

It's cheaper (and arguably more humane) to imprison the "lost causes" for life rather than killing them. Plus it avoids the whole hypocrisy thing.

And honestly there aren't that many Hannibal Lecters in the world. Certainly not as many as we kill.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: September 17, 2012, 07:58:14 am »

It's cheaper (and arguably more humane) to imprison the "lost causes" for life rather than killing them. Plus it avoids the whole hypocrisy thing.

And honestly there aren't that many Hannibal Lecters in the world. Certainly not as many as we kill.
Huh. China just kills their citizens and bills the family for the bullet. Considering their western provinces and their eagerness to remove kebab, I can see why.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:47 am »

Wait, what? Belgium has giant drug cartels that kidnap people and perform bodily flaying and chainsaw decapitations? I just support the death penalty because there are some people which are lost causes and have to be put down.

Ask Darvi. He doesn't live there.

Also. What does insanely twisted Mexican criminals have to do with US punishments? You think a lot of those murders happen on US soil?

Huh. China just kills their citizens and bills the family for the bullet. Considering their western provinces and their eagerness to remove kebab, I can see why.

Once again, how is this related?
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:29 am »

Italy is the non sequitur capital of the world.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: September 17, 2012, 08:26:44 am »

Even if I did, I don't pay attention to the news anyway, so I wouldn't know :V

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:51 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:07 am »

Also. What does insanely twisted Mexican criminals have to do with US punishments? You think a lot of those murders happen on US soil?

It leaks over.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: September 17, 2012, 10:56:07 am »

The vast majority of crime "leaking over" from latin america to the US can be blamed on the drug war. If you're concerned about that, then the death penalty is one of the last things you should be advocating to fix it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:48 am »

Guys, I don't think you've understood his argument.  I'll lay it out for you.

- Europe doesn't have Mexico.
- China kills their citizens and bills the family for the bullet due to the behaviour of their western provinces.
- Mexico leaks over.

Therefore death penalty.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: September 17, 2012, 11:06:16 am »

Well, I'm glad we got that sorted out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 759