Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247693 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2895 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:19 am »

Guys, I don't think you've understood his argument.  I'll lay it out for you.

- Europe doesn't have Mexico.
- China kills their citizens and bills the family for the bullet due to the behaviour of their western provinces.
- Mexico leaks over.

Therefore death penalty.
Can't argue with that.

No, seriously....you can't. It's like trying to julienne Jello.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: September 17, 2012, 11:34:14 am »

- China kills their citizens and bills the family for the bullet due to the behaviour of their western provinces.
- Mexico leaks over.

Therefore death penalty.

Is this supposed to make sense?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: September 17, 2012, 11:34:39 am »

Nope!

That's the joke! :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: September 17, 2012, 11:36:27 am »

- Mexico leaks over.

Therefore death penalty.

Is this supposed to make sense?
Look man, I don't know how else we can put this to you.

Mexico leaks over. China has to bill people for executions of the western province. Europe doesn't have a Mexico. We need to kill people or there will be total anarchy!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:49 am »

Also, something about kebabs.
Mmmmm....羊肉串

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: September 17, 2012, 12:23:06 pm »

I believe he intends something along the lines of this. Correct me if I'm wrong, MrHappyface.

The US has a lot of unique problems that necessitate the death penalty, such as crime coming from the drug trade with Mexico. Europe doesn't have anything that's equivalent to our Mexico problem so they wouldn't have the same perspective as us. And considering how blunt China is about executing their citizens, it's ridiculous that people over here get so bothered over our death penalty, which is far more humane.

The ridiculing ends now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: September 17, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

I got that, but you can't just come on Bay 12 and give your argument in a format that incoherent.

It's also completely irrelevant. The 40 or so Americans executed every year are firstly not Mexican drug traffickers and secondly are so few that even if they were all Cartel kingpins their deaths still wouldn't crash the Cartels.

And not being as bad as China isn't hard.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »

Also MetalSlimeHunt's argument made no reference to Europe at all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: September 17, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »

I'd like to know if anyone has one single reference to a Mexican drug cartel person executed in the USA. I can't recall any.

I think the China reference was about how affordable it is in China, as opposed to the "too expensive" American model with trials and appeals. And he's blaming China's repressive totalitarianism on uppity Muslims in the west.

He's advocating the knock-on-the-door bullet-in-the-head model of summary justice they used in the Soviet Union in the 1920's.

And don't those Chinese authorities always "get it right":

Wrongful executions

At least four people have been considered wrongfully executed by PRC courts.

Wei Qingan (Chinese: 魏清安, ?-1984, 23 years old) was a Chinese citizen who was executed for the rape of Liu, a woman who had disappeared. The execution was carried out on 3 May 1984 by the Intermediate People's court. In the next month, Tian Yuxiu (田玉修) was arrested and admitted that he had committed the rape. Three years later, Wei was officially declared innocent.[25]

Teng Xingshan (Chinese: 滕兴善, ?-1989) was a Chinese citizen who was executed for supposedly having raped, robbed and murdered Shi Xiaorong (石小荣), a woman who had disappeared. An old man found a dismembered body, and incompetent police forensics claimed to have matched the body to the photo of the missing Shi Xiaorong. The execution was carried out on 28 January 1989 by the Huaihua Intermediate People's court. In 1993, the previously missing woman returned to the villiage, saying she had been kidnapped to Shandong. The absolute innocence of the wrongfully executed Teng was not admitted until 2005.[26]

Nie Shubin (Chinese: 聂树斌, 1974-1995) was a Chinese citizen who was executed for the rape and murder of Kang Juhua (康菊花), a woman in her thirties. The execution was carried out on April 27, 1995 by the Shijiazhuang Intermediate People's court. In 2005, ten years after the execution, Wang Shujin (Chinese: 王书金) admitted to the police that, in fact, he had committed the murder.[27]

Qoγsiletu (Chinese: 呼格吉勒图, 1977-1996) was an Inner Mongolian who was executed for the rape and murder of a young girl on June 10, 1996. On December 5, 2006, ten years after the execution, Zhao Zhihong (Chinese: 赵志红) wrote the Petition of my Death Penalty admitting that, in fact, he had committed the crime.[citation needed]

4 that we know about ... Considering the quick'n'easy executions in China, and the error rate in the USA even with lengthy appeals and trials, you'd have to assume China makes a lot more mistakes. Hell, the number of executions is a state secret there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:04:12 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »

Yeah, and there's an increasing pushback from Chinese popular opinion regarding the death penalty, precisely because of several high-profile instances of wrongful (or at the very least, questionable) executions. Not that they're ready to shelve it or anything, just maybe...y'know...judicial oversight. Like local courts not being able to issue a death sentence, or that any case where a death sentence was issued would automatically go up to a provincial- or even national-level court for review.

As we've established numerous times in discussions here, local officials are the bane of good governance in China.  :-\

As to the Mexican thing...yeah, I don't get the argument. Unless it's a general "Mexicans are bad, m'kay?" sort of thing. And if you're arguing it's needed because 'those damn immgrants rapin' errybody up in here and stealing our stuff', then it ignores how most of Western Europe regards groups like the Turks, the Polish and the Roma. And they have a completely porous border by design.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

I got that, but you can't just come on Bay 12 and give your argument in a format that incoherent.

There's only so much ridiculing that needs to be done. I think I cut it off before it got old.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:38 pm »

Yeah, and there's an increasing pushback from Chinese popular opinion regarding the death penalty, precisely because of several high-profile instances of wrongful (or at the very least, questionable) executions. Not that they're ready to shelve it or anything, just maybe...y'know...judicial oversight. Like local courts not being able to issue a death sentence, or that any case where a death sentence was issued would automatically go up to a provincial- or even national-level court for review.

As we've established numerous times in discussions here, local officials are the bane of good governance in China.  :-\

As to the Mexican thing...yeah, I don't get the argument. Unless it's a general "Mexicans are bad, m'kay?" sort of thing. And if you're arguing it's needed because 'those damn immgrants rapin' errybody up in here and stealing our stuff', then it ignores how most of Western Europe regards groups like the Turks, the Polish and the Roma. And they have a completely porous border by design.

Polish? You are so stuck in ten years ago :P Nowadays it's all about the Balkans. Oh, and don't forget the Africans and the Middle-Easterners. Besides the Turks and the Roma you already mentioned, of course.
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: September 17, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »

Anyone not in the Eurozone, then? :J
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: September 17, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

Anyone not in the Eurozone, then? :J

Yeah basically. Barbarians at the gate !

It kind of depends on the country's history too, I think. Here in France it's mostly the arab maghrebin immigrants, and it's other ethnic groups in, say, the UK, or Germany.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: September 17, 2012, 09:46:58 pm »

Has this made its way through here yet?...

Rape has become endemic in South Africa, so a medical technician named Sonette Ehlers developed a product that immediately gathered national attention there. Ehlers had never forgotten a rape victim telling her forlornly, “If only I had teeth down there.”

Some time afterward, a man came into the hospital where Ehlers works in excruciating pain because his penis was stuck in his pants zipper.

Ehlers merged those images and came up with a product she called Rapex. It resembles a tube, with barbs inside. The woman inserts it like a tampon, with an applicator, and any man who tries to rape the woman impales himself on the barbs and must go to an emergency room to have the Rapex removed.

When critics complained that it was a medieval punishment, Ehlers replied tersely, “A medieval device for a medieval deed.”
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 759