Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247592 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3000 on: September 18, 2012, 05:46:12 pm »

This is just ridiculous strawmanning all over the place.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:04 pm »

Answer the question or admit you can't.

For me this is easy. I would like to see you answer this question. (The worth of life is infinity. If you need hints as to why that may be I'll give them to you if you you give me your definition of "worth" that makes some lives have less worth than others.)
That's not a answer. Infinity what?

Also given infinity, that means that killing is not acceptable under any circumstances ever?

I thought infinity wasn't an actual value? (math nitpicking here)

What about the scores of victims who have committed suicide just shortly after the rape? Or even years afterwards?

This is just ridiculous strawmanning all over the place.

^

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »

Answer the question or admit you can't.

For me this is easy. I would like to see you answer this question. (The worth of life is infinity. If you need hints as to why that may be I'll give them to you if you you give me your definition of "worth" that makes some lives have less worth than others.)

That's not a answer. Infinity what?
Yes it is. What is your answer?

Also given infinity, that means that killing is not acceptable under any circumstances ever?
Yes.

edit:
I thought infinity wasn't an actual value? (math nitpicking here)
Which nicely reflects that you can't (morally) assign an actual value to human life.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:00:04 pm by lorb »
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: September 18, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »

Yes.

So if you had to choose between killing a man or letting 100 die you would just let the hundred die? Does a brain dead coma victim have the same value as a child with their whole life ahead of them?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »

Yes.

So if you had to choose between killing a man or letting 100 die you would just let the hundred die? Does a brain dead coma victim have the same value as a child with their whole life ahead of them?

STOP IT REALMFIGHTER.

I don't like hard questions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:02 pm »

That goes back to an old philosophical question about what is action and inaction.

Premise: you're controlling a track-lever at a rail junction. A runaway train is hurtling down the tracks. Down 1 line is 1 person, down the other line are 10 people.

Scenario 1: if you don't pull the lever, the 10 people will "be killed" by the train. But you can claim you didn't kill anyone. If you do pull the lever, you will have "murdered" 1 person, by deliberately aiming the train at them.

Opinions differ as to whether pulling the lever is the ethical choice, or not.

Scenario 2: The train is hurtling towards 1 person, and if you pull the lever 10 people will die. This one's more clear cut, so let's say the 1 person is your mother? Would you murder 10 random people to stop your mother being killed?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:29:13 pm by Reelya »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3006 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:14 pm »

A rape victim suffers from the trauma of the attack long after it is done.

A murder victim does not.
A dead giveaway, I'm sure. But even if the victim's dead, the damage has already been done. I don't think I can with good conscious say that death is less of a damage than lifelong trauma. At least that you can cope with.

The life of the rape victim may be made into a living nightmare with scars physical and mental that never truly heal.
A murder victim's wounds will never heal.

Rape is a dehumanizing form of torture.
And death is somehow better, how exactly? If you had to make the choice, would you rather be murdered or raped?

You conveniently and dishonestly deleted the conclusion of that argument.

It is not clear which one is the worse crime from the victims perspective.

Are you denying that what could potentially be a lifetime of suffering may be worse than death? Every person who has ever committed suicide would likely disagree with you.

Stabbing someone in the leg does not have a high probability of ending the threat. The most certain way to end a threat is with the most debilitating attack (the most debilitating attacks are also the fatal attacks), and you do not relent in your active defense until the aggressor no longer poses a threat.
The point of self-defense is not to beat the aggressor into a bloody pulp and murder him. You use only enough force so you can make a retreat and call for help. What's important is that the force you use does not exceed the aggressor's, for if you do then you're no better than him.
Remember that there are non-lethal ways to debilitate people long enough to make a retreat.

There is no such thing as a non-lethal attack. A punch to the chest can be fatal, as can a careless shove, a tazer or a bit of pepper spray.

The point of self defense is to stop your aggressor and walk away unharmed or at least less harmed. The single fastest and most effective way to stop an aggressor is to cause trauma to the brain, spinal column, respiratory system or the core of the circulatory system. Anything less puts you at increased risk.

But you know what? this does not matter at all to this discussion. because we a talking about a device that is most likely even less lethal than even a careless shove. And one that is comes into effect after all other forms of self defense have failed.

You are going past the extreme to make an absurd strawman: If the attacker is unconscious, he no longer poses a threat. If the attacker is crippled and you can escape, he is no longer a threat. If the attacker is dead, he is no longer a threat. No one except you and Reelya is saying to keep attacking once your attacker no longer poses a threat.
Strawman or not, it still proves the point. The aggressor was unconscious, thus the victim could have easily retreated. Instead, the victim started stabbing for various reasons. Revenge is one possibility. Whatever the reason is, the fact that the victim didn't retreat and instead started stabbing an unconscious aggressor is blatantly unjustifiable. The force used was thusly disproportionate.
No, it does not prove a point because your straw man isn't even remotely related to the topic at hand.

And FWIW, I've never said that you should keep attacking if the attacker no longer poses a threat. I don't know where you got that from.

here might be why:
Or to take it to the extreme: You manage to knock him unconscious and stab him multiple times. This is disproportionate use. We don't live in Tamriel where you can do whatever the fuck you want to someone as long as he delivers the first blow.

or this one:
The aggressor was unconscious, thus the victim could have easily retreated. Instead, the victim started stabbing for various reasons. Revenge is one possibility. Whatever the reason is, the fact that the victim didn't retreat and instead started stabbing an unconscious aggressor is blatantly unjustifiable. The force used was thusly disproportionate.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: September 18, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »

And all this over a weird rubber penis trap that probably doesn't even exist?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »

Quote from: lorb

Okay fine. In that case. My answer is one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:34:13 pm by Criptfeind »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: September 18, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

That goes back to an old philosophical question about what is action and inaction.

For me this question is 100% clear. Because for me doing nothing is still an action. If you decide to pull, one dies. If you decide not to pull, ten die. Being able to claim "Moral Superiority" for not "Actively" killing someone means jack shit when 1o times more death is caused then necessarily.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:12 pm »

The current conversation about measuring the value of people is pretty sad so I'm going to try and switch gears.

For me this question is 100% clear. Because for me doing nothing is still an action. If you decide to pull, one dies. If you decide not to pull, ten die. Being able to claim "Moral Superiority" for not "Actively" killing someone means jack shit when 1o times more death is caused then necessarily.
These sort of thought experiments are boring. I much prefer ones where the 1 person is your significant other, and the 10 are random people you've never met. Let's take the facelessness out of the victims and then some real morality might come into play.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: September 18, 2012, 06:41:18 pm »

If you're being raped and you have the option to stab someone in the leg or heart or abdomen in self-defense, you don't stab him in the heart or abdomen. Period. Those are vital areas that may kill him. You stab him in the leg to debilitate him long enough to make a hasty retreat and call for help. This is proportionate use.

Or to take it to the extreme: You manage to knock him unconscious and stab him multiple times. This is disproportionate use. We don't live in Tamriel where you can do whatever the fuck you want to someone as long as he delivers the first blow.

I want to be clear on your position here...

If the only option for self-defense is lethal force, do you think that it is immoral for a person to kill their assailant if it will prevent their rape?
If it was more likely that lethal force would result in their safety, do you think it is immoral for that person to opt for lethal force over non-lethal force which may not be adequate?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:39 pm »

The current conversation about measuring the value of people is pretty sad

Maybe I should feel bad about that, but I don't care.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: September 18, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »

Quote from: lorb

Okay fine. In that case. My answer is one.

Explanation why worth of every human life is infinite. Also my point is that every human has the same worth. Do you suddenly agree with me on that? Because you just assigned 1 to the rapist as well as to the rape victim. (Also please reread the very first post of this thread.)

Edit: You may also want to read this to form a coherent argument addressing why some humans somehow are worth less.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:56:08 pm by lorb »
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:24 pm »

The point is that assigning a simple number as 'worth' is meaningless.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 759