Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244349 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3285 on: September 27, 2012, 05:01:04 pm »

The thing about the US having no mandated paid vacation time, sick leave, or maternity leave has come up again.

Really?  That must suck.

Yeah... I've complained about my workplace a lot here... and it really is horrible... but I've stayed with them for three reasons.

1.  I have really good seniority, which means that I'm very last on the chopping block when they do lay-offs.  It's the best job security I could possible find right now.
2.  Decent health insurance benefits, which is incredibly rare in America right now.
3.  Four weeks worth of paid vacation (moving up to 5 next year), which is REALLY good by current American standards.

Many low-level jobs offer zero benefits and zero vacation.  American businesses in general have been treating their employees with barely hidden contempt and mockery in recent years, and are quite open about not giving a shit about families.  I've had to damn near get into a yelling match with my boss over the phone about taking government protected (via FMLA) UNPAID days off to take care of my son when my wife wasn't available to do so.  He's diabetic.  It's kinda important.  He could die.  Boss still thought I should be at work.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 28, 2012, 08:09:28 am »

Here, have something else to talk about: Israel lobbyist suggesting false flag attacks to get US to war with Iran: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84l19H68mk
Can anyone find anything about this guy being an Israel lobbyist outside assertions from conspiracy theory sites (visit the homepage linked from that video for an example of that)? The only history I can find for him are the IMF and World Bank, plus his work at the Washington Institute which is a general Near East policy think tank. Everything I've read about him makes him out to be a financial wonk who is also an expert on Iran. I'm having a really hard time finding the Israel connection.

As for his actual words, there is a little bit of context. After an hour long discussion (the part shown is around 1:15:15, with direct context for a few minutes before that) they are asked questions by journalists. One of them is about the US's ability, diplomatically and politically speaking, to use force against Iran in the case that they don't respond to diplomacy or sanctions and develop a nuclear bomb. The journalist asking mentions a poll showing that 70% of American are against such an intervention.

The first response is about Obama's being willing to use force as a last resort, based on his commitment to prevention of Iran getting such a weapon as opposed to a strategy of containment.

Then it's the guy in the video who solely addresses the popularity aspect of going to war with Iran. He basically says that the US rarely gets to declare wars without a clear threat to (or attack on) their own interests. As such, if the US were to go to war with Iran it would be most likely started by someone else.

It was odd language and phrasing, and the guy is somewhat weird (he later makes some remarks about Iranian subs that are odder than the clip shown IMO, suggesting covert military ops have a place alongside sanctions), but I actually think it's an interesting point and, frankly, right. If the US were to ever end up in an armed conflict with Iran it wouldn't be because they fired the first shots. IT would be because (most likely) Israel had made a strike against their nuclear facilities. The site of the Institute giving the talk have a lengthy article on that scenario that is worth reading.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:26 pm »

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-28/obama-leads-in-latest-swing-state-polls-as-debate-nears

I You declare yourself, "job and company killer"

"Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Mother Jones magazine has released a video of Mitt Romney in 1985 discussing Bain Capital. He says the firm manages companies to "harvest them at a significant profit.""

I mean, just wow. "Harvest" companies.... Harvest? He's not talking about farming. He's talking about being a corporate raider who goes in, takes all the value and leaves a trail of destroyed companies and destroyed jobs in his wake.

I don't understand how on earth people can vote for this man. He's basically written off half the country (47% including vets, the elderly, and tons of other people), and now he's on tape showing that much touted "business experience" consists of raiding companies, plundering the wealth and skipping a now jobless town.... And, they're still trying to spin this stuff somehow into something positive, which I can't imagine.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »

Though, to be fair, a proper "harvest" sows the seeds for NEXT years crop.

So you can stretch the metaphor to mean good things.

... Still bullshit, but fair is fair.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: September 28, 2012, 01:35:03 pm »

Though, to be fair, a proper "harvest" sows the seeds for NEXT years crop.

So you can stretch the metaphor to mean good things.

... Still bullshit, but fair is fair.
I don't know about you, but I'd prefer that human civilization maintain a exponential increase in quality rather than a cyclical process of great prosperity and mass die-off. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 28, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »

I think I have the GOP's plan figured out.

They know that the '12 elections are a lost cause, so they knowingly got a nutbag candidate so their next candidate '16 looks sane in comparison.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »

Nahh, they're too disorganized for a plan like that.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »

Yeah, or you can harvest apples without killing the tree.

Problem being, the Bain approach would be to harvest the apples, sell the apples, then chop down the tree and sell it for firewood, then take the chunks that weren't suitable for firewood and have them ground into pulp to sell to a paper mill.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:43 pm »

I think I have the GOP's plan figured out.

They know that the '12 elections are a lost cause, so they knowingly got a nutbag candidate so their next candidate '16 looks sane in comparison.

I'm not sure I've seen the republicans ever try to think in the long term. It's probably more of a "Meh, he's the best we could get (he's the one all our sponsors chose)".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 28, 2012, 01:39:51 pm »

Yeah, or you can harvest apples without killing the tree.

Problem being, the Bain approach would be to harvest the apples, sell the apples, then chop down the tree and sell it for firewood, then take the chunks that weren't suitable for firewood and have them ground into pulp to sell to a paper mill.  :-\
Then declare the orchard ground an industrial dumping site.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: September 28, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

I don't understand how on earth people can vote for this man. He's basically written off half the country (47% including vets, the elderly, and tons of other people), and now he's on tape showing that much touted "business experience" consists of raiding companies, plundering the wealth and skipping a now jobless town.... And, they're still trying to spin this stuff somehow into something positive, which I can't imagine.

At this point, I'm not sure if you shouldn't wish he won instead of Obama. His anti-charisma would ensure that it would be very hard for him to pass something actually harmful, at least without causing significant outrage. His opponent, at this point, can do almost anything he wants and no one will bat an eye, because he is still better than Romney. ;)

The joys of two-party system...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 28, 2012, 04:16:52 pm »

Someone shared this on Facebook.  Still not sure how the government "uses guns" to immorally steal money from the rich to give to the poor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:26 pm »

People who post things like that don't understand the concept of responsibility. You're getting "forced" to help people because it's your goddamn responsibility to help them, not because it's compassionate.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 28, 2012, 04:55:47 pm »

I really don't like Penn & Teller.  This is just one more case.  I understand what he's saying, but it's also pretty stupid if you think 10 more seconds into it.  Their show is also blatant political propaganda.  What really bothers me is they somehow manage to appeal to normally intelligent people who I would expect to be able to see through that kind of... bullshit.

Anyway, they're well-known as libertarian.  From the libertarian perspective, everything the government does is carried out with the threat of force behind it.  Very rarely is encouragement offered instead.  If you don't cooperate with what the government wants, you face an escalating series of consequences, which eventually involves guns and cages and years of your life.

Of course, what he's failing to include in his statement (because he's too busy, as usual, declaring absolutist moral ultimatums) is the obvious reality that most people don't have the resources to just go out and help the poor on their own.  In fact, most people are poor or one case of bad luck/judgment away from being poor.  The government exists, in theory, to give such people some power in society so they don't live purely as slaves to the rich.  I suppose he thinks such people are also immoral self-righteous bullying lazies.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:03:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3299 on: September 28, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/congresswoman-wants-protect-silly-internet-laws-002611165.html

Apparently, there is someone in government trying to keep things like SOPA from happening again.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 759