Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244364 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3840 on: November 05, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »

Well I doubt that they'll keep him in there post-mortem. Right?
It happened before. Belgium's prison system is a tad overcrowded*. Had a case of cannibalism a few years back. (Someone ate someone's lung).

*Take that as 200% above capacity on average. Also, often buildings are not in a very good shape.

10ebbor10, his wife had a lighter sentence, and there is a rational for freeing her (Namely that she was unde rhis influence). Dutroux will never, ever get out. He was condemned with a specific clause that allow the government to keep him longer if deemed necessary, and no government ever is going to free Dutroux.
That may be the case for Dutroux. But for Breivik, he may be released if his message is successful and his country descends to radical nationalism.
Or maybe if it's decide that he's crazy, at which point he's no longer accountable for his actions. Then it's psychiatry, and after that he's free to go.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: November 05, 2012, 02:20:08 pm »

Well, except being commited to an asylum mean you can't go out until you're cured. I don't see Breivik being "cured" any time soon.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »

A nation does not quickly forget the killing of dozens of children.  Even if Norway turned nationalist the outrage over the act itself would remain.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:47 pm »

Well, except being commited to an asylum mean you can't go out until you're cured. I don't see Breivik being "cured" any time soon.
But what if that's exactly what happened. (Hypothese here) Say Breivik is declared unaccountable for his actions(from that point he's actually set free off all charges, but forced into psychatry because he's a danger to the community), send into an asylum and after a few years gets out.

Would the public accepts that. I'm afraid they won't, which is sad.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: November 05, 2012, 05:09:25 pm »

Washington
Referendum 74 would determine whether same sex marriage would be legal in the state.
I've a personal investment in this, and am extremely hopeful that gay marriage will be legal there :D Woohoo!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:43 pm »

I know I'm approving 74.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: November 05, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »

if it's unnatural, why does it happen in nature?
Don't let logic cloud your mind! That's the method of Satan!
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »

uh, aren't civil unions already legal in washington?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: November 05, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

No. The bill passed the legislature months ago, but it was petitioned for a referendum vote. This is that. (And also, civil unions =/= same-sex marriage.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: November 05, 2012, 06:10:50 pm »

uh, aren't civil unions already legal in washington?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

Civil unions are legal. Marriage is not, and is hopefully soon to be.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: November 05, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »

Preventing someone from ending their life is basically the complete obliteration of bodily autonomy and express tyranny of one's will over another. People have the right to many plenty of other life altering decisions, why not give them the most important one?

Mind you, I honestly think we should move towards legalizing self-suicide before worrying about the euthanasia stuff. Allow doctors to set up a situation where a patient can self-administer, for example.

but that does not mean no kindness.
If you say I have no choice but to suffer for months in unbearable agony, or remain almost completely unconscious via drugs, all the while piling hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt on my family, expressly in opposition to my desires, "for my own good" - yes, an absence of kindness (or any shred of decency, respect, or recognition of my rights as a human being) is very much the result.

a. it would be abused, and though i recognize worst case scenarios, the circumstance above is a worst case scenario and it it would be rather more common for abuses of the allowance to take place. B. prison sentences are meant to serve as a deterrent as well as a way of helping the commiter of the crime. An enforced life sentence, or ideally until they realize why what they did was wrong in the worse cases, with the help needed to achieve it, can be viewed as harsher then a suicide in my opinion. Legalizing self-suicide is also unlikely to have any net positives, especially if you're held accountable for preventing them from doing such. I'm far from certain about this in general life however, and should be viewed on a case by case basis in my opinion. Take the case here in the UK for example, where a paralyzed man wished for the law to be changed so he could have assisted suicide. However, because of the potential for abuses, he was denied it and starved himself to death. On the other hand, take Terry Pratchett. He says if his conditions worsens to a certain point he'll end it while his mind is still working well, and i understand why. Wishing to end life on a high is understandable, though i don't know about his current stance. Personally, i take the view that any life at all is preferable to death so long as they'res the potential for some good in it, simply because we don't know what comes next and it could quite easily be simply an end. However, others take another view, often rather easily staved off by survival instinct and perhaps a subconscious awareness of logical fallacies which is why we don't have mass suicides, thankfully. In the end, however, the potential for people to be pushed off the brink intentionally or due to it being an easier option outweighs the possible gains, and i cannot support legalizing it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: November 05, 2012, 10:25:18 pm »

Civil unions are legal. Marriage is not
what's the difference?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: November 05, 2012, 10:27:31 pm »

We found out decades ago that "separate, but equal" doesn't really work.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:30 am »

what's the difference?
I'm actually unsure of the details, but yeah, "separate but equal" isn't equal.

If it's truly no different, then the law changes nothing except removing some added bureaucracy. Simplifies things. Which is good.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: November 06, 2012, 05:01:24 am »

what's the difference?

It differs from state to state but most differences fall in one of those groups:
taxes: there are a lot of tax breaks only open to married couples because civil unions can't file joint-tax returns
benefits: a lot of benefits open to married couples aren't to same-sex couples
adoption/parental rights: married couples always have a better (legal) standing here

edit: differences also exist for veterans benefits, health insurance, medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, immigration law ...

edit2: so "separate but equal" would actually be a huge improvement over the current situation
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:10:38 am by lorb »
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 759