Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247127 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3960 on: November 10, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

Pretty much.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: November 10, 2012, 06:19:18 pm »

A few permanent widened Calm Emotions would do for starters.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: November 10, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

So magic AND a lawful evil alignment 

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: November 10, 2012, 06:31:53 pm »

Nope, any bard or cleric can cast it.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: November 10, 2012, 08:00:19 pm »

First of all guns and ammunition aren't all that hard to make, ammunition is a bit harder to make from scratch but completely doable.
The problem isn't guns, guns have been apart of american culture since it's inception. Before columbine kids at my high school took hunting rifles with them to school so they could hunt after, it didn't have people dying left and right.

Guns don't magically make people into mass murderers, blaming guns diverts attention from the underlying problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: November 10, 2012, 08:06:24 pm »

The problem isn't guns, guns have been apart of american culture since it's inception.
The second part of this statement doesn't really refute the first

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: November 10, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »

Violent crime is going down and gun laws are at some of their laxest in US history, so I'm thinking there isn't a very strong correlation between the two.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: November 10, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

They're going down because people just couldn't figure out how to commit more in a shorter amount of of time and they had to take a break! [/snark]

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: November 10, 2012, 08:12:32 pm »

Oh, and I forgot to mention (though Kilroy did) that supporting a gun/ammunition ban would be political suicide almost anywhere in the US.

To not be royally trounced after doing so in the following election, the district would have to both be unusually progressive and anti-gun progressive at that. For example, if you tried to do so in Vermont, a veritable Democratic stronghold and one of the first to support the PPCA, you would be thrown out in five seconds because Vermont has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the US. Really, gun control on a large scale ceased to be politically viable somewhere in the 1990s.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:31 pm »

They're going down because people just couldn't figure out how to commit more in a shorter amount of of time and they had to take a break! [/snark]
They're going down because we're running out of victims. Send help before our murder economy crashes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: November 10, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »

You know it's possible that there is more than one factor affecting the violent crime rate.

Oh, and I forgot to mention (though Kilroy did) that supporting a gun/ammunition ban would be political suicide almost anywhere in the US.
Wait a second, am I getting a "majority is always right" lecture from a Ron Paul supporter?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: November 10, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »

You know it's possible that there is more than one factor affecting the violent crime rate.

Wait a second, am I getting a "majority is always right" lecture from a Ron Paul supporter?

Not right necessarily. Just pointing out that it wouldn't pass even if it was a good idea and there wasn't a gigantic pile of evidence showing gun control to be unsuccessful at stopping homicide.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: November 10, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »

Plenty of countries have gun ownership but low gun crime. Much as I have a strong distaste for firearms (I come from a culture where they're only really owned by police, military or criminals) it's not gun ownership in itself that's the cause of gun crime in the US.

It's because Americans can't fight using their fists like REAL MEN ;)
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: November 10, 2012, 10:35:44 pm »

A better vetting and re-qualification system would probably cut down on the number of accidental gun deaths (and the non-fatal incidents as well, of course), though, which are pretty far from non-zero. All I'm really after in the realm of US gun control is better pre-ownership training and an occasional checkup to make sure folks haven't forgotten what the hell they're doing. I've mentioned it before, but my own experiences with gun ownership and licensing haven't exactly filled me with confidence in the system as-is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: November 10, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »

Anti-gay and can't win in the USA? Bring the war elsewhere!

And then start an anti-gay rebellion anyway or something

It's amazing the sort of fear people have about equal rights.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 759