Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247100 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4470 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:20 am »

That would explain the (i hope) now dipping standards of the bbc.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:29 am »

While that answer is shocking and transphobic, can someone help me with pointing what's wrong with the original article? Implying that transsexual Brazilian look good? I'm just really not sure what the problem is.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:53 am »

Well I think it started by questioning what the reference was for all at all, I guess. It was the response to the response that actually upset people?

But I'll be honest, I have trouble understanding these sorts of people.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:03 am »

It's a weird generalization and seems to imply she has scorn for them.  It's a really minor thing and no-one was particularly annoyed about it until the really terrible Twitter response.

e: Also Brazil is the world capital of transphobic murders so it's in kindof poor taste
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:48:05 am by Leafsnail »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:47 am »

Actually, reading on some FB page, it seems like it's mostly that other article that made it worse.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:31 am »

Basically every newspaper in the UK is pretty heavily biased nowadays, probably as a result of the increased competition with websites as you guys have suggested. I've noticed it mostly since the independence debate started in Scotland two years ago - the Scotsman, a fairly decent newspaper that was about as unbiased as "The Independent" is today, shifted radically towards being one of the most biased broadsheet newspapers in the country (specifically a Unionist-centre-right bias, perhaps because of its ties to the powerful Edinburgh establishment). It's basically the Daily Telegraph now but slightly less up-front with its agendas. I think it's their new editor, who mysteriously won "editor of the year 2012" despite ruining the paper's credibility for people like myself and shifting the newspaper towards reporting with an agenda rather than just reporting. If I want full coverage on a story, I just compare the versions among several newspapers. I can wax lyrically on that subject but it would lead on and on, and probably draw us away from the Guardian controversy.

The Guardian is still a reasonably good newspaper, despite some pretty bad columnists. I wouldn't stop reading it if I were you, Leafsnail.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:53:40 am by Owlbread »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:43 am »

Yeah, and I guess it's actually the Observer editor who made the call on that one (I never read the Observer anyway).

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: January 16, 2013, 01:33:26 pm »

That would explain the (i hope) now dipping standards of the bbc.
This one might be more a part of the change in the style of leadership, sometime around when the board of trust took over for the board of governors there was a change in the style of leadership away from being something of a not for profit towards trying to make larger profits. At least that's the rumour I heard, not sure how true it is.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:43 pm »

More of the same I guess....

It seems no matter what, never good enough/as good as....

I've often found "ists" and "isms" don't get it. Seems feminism is no exception.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: January 16, 2013, 10:05:13 pm »

In everything there are extremist nutcases with fringe views. I myself have several views that people here have vigorously disagreed with me.

"Feminism" as a whole is pretty much an awesome thing (my only complaint is the name; should be "gender egalitarianism" or somesuch), but that doesn't mean any particular feminist is. And on top of that, someone can have great ideas/views in one category and horrible ideas/views in another. The latter does not discredit the former, so in this case, the original article is a-ok minus that little bit of transphobia.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: January 17, 2013, 12:17:53 am »

I think feminism should be egalitarianism just as much as black rights or gay rights should. Not at all. Why has it become acceptable to criticize feminism for not including men when it's still considered ridiculous to try and say the same thing about white people or straight people?

I guess people attempt to undermine every movement in different ways.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:19 am »

I'd say that feminism is a subset of egalitarianism, which is in turn a subset of equality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: January 17, 2013, 12:36:52 am »

I understand that goal. But there's saying feminism is part of egalitarianism, which sounds like it's working towards the ultimate goal of equality, which I believe is true. And then there's saying feminism should call itself egalitarianism, which sounds like feminism is flawed and should change its focus if it wants to achieve real equality.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:07 am »

I think feminism should be egalitarianism just as much as black rights or gay rights should. Not at all. Why has it become acceptable to criticize feminism for not including men when it's still considered ridiculous to try and say the same thing about white people or straight people?

The homosexual movement was strongly criticized (and rightly so, in my opinion) for quite a while for not extending their fight to cover bisexuals, and often trivializing their issues. Over time, as the movement has gained success, it has grown, and has become the LGBT movement.

This is a good thing, a normal thing. Without this, the incentives for those within the movement are only aligned with failures (successful movements persevere, this is their core attribute, and true success is destructive for it's participants unless the movement is able to evolve).

For feminism... one, women aren't a minority. Two, there is another group with very similar problems, i.e. serious fucking gender discrimination, that is a potential ally. Three, they are having lots and lots of success (though, as always, things take time, but their progress is steady). Finally, they can't actually succeed at their own goal until they DO join with this other group for a more general purpose, and building up resentment by maintaining a narrow focus is detrimental to their own cause.

Gay rights is the perfect example here, I think. It started out as just that, but criticism and success have led them to expand to "sexuality egalitarianism" in the form of the LGBT movement.

I don't think it's too much to ask that feminism grow up a little bit and become part of a larger, more inclusive gender egalitarianism movement.

And as these different groups succeed, and gain power, I think it should be expected they would merge again, until there is no more movement, there is only "the way things are".

To cling to a narrow definition of "feminism", to let feminism be the end, instead of just the beginning, is to doom it to failure right out the gate, in my opinion. If that's the case, it IS flawed, because you've created a movement and organization that in serving it's own best interest will insure that feminism's goals will never actually succeed.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:50 am »

Gay rights isn't a perfect example. They've taken other minorities and oppressed groups under their umbrella, whether it's bisexuals or transgendered people or anything else in the general queer category. But they haven't focused on straight people, and with good reason: that'd be absurd.

Gays accepting bisexuals is like blacks accepting latino/as. They're another oppressed group. You'd never expect blacks to fight for white rights, you'd never expect gays to fight for straight rights, yet everyone expects women to fight for men's rights. I understand they're not necessarily a minority, but being a privileged group consists of far more than having a greater population.

There's a difference between accepting men as allies to feminism and fighting for men's rights. Feminism has gladly accepted the former, just as many other movements have accepted their allies. But to ask them to fight for men's rights is asking them to do something other movements haven't done. It's asking them to do something other movements haven't needed to do and haven't wanted to do. But the popular "feminists hate men" rhetoric will only be satisfied when they have done this. And when they have, they'll have diluted their movement in a way no other movement has.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 759