Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246948 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4740 on: February 02, 2013, 05:54:15 am »

I think the idea you can study European history (aka white history) as separate from African history, American history, and Asian history is pretty ridiculous in the first place.

It's obvious why we need a Black History month, but I think a better solution would be to further integrate it into the teaching of history throughout the rest of the year. Black History Month kind of gives people an excuse not to do that, which is disappointing, because it should be a means through which that's accomplished.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:29 am »

The comments on the National Review article are priceless, actually xD They're really ripping into the article.

Apparently it's very similar to something that other commie Ronald Reagan said about the holocaust:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/01/1183861/-National-Review-outraged-that-Obama-called-Holocaust-senseless-violence
"Those who perished as a result of Nazi terror, millions of individual men and women and children whose lives were taken so senselessly, must never be forgotten." —Ronald Reagan, February 2, 1983
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:02:48 am by Reelya »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: February 02, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »

This takes "say the opposite of what the opposing party says" to a whole new level.

God, that takes meaningless partisan bullshit to a new level. It's admirable, honestly. If I was talking just to be an argumentative prick and to hear myself speak, I wish I could be that inventive.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: February 02, 2013, 04:47:42 pm »

It's a willful misinterpretation.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: February 03, 2013, 05:00:49 am »

In September last year, Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, the Roman Catholic archbishop of Lyon, argued that plans to redefine the concept of marriage would open the door to incest and polygamy.
o_O  Also, surprised France didn't have gay marriage sooner?  Always thought France was a big fan of that sort of thing.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:18 am »

France's current president is progressive (on the "left" side of politics). Sarkozy and Chirac, the two presidents before him, were conservatives. We just had the PACS, a civil union that is not marriage and that homosexual people can do.

And yeah, the opposition's arguments are a bit crazy sometimes. There was a huge manifestation against gay marriage not long ago, organized mainly by conservative catholics.

It's interesting to see that young people are overwhelmingly for gay marriage in France, and that this is much less true for their parents and grandparents. There's a generation change, which may also explain why that law wasn't done earlier. (Source, in French)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:01 am »

Also there is a huge disparity in religiousness between the young and the old there, with an overwhelming majority of young French having no religion.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: February 03, 2013, 07:38:54 am »

That is trend that is pretty consistent over the whole of western Europe.
This is a blank sig.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: February 03, 2013, 08:20:53 am »

With healthcare advances, we're going to have to put up with it for far too long as well.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: February 03, 2013, 08:34:22 am »

It is very evident in Scotland. When I was growing up all the people in their 50s-60s were going to church, even younger people as a matter of course. I even went to church as a little boy and my family wasn't particularly religious. I was baptised because that's just what people did. Primary schools were still tied to churches fairly closely. As time went on though and I got older I saw the number of people in the churches dwindling, ageing. They became meeting places for older people and places to go at Christmas time, even then only certain people would bother going.

Now in 2013 I look at the congregations that are almost unrecognisable and think on how important the kirk was to our identity after the act of union took our statehood away; religious activism and radicalism was what played a huge part in defining us in the late 1600s and throughout the centuries thereafter. The dawn of Calvinism also changed our Highland and Lowland societies very radically, even to the point that it's hard to imagine a Scotland without that in its history. Calvinism is about as important to the history of Scotland as Nazism to Germany or Communism to Russia. As we are losing what, in the words of a Gaelic poet, took the fire from our floors and put the fire in our hearts I wonder what will take its place. What will define our new identity for this millennium?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:35:59 am by Owlbread »

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:03 am »

Among european nations france has a particularly strong separation of church and state which helps the trend. (See here)
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:50 am »

Among european nations france has a particularly strong separation of church and state which helps the trend. (See here)

Although in the UK our head of state is also the head of the church of England. Not the head of the church of Scotland but down south they have a stronger link. A number of Bishops also sit in the house of lords and play a role in the governance of the country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: February 03, 2013, 01:37:44 pm »

In France, gay marriage is slowly being approved.
UMP MP Philippe Gosselin said the legislation was only the beginning of a trend that the French people did not want.

"Today it is marriage and adoption. Tomorrow it will be medically assisted conception and surrogate mothers."
I....don't see the problem here?
It is expected that the legislation will reach the statute books by the middle of the year, AFP reports.
Shit, SCOTUS better hurry the hell up. I am not going to watch France out-freedom America on this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 759