Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247016 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4860 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:44 am »

I hadn't even heard about any of that stuff.  All I've been hearing for the past couple years out of South America is how U.S. corporate mining and logging projects keep murdering protesters.

And sure enough, here's today's story.  Seeing stuff like this constantly.  Except usually the victims are protesting, and the names of businesses associated with the act are known (and trace directly back to the U.S.)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:22 pm »

Or rather than watching the BBC which is pretty shit, watch Al Jazeera, the BBC, France 24 and something like CNN so you can get the full picture from a variety of sources.

Agreed. There's been a sharp drop in quality, at least in England and most likely Britain.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: February 19, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »

Agreed. There's been a sharp drop in quality, at least in England and most likely Britain.

BBC Scotland is a very sorry excuse for a national broadcaster. They make an effort with what they have but it's just another little example of poor quality services that we put up with as Scots when we could be demanding so much better to befit a nation like us.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: February 19, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »

BBC Wales tries very hard, but there simply isnt anything worth reporting on, really.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: February 19, 2013, 05:38:49 pm »

BBC Wales tries very hard, but there simply isnt anything worth reporting on, really.

I'd say though that in Scotland there's a lot to report on that gets ignored and left to local newspapers. Instead we get the ubiquitous reporting of someone who was stabbed or hit by a car or something in a big city like Aberdeen or Glasgow, something silly, a bit of politics (probably about the referendum or Labour criticising the SNP for not looking at the "real" social issues - yeah, like putting tuition fees back in?), something cultural like a big fashion show or museum exhibition. There is so much more to us than that, and I'm sure it's the same in Wales.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4867 on: February 21, 2013, 02:07:19 pm »

Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gay-marriage-mississippi-newspaper-owner-140311568.html
I love the owner's comments.

The holocaust, bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Black Sox scandal are all historic. I'm in no way comparing the downtown wedding of two females to any of those events (even though some of you made it quite clear that you think gay marriage is much worse).

We have stories about child molesters, murders and all kinds of vicious, barbaric acts of evil committed by heinous criminals on our front page and yet we never receive a call from anyone saying 'I don't need my children reading this.' Never. Ever. However, a story about two women exchanging marriage vows and we get swamped with people worried about their children.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: February 21, 2013, 04:36:12 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gay-marriage-mississippi-newspaper-owner-140311568.html
I love the owner's comments.

The holocaust, bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Black Sox scandal are all historic. I'm in no way comparing the downtown wedding of two females to any of those events (even though some of you made it quite clear that you think gay marriage is much worse).

We have stories about child molesters, murders and all kinds of vicious, barbaric acts of evil committed by heinous criminals on our front page and yet we never receive a call from anyone saying 'I don't need my children reading this.' Never. Ever. However, a story about two women exchanging marriage vows and we get swamped with people worried about their children.
Newspaper is a pretty cool guy, he reports lesbian marriages and doesn't afraid of asshats.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: February 21, 2013, 05:56:24 pm »

No. Those motherfuckers understand, quite clearly, what their jobs are, and they simply don't feel the need to hide it anymore.

They know who pays their bills and who they work for, and it's not the public.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:04:50 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: February 22, 2013, 04:32:47 am »

No. Those motherfuckers understand, quite clearly, what their jobs are, and they simply don't feel the need to hide it anymore.

They know who pays their bills and who they work for, and it's not the public.

Don't worry guys, it's not as if word will get around! And even if it does, no one will care enough to look.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:45 pm »

Most importantly: Even if they care enough to look, what are they gonna do about it?

The defining feature of a lot of people in power, and that article made it clear, is simple - contempt for those they don't perceive as holding power. If you're not powerful yourself, you aren't important, and if you're not important, they don't want to be "annoyed" by you.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 759