Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247724 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5835 on: May 14, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »

Do people turn mean because they're helpless?

Interesting idea.  What do you guys think?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: May 14, 2013, 11:26:48 pm »

Weird thing at the end of the article (Can it not be both?), but other than that... hell, hell if I know. From what I've seen, we do try to excuse our inability to help others. It's... I'unno, one of those deeply hypocritical aspects of most societies I'm familiar with, where, especially when young, we're taught that helping others and loving one's neighbor and etc., and so forth, and so on is all important and good and crap, but apparently when we hit the point that it turns out that, hey, it can be pretty hard to do that shit so we start trying to figure out ways to not. And then we notice the methods other people around us (in our peer group, or elders) are excusing betraying those early lessons and just kinda'... join in. S'very natural.

Devaluing others is just one of those methods, I guess? If you can't or don't want to help someone who needs help, despite being taught that you ought to, well, obviously the problem must be in the one that needs help, right? You, yourself, can't be a bad person, after all... right? If you were willfully refusing to or unable to figure out a way to do the right thing, then you'd be a bad or incapable person, but you're not, so there must be something about them that justifies not helping. Even if there isn't. And so it goes. Lot of times it seems like it's not even explicit like that, just a kinda' subconscious heuristic people run certain problems they encounter through. "The fault must not lie with me."

But yeah, people in desperate straights turning nasty is... pretty standard fare. For whatever reason, that's pretty normal psychology for us monkeys. Awareness of the behavior is the first step towards avoiding it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: May 14, 2013, 11:54:47 pm »

Do people turn mean because they're helpless?

Interesting idea.  What do you guys think?

Kinda like Frumple says, I think there is a lot of truth to it, but it's not the whole picture.

I think it's all about self-respect.  The one thing I have definitely learned about human psychology in my 30 years is that it's capable of incredible contortions for the sake of self-respect, which I consider to be a more basic human need than even material survival.  People can lie in incredible ways to themselves about their own nature and the nature of others if it allows them to feel good about themselves.  Everything else seems to be an extension of this, including the observations of Just World Theory.

The only thing I don't understand is how it's so easy to lie to oneself.  I try to claw out the roots of my own dishonesties whenever I can, but of course it would be lying to myself to believe that I'm completely successful.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:51 am »

I think it's also the case that humans are, well, contradictory creatures, very contradictory creatures. I grew up in the rural South, but most of my best friends are urban coastal liberal types, and often ask "So...why are people in the Heartland so good and decent...except to gays and blacks and at the voting booth?" The short answer is that they're being dishonest, but I don't think that's the whole story; rather, the human psyche is capable of extreme inconsistencies. It's not necessarily a case of them just being good but ignorant, although I think much more can be chalked up to ignorance than one would think. Inconsistency is the base state of the human psyche.

And that being said, we are all inconsistent, and in some ways it's humanity's great but essential flaw. As Whitman wrote: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am vast; I contain multitudes."

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:03 am »

Doesn't explain the cause of inconsistency, though.  Such a quality existing on its own for no reason would be an easy problem to address with mere awareness.  People wouldn't bother to defend their inconsistencies if there were no reason for them.

In the case of prejudices such as racism, I once again see it as being about reinforcing self-respect by defining those different from oneself as being less genuinely human.  It allows for victimization of others for one's own benefit (or complacency) without loss of self-respect, and for generally thinking of oneself as better by comparison.  I don't think it's ignorance.  It's quite plain that human beings are human beings, period.  You can compare any two people on the planet, and they'll all be more alike than different.  Those differences are magnified by choice, even if a subconscious one.  It's just too psychologically convenient to do so.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: May 15, 2013, 08:50:35 am »

This might have been said, but I'm pretty sure that racism and such exist because even the lowest guy on the totem pole can still say "At least I'm not black/white/gay/asian/a woman/a man." And without those being bad things, it doesn't really make sense for them to derive pride from it. So they make-up (or rather, use the cultural idea) that those types of people are lesser.

Without being "Better" than the blacks/the jews/the gays/women/whatever, they have nothing.

Doesn't really explain racism and such in the higher ranks, but I don't think there's a silver-bullet "This is Why for Everyone". There rarely is.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:56 am »

IMO it's the same psychologically as bullying is. Step on someone else to bring yourself up by comparison. It's easier than self improvement.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: May 15, 2013, 10:16:08 am »

IMO it's the same psychologically as bullying is. Step on someone else to bring yourself up by comparison. It's easier than self improvement.

Victim-blaming is also cleaner and with more varied benefits.  You're not responsible for making the victim, you absolve yourself from responsibility to help, and you make it clear that you're better than the victim, or else you would be one too.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: May 15, 2013, 11:56:16 am »

In the higher ranks, at least since the (counter) idea became widespread, i usually consider racism to be either a useful tool or a sign that they're the subject of manipulation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:27:52 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:11 am »

As for the "it's not my fault", rationalization seems to be the usual route. I need this, it's not hurting anyone, it's good for society, etc. These boards show many examples. Edit: needlessly bitter remark No x, filed under sleep deprived.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:27:17 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: May 16, 2013, 08:20:20 am »

“My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.
This'll be the statement that sparks the revolution, mark my words.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: May 16, 2013, 08:47:40 am »

On the one hand, this kind of thing strikes pretty fucking deep at any notion of human dignity.

On the other hand, there's a small part of me that thinks... good for the disabled person that's taking money from both rich patrons and a megacorp at the same time?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5849 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:17 am »

Partially related to the rage thread topic, but I'll post it here instead...

http://www.copblock.org/27067/police-have-no-duty-to-protect-you/
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 759