Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247243 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5910 on: May 21, 2013, 03:10:14 pm »

Laws enforced 100% of the time tend to be equally if not more arbitrary.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: May 21, 2013, 03:18:38 pm »

I'm not saying the law itself was a good one.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: May 29, 2013, 01:05:01 am »

Crazy, oppressive, and untenable? It's a rare day we see legislation that is so utterly foolish.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: May 29, 2013, 06:24:37 am »

Seems a little ambitious to me. I mean, where are you going to get enough professionals to do this o.O?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: May 29, 2013, 06:50:00 am »

I guess it really depends on how they implement it. Although I'm wary of the personnal thing, don't like state-sponsored godfathers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: May 29, 2013, 07:02:29 am »

Seems a little ambitious to me. I mean, where are you going to get enough professionals to do this o.O?
Basically what they do with teachers in a lot of places. 20-30 families per professional and you're set. Maybe anywhere from sixty to ninety, depending on a staggered monthly schedule or somethin'. Though looking at that article that seems to suggest that each child gets a unique supervisor... hrm.

Sounds... kinda' interesting overall, if not necessarily appealing. Makes me wonder yet again why people seem intent on setting up half-assed creche systems, though. Why not go full monty? We've reached the point that we apparently don't trust parents to raise their kids (for reasons of varying coherence), so you'd think the thing to do at this point is set up a system that creates people we do trust for such an act, and then have them do it. Which is what the discussed thing is trying to go about, just via a massively inefficient method.

But overall, I'd say... hell, go for it. Don't let anyone else go that route for a few decades and let Scotland be the experiment. See how it turns out. They apparently want to have a go at it and it's a pretty massive change, so letting some empirical data spew out for a while before deciding how it went sounds like a good idea.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:31 am »

Wondering what people think of this.  The Scottish government has launched a plan to assign every child a state guardian who monitors family life and parenting style.

I'm very surprised. I haven't heard anything about this at all. It sounds exactly like something the Scottish Labour party would implement, the kind of thing that makes my skin crawl, that's why I'm so surprised it would come from the SNP. The reason for going down this route must be because of Labour's push in recent months for greater attention to be given to child care, so the SNP apparently felt that they had to do something radical. They have missed the mark by a mile in this case, unfortunately.

I will say, however, that I struggle to find other articles on the subject beyond stuff from David Icke, nor do I find any statements from the SNP. That particular newspaper is very, very anti SNP and biased heavily against independence. They have published a negative article on the subject of independence in literally every single paper since roughly September 2011 when they got a new editor, I've been tracking them for nearly two years. A Centrist, pro-business newspaper that represents the views of the wealthy, conservative Edinburgh establishment. They are very prone to blowing small issues way out of proportion and giving negative interpretation on the behalf of "impartial pundits" like David Torrance. Most of their most prolific reporters are related in some way to the Labour Party or tied in with other Unionist groups.

I'm going to wait until I read some more articles on the subject from at least the BBC, the Independent and the Herald (the most neutral papers/news sources we have) and hear an official statement before I make up my mind.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:03:41 am by Owlbread »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:11 am »

Yeah, I knew nothing of the source.  Half the reason I had no opinion to go with the article when I posted it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: May 29, 2013, 08:56:33 am »

The only sources I've seen on that were "See, this is why the SNP/liberals/gubment is bad! They're a nanny state!" articles. Not exactly unbiased.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: May 29, 2013, 09:55:00 am »

I don't think it would be all that untenable though, I would imagine all you'd really need would be something like your child's GP becoming an appointed state guardian for that child until they reach a certain age. There's nothing to say that each guardian would have to look after 1 kid and 1 kid only.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: May 29, 2013, 11:11:14 am »

Although, I think every family being assigned a resource of this sort would certainly be beneficial. I've known quite a few parents who'd kill for someone they could trust to ask some incredibly basic questions and get some incredibly basic answers, because everything they are told by everyone is often contradictory and clearly wrong. Of course, I've not seen an actual description of what this proposal will actually DO that holds it's own weight, so it honestly could be anything.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:27 am »

Although, I think every family being assigned a resource of this sort would certainly be beneficial. I've known quite a few parents who'd kill for someone they could trust to ask some incredibly basic questions and get some incredibly basic answers, because everything they are told by everyone is often contradictory and clearly wrong. Of course, I've not seen an actual description of what this proposal will actually DO that holds it's own weight, so it honestly could be anything.

The highly sensationalist nature of that article doesn't really help either. I mean, prattling on for several paragraphs about the creation of a dystopia is a bit immature.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: May 29, 2013, 11:52:05 am »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Not being able to catch bad parents until it is too late and the kid's psyche and life is permanently damaged has to be one of the main economic drains on society anyway, not to mention the spirality of this problem.

Completely unfeasable to actually implement in a quality-minded way and probably in great danger of corruption, though.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: May 29, 2013, 12:21:24 pm »

Yeah, the problem with that is we already HAVE that for the foster-care/adoption system... and it's fucking terrible. If this is the best they can do already, I'd hate to see what a huge increase in demand, like this, would accomplish. (Assuming "this" is anything like what is described)
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 759