Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244406 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5955 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:35 am »

... you wouldn't be losing reproductive capability, just establishing more or less total control over it. Assuming implementation was properly done, anyway. What's to be unenthusiastic about? Sounds like an improvement from the normal state of things, t'me.

If I can't ejaculate and have to rely on a state controlled supply every time I want a wean then that is neutering myself. I can still have a baby, but I would be neutered. I would rather not submit to something like that for the same reason that women would rather not have their husbands control their wombs; I don't want someone else to control my body or force me to alter it in any way.

I think this would be far better as a voluntary program than something forced on people, otherwise I'm going to have to go Logan's Run and live in the jungle somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:24:24 am by Owlbread »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:25 am »

Well from my understanding there is no loss in sexual pleasure, so that isn't really an issue.
As for having kids when ever you want... Over population, potential for bad parenting, we can't all be parents and have it work out blah blah blah political idealism huge amount of faith in humanity what could go wrong?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: May 31, 2013, 07:26:11 am »

Well from my understanding there is no loss in sexual pleasure, so that isn't really an issue.
As for having kids when ever you want... Over population, potential for bad parenting, we can't all be parents and have it work out blah blah blah political idealism huge amount of faith in humanity what could go wrong?

It's got nothing to do with sexual pleasure. I would rather have faith in humanity and suffer the effects of over population than submit to being neutered by the state. A voluntary program is preferable, in my opinion. If you guys want the state to provide you with an operation like that, by all means go for it. Maybe in the UK we could get the NHS to cover vastectomies.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:27:46 am by Owlbread »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: May 31, 2013, 07:29:20 am »

No the subtle self aware point I was trying to make was that I was having an unfounded level of faith in humanity by assuming that such a program wouldn't eventually be used as a method of silent genocide against some genetic trait.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:30 am »

Okay, first bit: You can still ejaculate, you're just sterile. Your issue is obviously with the latter bit, but don't misrepresent the process in question while you're taking issue with it, yeah?

The bits after that... sure. Properly implemented, though, it wouldn't be state "controlled" in the way you're likely thinking... access and whatnot would be entirely in the hands of the individual -- no vetting process, whatever. By and large you'd have more control over your body than previously, really, because you'd have absolute control over the reproductive process instead of leaving that bit up to varying degrees of physiological chance. At least insofar as the separately stored reproductive material goes.

The actual surgery aspect, sure, be welcome to have issues with. I wouldn't exactly disagree. But state enabled vasectomy, with complementary sperm storage? Sign me the blazes up. That sure as hell isn't being neutered in my book.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: May 31, 2013, 08:01:11 am »

Vasectomies can have nasty complications.  I thought about getting one for a while, but I found this rather intimidating.  The percentage may not look high, but I always look at these things in terms of a die roll.  It's almost the same as a 1 on a d20.  If this is something that were done to everybody, that would be millions of men subjected to a chronic pain condition, just in the U.S..

I'd also want my sperm stored in multiple locations and if I ever decide to make use of them, a dna test done to make sure there's no mix-ups before fertilization.

And yeah... it would be an enormous power granted to the government.  Should some prejudice ever get too popular, ensuring the destruction of a minority within a couple generations would be... disturbingly simple.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: May 31, 2013, 08:12:26 am »

Interesting how most of the sources in that article are over a decade old, hrm (and a couple of the ones that aren't seem to be referencing cases where it was done years previous.). Wonder if the process has improved, or that bit of data re: control group has been collected yet. Know of any more recent studies, SG?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: May 31, 2013, 08:32:29 am »

Nah... it was like 5 years ago when I looked into it, and I didn't dig that deep.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: May 31, 2013, 09:30:06 am »

So this happened in Nigeria.

Lawmakers in Nigeria passed a bill Thursday banning gay marriage and outlawing anyone from forming organizations supporting gay rights, setting prison terms of up to 14 years for offenders.

While the USA slowly improves, somewhere else goes to... It's almost as if there was a cosmic law that good must be balanced out by bullshit.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:29 am »

The situation in the US and Africa is actually linked: as the US turn more progressive, conservative gay-haters turn to Africa as the next battleground.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: May 31, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

Africa has hardly been a gay friendly place for some time now. The continent is split between conservative Christian factions and Sunni Islam, possibly the most gay unfriendly peoples on Earth. South Africa is the one and only African nation with any legal recognition of gay couples, and that was from a deeply unpopular judicial ruling.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: May 31, 2013, 09:38:30 am »

A lot of anti-gay laws are actually legacies of colonial rule.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: May 31, 2013, 09:57:22 am »

There are a bunch of Nigerians working at my boarding school.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: May 31, 2013, 01:47:36 pm »

In another part of the world, good things happened, at least.

Australia is slightly less crazy than expected.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: May 31, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »

There were Nigerian janitors working at my office for a while who said they don't listen to music because they think it's the devil.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 759