Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244395 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6060 on: June 09, 2013, 07:43:46 pm »

Tax info? How about your bank account. E-banking is not very safe if someone has access to all your data.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6061 on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:47 pm »

This is a strange petition. There is no damaging message in my opinion, the message is clear.
Adam Smith - a key figure of the Scottish Enlightenment who contributed greatly to British understanding of morality, philosophy and economics.
Matthew Boulton & James Watt - key engineers in the Boulton and Watt partnership who transformed the Newcomen engine that powered the industrial revolution.
Charles Darwin - His Magnum Opus literally shaped the development of the modern world.
Elizabeth Fry - English social reformer and humanitarian who fought for the humane treatment of all, especially prisoners.
Winston Churchill - Led Britain uphill during the world's bloodiest conflict through constant strife during which many times it seemed almost inevitable that Britain would lose to Nazi Germany - and left with victory.

The line-up of Adam Smith, Matthew Boulton, James Watt, Charles Darwin and Winston Churchill is absolutely quality. They are all famous, they all changed the world radically for the better and they certainly earned their reputations. As sad as it is to see Elizabeth leave the company of Elizabeth, Churchill fits so much better. If I had my way with the £5 note on its inception, it probably wouldn't have been Elizabeth Fry either - but Florence Nightingale. And even still, I'd cede that to Churchill.

And really, it is unfair to say Elizabeth II's done nothing to earn her face either.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: June 20, 2013, 02:43:09 pm »

My opinion of Churchill is generally unfavorable. He was a warmonger and imperialist, trying to maintain the British Empire as long as possible and violently crushing most revolutions. Just look at his comments regarding Gandhi.

On the plus side he fought off the Nazis.

I won't argue if you think that a net positive. I just wonder if they guy would've been so well regarded by history had he led in peace time, or if his legacy would've been closer to Margret Thatcher's.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6063 on: June 20, 2013, 02:49:07 pm »

I just wonder if they guy would've been so well regarded by history had he led in peace time
Resounding 'no.'

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: June 20, 2013, 02:54:41 pm »

I just wonder if they guy would've been so well regarded by history had he led in peace time
Resounding 'no.'
How so?

Without WWII, imperialism and colonialism would probably not have been 'bad' for a couple of decades more.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: June 20, 2013, 03:02:43 pm »

Yeah, but you only ever judge the last ones.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: June 20, 2013, 03:11:42 pm »

It's all about being the right person doing the right thing in the right place at the right time.

Any one of those changes and you'll either end up forgotten or well known in a bad way.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:27 pm »

Other than his leadership in WW2 Churchill was pretty awful and has a lot of historical baggage.  It would be better to stick to people who unambiguously contributed to the knowledge of mankind.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »

Winston Churchill represents most things that I loathe about Britain. In fact, if I wanted to imagine something to intensify my hatred for Britain and my desire to leave it I'd just imagine Winston Churchill's big, smiling fucking "national treasure" face smoking that big cigar, making bigoted, narrow-minded platitudes over a few glasses of expensive wine with Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair and Sir Walter Scott. Maybe I'd have Bruce Forsyth tap dancing on a quivering, naked Andrew Neil in the background for good measure. Guys like Nye Bevan, Clement Attlee and the rest of the government that replaced Churchill after 1945 on the other hand represent the stuff I really respect. They defined what Britain could be under good governance. I haven't seen the like of them in quite a while, however.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:52:46 pm by Owlbread »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: June 21, 2013, 03:06:41 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-last-mystery-of-the-financial-crisis-154447818.html

Prosecute.... Prosecute, prosecute, prosecute....

For the love of ... if you or I did that, they'd skin me alive.... (even if it was you that did it, I'd end up being skinned knowing my luck).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:10:33 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: June 21, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »

... days and days I end up wondering if shit like that shouldn't be a capital crime, or at least a life sentence. We put people to death for harming a handful of people, but when filth like that collaborate and fuck over thousands, millions of people, they get off with a proverbial slap on the wrist.

Groups like that shouldn't be fined a fraction of their net worth, the entire bloody thing should be liquidated and those responsible have their assets seized, be forced into community service for the rest of their lives, and never allowed to experience wealth greater than minimum wage again. Never going to happen but goddamn if it wouldn't be a better reaction than the farcical shit being shoved down our throats :-\

Of course, there seems to be buggerall our side of the equation can do about it. S'as depressing as it is damned enraging.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6071 on: June 21, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »

It is economic warfare against the people of the united states of America. In my book that constitutes treason.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: June 21, 2013, 03:54:43 pm »

It is economic warfare against the people of the united states of America. In my book that constitutes treason.
The rest of the world was hit too. Don't centralize this on the USA alone.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6073 on: June 21, 2013, 03:59:12 pm »

I am aware, but we don't have the legal framework to execute them for crimes committed in other jurisdictions (I do not consider the patriot act and the bullshit extrajudicial executions that flow from it and a few other bills to be valid). Give them a fair trial, then put a bullet in their head.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: June 21, 2013, 05:23:52 pm »

I am aware, but we don't have the legal framework to execute them for crimes committed in other jurisdictions (I do not consider the patriot act and the bullshit extrajudicial executions that flow from it and a few other bills to be valid). Give them a fair trial, then put a bullet in their head.
Oh, you americans and your executions... Why not do something that actually hurts them and make them legally liable for damages?
Ratings agencys have been less than helpful in the Euro-crisis, there was a lot of talk about having european ones soon, to counter the balance (They do like to rate EU countries down, but the US? No.)
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 759