Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247669 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7725 on: September 11, 2013, 05:34:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure the neighborhood my parents have lived in the past 13 years is 100% white.  And a couple Halloweens ago in said neighborhood, there was a guy running around in a blackface mask and a t-shirt that said something about Obama.

Honestly a lot of things sort of confuse me about racism... In that I HONESTLY don't know why some things are racist.

Though I consider it to be a byproduct of my relatively sheltered upbringing where I didn't even know racism was a thing until much later.

Which paradoxically enough made me feel more awkward because now I feel like there is a expectation of appearance I am meant to keep up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:37:29 pm by Neonivek »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: September 11, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure the neighborhood my parents have lived in the past 13 years is 100% white.  And a couple Halloweens ago in said neighborhood, there was a guy running around in a blackface mask and a t-shirt that said something about Obama.

Honestly a lot of things sort of confuse me about racism... In that I HONESTLY don't know why some things are racist.

Though I consider it to be a byproduct of my relatively sheltered upbringing where I didn't even know racism was a thing until much later.
Crazy 'murricans saying blackfaces are racist :v
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: September 11, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »

Yeah, it isn't as "self-explanatory" is one might think Dutchling, especially since "ALL" blackface is considered racist. Which I can only guess the reason it is "racist" is because of association.

Though once again I think it is more about me being blissfully ignorant. Or if someone takes offense to that, put it under just plain ignorant.

Just so this thread doesn't go somewhere dark. I am not saying there is nothing racist about it, I assume there is. I am just saying that I lack a certain cognizance as to why.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:43:18 pm by Neonivek »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: September 11, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »

I am offended by those bad wigs though

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »

NYC is arguably the most diverse place in the country. The Wiki says:
Foreign Born: 37%
White: 44.6%
Black: 25.1%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Asian: 11.8%

Also we apparently have more Asians then LA and San Diego combined and the largest colony of Chinese outside of Asia, and the most Puerto Ricans outside Puerto Rico, and more Jews then Tel Aviv.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:27 pm »

It's racist because it's intentionally goofy parody of appearance.  Originates from and reflects a time when black people were considered mentally inferior.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: September 11, 2013, 05:50:39 pm »

It's racist because it's intentionally goofy parody of appearance.  Originates from and reflects a time when black people were considered mentally inferior.

Yes but why does that even count when the blackface is good?

I'll stick away from "Why isn't the reverse or self-referential racist" since that is just a time sink of horror when it comes to intelligent conversation since there is no set answer.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:35 pm »

Yes but why does that even count when the blackface is good?

I'm not sure what you mean.  "Blackface" refers to a very specific thing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: September 11, 2013, 05:55:58 pm »

Well, I obviously just meant the use of blackface make-up. Still racist to you?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: September 11, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »

My father had a golliwog as a stuffed toy as a child and used to watch men dance and sing in blackface on television in the 1960s and 1970s. They were called the Black and White Minstrels. Everyone watched them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:19 pm »

I am definitely on the "That's racist" side of things here. Jesus Christ, Europe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:25 pm »

I am definitely on the "That's racist" side of things here. Jesus Christ, Europe.

It gets worse. This is the old world we're talking about after all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: September 11, 2013, 06:10:28 pm »

Gonna admit it--I grew up reading an original copy of Little Black Sambo.

Yup.  Definitely very racist.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: September 11, 2013, 06:10:41 pm »

It's more of a Dutch thing.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: September 11, 2013, 06:22:14 pm »

Britain during the second half of the 20th century had fascinating attitudes towards race as our Afro-Caribbean and South Asian populations grew. The 1970s and 80s were the golden age of racist comedians like Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson, who remains popular to some extent in Australia I hear. We had the Black and White Minstrels, we even had a sitcom called Love Thy Neighbour which dealt with a white, middle class suburban couple living next to a black couple.

During that period we also saw the growth of the National Front and ethnic nationalism along Fascist lines, we saw skinhead culture morph from white middle class youths listening to Jamaican-influenced music to groups of Neo-Nazi thugs, we saw the great "Rivers of Blood" speech by the Conservative politician Enoch Powell in which he described the dangers of a future where the "black man holds the whip hand over the white man". That said, one has to juxtapose a startling innocence and simple lack of understanding (the sort that can be seen in my first paragraph) with this darker side. We were, in some ways, miles behind the USA in our attitudes towards race by the 1970s and 1980s, though ahead in others.

This, however, primarily applies to England, not Scotland. Scotland was even more sheltered. In my home town in its hayday in the '70s when it must have had a population of over 100,000 there were no black people, though there were perhaps one or two South Asian families. Very few though, to the point that when a black gentleman named Cyril came to the town and played for my father's hockey club he was a novelty. Contrast that with my mother in London who was taught mathematics by a black teacher.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:29:49 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 759